Naaqoos

Gamla Stan

At the Start
2000 Guineas winner for me, if they go to Newmarket rather than Longchamp with him. Head said he'd be considering Newmarket as he thinks it'll suit the horse.

He ran the Grand Criterium in a blistering time and had plenty up his sleeve at the finish, he also should continue to improve and 19/1 on Betfair looks huge to me.

I cant remember a worst Grand Criterium than yesterdays, I dont think the winner is evena gr2 horse.

I think they're a poor bunch this year, and long held suspicion about the O'Brien pair, as they were 8-10L's off what truly top performers were registering with me in years gone past. Mastercraftsmen duly confirmed this for me, though I was tickled by Damien Walker saying that RipVonWinkles chances had "just improved" and we've clipped him in 2pts. His chances hadn't improved. They remained no different. As neither horse is good enough at this stage, and he still has own limitations to contend with at this stage of his development. Having said that, it's not unheard for a golden generation of 2yo's to 'go wrong' and a modest bunch to 'come on'. If a score of 100 is normally needed on the speed scale that some of use, no ones really peppering it like Zarkava, Natagora, Teofilo, Holy Roman Emperor, and to a lesser extent New Approach, Authorized and Dutch Art who were high 90's merchants of recent years. Mind you, there's a few Ibn Khalduns and Evening Times to throw in there for balance.

I haven't decided about Naaqoos yet as there appears to be a race missing from yesterdays results. I think he's the fastest I've got this year, but he's not at such a level that suggests that something can't go past him.

At this stage I've normally good about half dozen quiet fancies. This year I haven't got one

Which race is missing Warbs? There was an Arabian race on that might be what you're thinking of.

Naaqoos is a gorgeous animal to look at - his stride is amazing and he literally floats over the ground. I like this one! I reckon we should have a nice crop of three year olds next year, especially considering that I don't usually get taken by 2yos but I already love Cityscape, Naaqoos and Proportional and think they'll be lovely beasts next year with another season on their backs.

Last edited:
I think they're a poor bunch this year, and long held suspicion about the O'Brien pair, as they were 8-10L's off what truly top performers were registering with me in years gone past. Mastercraftsmen duly confirmed this for me, though I was tickled by Damien Walker saying that RipVonWinkles chances had "just improved" and we've clipped him in 2pts. His chances hadn't improved. They remained no different. As neither horse is good enough at this stage, and he still has own limitations to contend with at this stage of his development. Having said that, it's not unheard for a golden generation of 2yo's to 'go wrong' and a modest bunch to 'come on'. If a score of 100 is normally needed on the speed scale that some of use, no ones really peppering it like Zarkava, Natagora, Teofilo, Holy Roman Emperor, and to a lesser extent New Approach, Authorized and Dutch Art who were high 90's merchants of recent years. Mind you, there's a few Ibn Khalduns and Evening Times to throw in there for balance.

I haven't decided about Naaqoos yet as there appears to be a race missing from yesterdays results. I think he's the fastest I've got this year, but he's not at such a level that suggests that something can't go past him.

At this stage I've normally good about half dozen quiet fancies. This year I haven't got one

On a line through Intense Focus and Bushranger, Mastercraftsman has run below form.

To suggest Sundays race was a fair reflection of his ability is folly, he has beaten Intense Focus on THREE occasions before Sunday but couldn't beat him yesterday.

Fair play to you, you did spot Natagora early on...but she has hardly proved to be an exceptional 3 year old.

Last edited:

If Naaqoos achieves less than Rio De La Plata, I'll be very surprised and disappointed. Had my largest antepost bet on Naaqoos, which granted isn't a massive amount but is more than I'd normally stake on a 20/1 shot which is 50/50 to show up at Newmarket in May.

He's the fastest 2 year old I've seen this year and if he was trained by Sir Michael Stoute, he'd be clear favourite now. He had plenty left up his sleeve, he'll improve and he's in very very good hands. 20/1 is absolute madness. I'd really like a French Derby price but I have no chance of getting one.

His rather high knee carriage suggest to me he wouldn`t like fast ground, but there are precious few at the head of the market with much to commend them, apart from trainer identity. So it doesn`t look a bad bet by any means.

I note that Rip Van Winkle heads the ante-post markets for both the Dewhurst and 2000 Guineas and Timeform haven`t even got him in their top ten 2yo`s.

Fair play to you, you did spot Natagora early on...but she has hardly proved to be an exceptional 3 year old.

But she was available at 109/1 when I spotted her (and no I didn't). I'd rather have one winner at that price though, then a dozen bets on Aidens short priced fillies? He's only won the thousand guineas once hasn't he?

I'm only using previous figures I've recorded as a benchmark, and at the moment Ballydoyle have got nothing compared to what they've previously hit (with me). I don't expect O'Brien to be winning either Guineas at this stage. However, the only thing that might get him out of jail is there doesn't appear to be a great deal else, and he is without doubt the master of getting one right on the day.

nope, the Godolphin horse I'm told goes to America to be aimed at the K Derby.

The one on Thursday I will post friday morning if it runs, its a tool and a half but the yard don't want it blasted about, but I will post it before it runs once declared. This is considered the best the yard have ever had and works with over 100 horses on the bit. It will win first time out and should be a Guineas/Derby horse, I'm not saying anything more at the moment.

Last edited:

Doesn`t matter. The 1000 Guineas is one of the better races to punt on ante-post. One of the reasons being most years it takes feck all winning. Pick a good looking 2yo with a touch of scope and a decent rating and long term you`ll show a profit.

Agreed there Euro, it's certainly one of my most profitable races and I still (probably foolishly) maintain that had Evening Time been fit and had run at Newmarket, she would have hacked up that year.

The French filly looks terrific value against the Gosden hype horse.

If it's the Gosden horse at Lingfield, half of Newmarket will have been talking about it already I'd have thought - that's the way it usually happens.

Back