Murtagh at Ballydoyle

I would have him number roughly 4 or 5 in Ireland. Very able jockey but not one you want in a Group 1 race.

Depending on who you are Wayne Lordan, Fran Berry and Declan McDonagh would be the next chocie of the majority after Smullen and Murtagh.

I think McDonagh is closer to the other two than Berry and Lordan . I also think Lordan is better than Berry as is O'Donoghue.

And now... rolls of drums... Johnny M is off to ride for the Aga next year! I say, I say, I say, this gets more fascinating all the time!

And now... rolls of drums... Johnny M is off to ride for the Aga next year! I say, I say, I say, this gets more fascinating all the time!

It would be a half decent job if Murtagh got the European Aga retainer. If Murtagh had the Aga job this year he would have missed out on his biggest winner - the Oaks - Ulster version as he couldn't have made the weight! Will he ride the maiden fillies sent down to Tramore to get their bracket?:p

Any reason why Oxx does not get the same level? Interesting to see the grade of horse Halford might get now.

you dont have to be a genius to see the difference

the bloods of Legardere and even the french horse are clearly better horses.
I think Oxx is a much better trainer than Dupre and the results are not there because he ahs not the amunition.

when you win a race in france you have a big bonus if your horse is FR bred
it is called owner premium
for example sarafina won 1.10M€ + a 500 000 € bonus because she was born in france

Last edited:
I'm not surprised Berry got the heave. I had my doubts when he started the season, but as I had him backed for the Championship I followed him through most of the year and there was a few months when he was just riding badly. He's a bit of a one-trick pony and not a Group 1 jock really, so Pathfork must be some horse!!

I think Johnny could be champion jock next season. He will be riding for plenty of trainers and will surely be hungry. Berry will ride full time for Harrington and a few other trainers. He will still do well for himself.

Will Berry not still be on the other Oxx horses or have they completely split?

Is that a tenable position?? Surely the majority of Oxx's stable is from the Aga and I'm sure plenty of the other owners would be happy to have Murtagh on. Maybe they will go back to the Kinane/Oxx days where Fran heads off to the gaff tracks. Berry may be happy as Harrington's flat string increases.

I'm not surprised Berry got the heave. I had my doubts when he started the season, but as I had him backed for the Championship I followed him through most of the year and there was a few months when he was just riding badly. He's a bit of a one-trick pony and not a Group 1 jock really, so Pathfork must be some horse!!

I think Johnny could be champion jock next season. He will be riding for plenty of trainers and will surely be hungry. Berry will ride full time for Harrington and a few other trainers. He will still do well for himself.
Johnny may have a chance to be champion jock next year - but how many group ones??Who will use him at big meets in the UK?? Aren't all those decent rides taken?? I see a bleak time ahead for him!

You can knock Tom Queally out of your equations, too. He came into Lingfield for his rides today and I asked him if he'd had 'the phone call'. Said no, he hadn't had the call, but even if he did get it, he was very happy where he was and wouldn't take up any offer. Agreed that the Ballydoyle way of doing things is just way too detailed and doesn't give jockeys any scope for using their own brains, and freely opined "I wouldn't be surprised if no-one wants to ride for them". Didn't think that any of the fussiness came from the owners, either.

You can knock Tom Queally out of your equations, too. He came into Lingfield for his rides today and I asked him if he'd had 'the phone call'. Said no, he hadn't had the call, but even if he did get it, he was very happy where he was and wouldn't take up any offer. Agreed that the Ballydoyle way of doing things is just way too detailed and doesn't give jockeys any scope for using their own brains, and freely opined "I wouldn't be surprised if no-one wants to ride for them". Didn't think that any of the fussiness came from the owners, either.

Well done and thanks Krizon. That's as informative a post on here as I have read in a long time. Can I put you on my payroll?

Last edited:
I'm very, very cheap. Steak and chips once a month, but a regular supply of Krispy Kreme donuts and the occasional Fry's Turkish Delight. Shall we say next Monday?

Back