New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, they were the golden years alright! Decoupage was my boy when I was there.

If memory serves the only owners of Mumuqa I met were Jim Brown and his wife? Were they/one of them American? I seem to remember that being the case.

Yes, they were American. They bought Mumuqa and sent him north. My name's Mike. I used to come down for a stable visit on a Saturday morning every month or two. I think Mick was looking after Mumuqa at the time.

Hello all,

Not sure how long this forum has been going but i've only just found it ! :laughing: I'm a regular poster on the FISO Fantasy football forum

http://www.fiso.co.uk/forum/index.php

but have noticed that I spend most of my time posting on the betting forum on that particular site so i've been looking to branch out and contribute more on some other 'Racing' forums. I have been a member of Betfair (aka Shrews), OLBG(Shrews) and The Racing Forum (Prince Chicaf) for some time now and haven't posted on those much but have done so a little bit more of late.

I like the flat and jumps but seem to have more luck on the flat, especially The Lincoln (and yep, I did have Smokey this year). I like the big flat handicaps the best and most of my success seems to come in those types of races. I like to see horses as just horses rather than machines and try to keep away from numerical stats such as time, weight etc and like to concentrate on how a horse prefers to run best, whether it will be able to do that in a chosen race and whether it's fit or likely to be fit. With this in mind, my thoughts on races tend to be different from the majority of posters so I would hope that I can offer a different perspective on races if kindly given the chance.

My undoing is that i'm only in the betting game to win big. Therefore I tend to concentrate on Lucky 15's which more often than not go t*ts up and I hardly ever back anything under 5/1 so try to always look for double figure prices. On the whole I tend to do o.k, and enjoy racing as a hobby that gives me the opportunity to win a nice sum.

I've been backing horses since my pre-teens. My Grandad taught me how to study form and much like the new poster above I used to have a crack at the ITV 7 with my mum on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been to about 75% of the racecourses in Britain. I used to go to the Cheltenham festival quite regularly but haven't done so over the past few years. Favourite course is Sandown, least favourite is Bangor On Dee (which just happens to be about the closest to me). I was also at the '93 Santa Anita Breeders Cup to watch Arcangues win at 150/1.

I used to have a share in a racehorse called Champagne Prince trained by Peter Harris in the mid '90's. He won some decent handicaps and the ownership experience was a dream come true. I am also still in contact with CP's current owner in the States where CP was eventually retired to stud duties. It is my dream to see the old boy again before he dies as I bought my share in him when he was just a yearling playing with two others in a field. He was the least expensive from that choice of three (the others were a Pirate Army colt who ran but did nothing, and a horse by Arctic Tern who became Arctic Fancy, a staying flat horse who was eventually placed at 66's at the Cheltenham festival later in his career). The ownership scheme with Peter Harris (now run by Walter Swinburn) was fantastic and I would urge any of you to give it a go if you haven't already done so.

......and finally my claim to fame is that I won the Ladbrokes/Lanson 'Pocket Companion' six to follow competition way back some time in the early 90's.

Favourite jumps horses - Dessie and Red Rum, but also like the classy flat horses who go on to succeed in the jumping world, such as Alderbrook and Royal Gait. I also loved the golden age of hurdlers Night Nurse, Sea Pigeon, Birds Nest and Monksfield as they bring back a lot of fond memories.

Favourite flat horses - Nashwan, Generous, Arazi, Dayjur, Zafonic, Salsabil and of course the legendary Champagne Prince :clap:

Apols, for the length of the post.

Hi Mike - glad my memory isn't that bad then!!

Mick started a few days after I left (I left at pretty much the same time as the longstanding head lad and travelling head lad) so I only knew him vaguely.

Small world!

Welcome Mumuqa. Anybody that can keep Shadow that mellow for this long is very, very welcome.

Hi, I'm Cruella. I've been lurking for a while and finally managed to register after a couple of false starts.

I'm 30-cough, female and live in NE England. I've followed racing for as long as I can remember although mainly for the spectacle and an interest in breeding rather than the gambling side of things. I don't really bet other than a very occasional small-beer flutter when at the races.

I'm mainly a jumps fan these days although I can bring myself to watch the odd flat race. I'm a member of Elite Racing Club which is the closest I can get to anything approaching racehorse ownership at the moment!

I particularly love the quality of the photography displayed by some of the members on here, and look forward to seeing more racedays captured for posterity.

Have I missed something :what: clearly I have!
I did point a certain person in the direction of the forum earlier in the week...

Have i been figured out already??? I thought my very clever suedo name would have concealed my identity at least until i wrote something insanely insightful

- or delightfully eccentric, even :p

Welcome CFarrell, I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the forum! Any smoke signals come your way regarding New Approach? - he has his own thread, we are all agog to hear of his progress

Haven't heard much regards New approach as of yet but will prob get an update on Sun in Leapardstown. I'll let you know!

Hi everyone...new on here today, site was reccomended to me by a punting pal.

I am based in Ireland & enjoy both jumping and the flat and try and get to as many meetings as I can during the year....Used to live about 3 miles from Ascot and will be going back over this year for the Royal meeting...all pointers greatly recieved

hi there friend from ireland,i used to go every year.the best place to stay is in reading.but u need to book really early if you want to stay the night have a look at the nett , from there we went on the train to ascot station.only took 20 min.wish you all the luck :)

Originally posted by thoseweredays@May 12 2008, 02:58 PM
hi there friend from ireland,i used to go every year.the best place to stay is in reading.but u need to book really early if you want to stay the night have a look at the nett , from there we went on the train to ascot station.only took 20 min.wish you all the luck :)
Thanks....stopping with friends in Wokingham so no hotel worries...should be a good day out !

Originally posted by Royal Ascot@May 12 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone...new on here today, site was reccomended to me by a punting pal.

I am based in Ireland & enjoy both jumping and the flat and try and get to as many meetings as I can during the year....Used to live about 3 miles from Ascot and will be going back over this year for the Royal meeting...all pointers greatly recieved
Welcome to the forum Royal Ascot...Am a newbie on here myself, it's a terrific forum and everybody's been really sound with advice ect..Enjoy

Nevermind the latest lot, let's hear from one of our newest members currently looking at the homepage, xxx|Youenhanced............!!!!!!

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 22 2008, 09:49 PM
Nevermind the latest lot, let's hear from one of our newest members currently looking at the homepage, xxx|Youenhanced............!!!!!!
Keep dreaming, missus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back