New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm Niki, I'm a massive National Hunt fan, have been since I saw Desert Orchid in the snow as a kid. My real deep interest was later, first going racing for the Welsh National 93 when Riverside Boy win. The first horse I backed was Mysilv, a winner at the same meeting.

I did a half a pHd and worked at the Tote in Oxford part time. Then later I got a job, dare I say it? At the BHB (before it was BHA!) but they made me redundant on my return from brain surgery.

I'm now permenantly disabled and spend a lot of time watching ATR and the replays on RUK website. I'm not that interested in the Flat, but Sea The Stars did entice me, and then Frankel made me very interested, but I stick to the pattern.

My most favourite horse ever was Doran's Pride, I followed him from early on, and was always so impressed with the way you'd miss human the parade ring and then light up when he was on the course. He broke his leg right in front of me at Cheltenham. It was the greatest ever test of my love for this game.

I don't bet, I learnt working in the bookies that its best if you only bet what you can afford to lose! I usually dabble at The festivals. I wish I could bet more butts not my main interest.

I am a member of the EDPS racing club, who have shares in 4 horses. They are not champions, but they are trained as naturally as possible, hopefully barefoot as well. Shilpa was our winner but sadly partially severed a tendon when another horse fell beside her and is unlikely to run again. Even when they don't win it's tremendously exiting and we can't all be JP's or Ricci Rich's...

It's nice to finally find a racing forum.

Niki x

Welcome Niki you'll love it here great bunch of guys most of which would argue that black and white are the same colour which of course they are ;)

Sorry I never went onto this page back in January when I joined. I should have done.
But thanks to everyone for making me welcome and I hope I don't make too many errors.
Especially interested in flat racing and breeding. Probably a bit past it now.

And to whomsoever said it, I'm not Arkle, here's something from the past. (Mr Evzona is our hero)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F14761346?thread=6930092&skip=20&show=20

Hello from the black beast!

Actually my name is Alan, but I thought Bete Noir was a good pun for a gambling guerilla (not gorilla - I am not monkeying about here :p).

I may be a newbie on but I am an oldie in racing terms having followed UK racing for over 60 years. Began when I was an apprentice in a textile firm in Manchester in 1951. During the half-hour lunch break (chips with HP sauce) I used to listen to the tradesmen discussing how to pick four for a yankee from the Daily Mirror race page. Usually one to beat the fav from four non-hcaps, had to be 1, 2, 3, 4 last time out and a D if not C&D winner. I was then despatched with the bet and 11/- (that's 55p - and as a tradesman's wage was £10 a week, a fair sum - I was on £2.50) to find the bookies runner in the greasy spoon caff around the corner. He used to sit by the window where he could keep an eye out for any rozzers (as street betting was illegal and no betting shops in those days - but chicken tasted like chicken, just thought of that :lol:). Enough of that, as I am sure you coudn't care tuppence about my experiences :).

Anyway I live in the West Midlands nowadays, still doing the geegees, my local jumps track is Uttoxeter and I like Chester for the Flat.

Hello all, technically im not a newbie but really i am.

Looking forward to getting properly started this time!

Happy punting today!

Hey guys, new around these parts but used to post on Neigh ( same username) and as that has now vanished I said Id give you lads a chance!

Been following National Hunt for over 15 years and think flat racing is for girls :D

Hey guys, new around these parts but used to post on Neigh ( same username) and as that has now vanished I said Id give you lads a chance!

Been following National Hunt for over 15 years and think flat racing is for girls :D

You'll fit in just fine with all the hedge jumping loving girls on here. It's best to pretend Hurricane Fly is a good horse and not a failed flat bred to appease Grasshopper and CO.

You'll fit in just fine with all the hedge jumping loving girls on here. It's best to pretend Hurricane Fly is a good horse and not a failed flat bred to appease Grasshopper and CO.

Ban this scumbag!

PS. Good to see you again Beefy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back