Music

My current favourite (and slight obsession!) Jack Savoretti is playing in the Centaur Building at Cheltenham Racecourse on 31st October. I have tickets.....obviously!

My sister bought me a while ago Parallel Lines - which I played to death in the ...whenever I had it previously :) , and after I had commented that they/she was nowhere near as good when seen in concert a few years ago - her voice had gone I thought, she thinks this is some kind of code for buy me something by Blondie...... (My sister lives in a world of her own....aside from anything else she continually confused Paul Young with Paul Weller...books/albums...... I liked the Jam, Vivienne but that was 30 years ago...yes I loved Paul Young as well ...but Weller now, not so much...doesn't matter how many times....anyway I digress )
I had memories that it was a great album, but what a GREAT album! Some added tracks at the end, a version of Heart Of Glass which is just fabulous.

i will say one thing about Blondie (maybe two) they have some amazing songs that have aged really well much better then their music videos.

Yes; we saw Blondie a few years ago when they'd reformed and they were disappointing. INXS [obviously without Michael Hutchence [sp]] were much better. Their early stuff really has aged well, though. I'm still in a 'folk phase' my current favourite band being The Rails'.

I seem to have gone off listening to music [it happens sometimes] but I have been digging out some cd's that I haven't listened to for a long time. I have 4 Laura Marling cd's. All totally boring. I wish I could understand why I kept buying her stuff given that they never got less boring. All I can assume is that they had rave reviews somewhere. It's puzzling me. I did, however, get out some Blue Aeroplanes and find that I never go off their stuff. Which is a relief as I always think that when I really stop listening to music that's when I'm really really old.

RIP Neil Peart.

Been a fan since the late 70s and I always remember my dad taking me to the 83 Cup Final (Brighton, Man United) and Rush were playing at Wembley Arena the evening of the game - tried persuading him to get some tickets but it was a no go)

I know, I can't count:

Van Morrison Live In San Francisco

Jodi Mitchell Shadows and Light

Weather Report 8:30

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue (each side was recorded in a single session)

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense

B B King Live In Cook County Jail

Hijack thread a little

I'm not a music person

But if you had to select 3 to 5 live albums\sessions as must listens

What you got

KISS - Alive II
Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monterey
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

I've never really seen the point of live albums. For concerts, the only point is actually being there.

There is a one session recording that most will have heard of but wouldn't include in the category. In the mid/late seventies I lived in a place called Northwood Hills (north of Harrow) and had my haircut at a trendy place near the Met line station. One day, the usual crimper said that some of his friends had been working on a concept album that required a spoken part and the producer had manged to get Richard Burton onside to do it. He apparently turned up at the agreed time (a surprise to most) and, having had no previous sight of the script, proceeded to make the recording in a single take. Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

Having said I'm not keen on live recordings, I'm more open to DVDs. This is just a brilliant show and possibly qualifies as I believe there was a CD available. Live In Dublin!

Last edited:
Back