Music

During lockdown I watched the whole ring cycle (not all in one go)

It wasn't even a grind, I enjoyed all four operas. The Welsh Soprano Gwyneth Jones was the highlight performer.

All are available on YouTube, all from around 1980.

I've never really seen the point of live albums. For concerts, the only point is actually being there.

There is a one session recording that most will have heard of but wouldn't include in the category. In the mid/late seventies I lived in a place called Northwood Hills (north of Harrow) and had my haircut at a trendy place near the Met line station. One day, the usual crimper said that some of his friends had been working on a concept album that required a spoken part and the producer had manged to get Richard Burton onside to do it. He apparently turned up at the agreed time (a surprise to most) and, having had no previous sight of the script, proceeded to make the recording in a single take. Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

Having said I'm not keen on live recordings, I'm more open to DVDs. This is just a brilliant show and possibly qualifies as I believe there was a CD available. Live In Dublin!

Big Fan of the Boss and never seen that so thanks Archie. I'm having a bit of a fad on Fleetwood mac and will always be totally in love with Stevie Nicks.

https://youtu.be/1sQ7cuYgjzw

I’ve only just realised I can get Sky Arts on my telly and their music programmes are brilliant. Last night was devoted to Paul Weller. Lots of concerts too.

I’ve only just realised I can get Sky Arts on my telly and their music programmes are brilliant. Last night was devoted to Paul Weller. Lots of concerts too.

This is a great channel - only 'found' it after another re-tune. They've had documentaries about the Jam as well, who I was really into when younger. Not just music, also some fascinating programmes about actors; the one on Buster Keaton was absolutely amazing, incredible some of the things he produced as well. Also Jerry Lewis , which I think I mentioned before so apologies, who I loved when I was little, was not only very revealing and informative about him as a man and producer, but also very sad ultimately.

Back