New Pay Scale For Jockeys

Given the influence of jockeys' agents, some of whom have a whole clutch of riders on their books, you can't expect a free and fair market.

Originally posted by Grey@Jan 31 2008, 12:07 AM
Given the influence of jockeys' agents, some of whom have a whole clutch of riders on their books, you can't expect a free and fair market.
Could operate similar to certain US states where it's a case of one jockey and one bug boy (apprentice/conditional) per agent. One young jockey "the next Steve Cauthen" according to some has just split with his agent over him not objecting to the trainer jocking him off a claimer and another of the agents clients being put onto the horse.

Betsmate, think you are under a bit of a mis-apprehension. Good jockeys get rides, below par and useles ones - of which there are a fair few especially on the flat - struggle for rides.

Headstrong is right, all that would happen is that the majority of trainers/owners wouldn't be able to afford it. Which is another off-put to owning racehorses - and there are a nimber of those already.

richard

Originally posted by richard@Jan 30 2008, 11:30 PM
Good jockeys get rides, below par and useles ones - of which there are a fair few especially on the flat - struggle for rides.
I don't dispute this so i am not sure why you think I am under any mis-apprehension.

I think you have failed to grasp the advantages of opening up the market to competition. To simply suggest that owners couldn't afford it is very short-sighted. I am repeating myself again but the current 'closed' structure is unhealthy for the sport and this hinders owners as much as any other party.

I dont understand the hand-wringing with regards to failing to secure the services of the expensive top-jock. There will still be plenty of talented riders around from which to choose. So the 'rich' owner gets the top jockey, good luck to them. I'll have the cheaper lad getting started who does as he's told and wants to ride the horse again next time.

I can see advantages to the proposed changes [as persuasively outlined by eg UG and Betsmate on here] but I think it will only concentrate more winners into the hands of those with the money, and the big yards with top retained jocks, so ON BALANCE I can't support it

With all due respect Bestmate, I do feel you fail to grasp the realities of getting the right jockey for a horse. Doesn't have to be the toppest jock, but horses have their individual style of running and to give a horse the chance of running to his /her best, you need a jock whose style and capability suits that horse and one that will try to win.

Be aware that very many flat jocks are just journeymen, they turn up, get paid, if you are lucky they might bother and understand the horse and give it a good ride, but they are just as likely to doff their caps and mutter something about needing further, disappear and pocket their fee. There is so much racing now, they can get away with it.

If you happen to have decent horses, better jocks - or their agents - will be vying to get the ride. So why should an owner pay those jocks more, if they do their job properly they will get a share of the prize money and they are already paid well in the standard riding fee.

A seperate point is that the cost of owning and running horses increases significantly each year, whilst prize money declines. Another significant increase in costs will simply lead to less horses in training. Don't run away with the idea that every owner is a sheik, there are many partnerships, etc where a few mates club together to buy a horse, these people don't hav unlimited money.

richard

Originally posted by richard@Jan 31 2008, 10:01 PM
With all due respect Bestmate, I do feel you fail to grasp the realities of getting the right jockey for a horse. Doesn't have to be the toppest jock, but horses have their individual style of running and to give a horse the chance of running to his /her best, you need a jock whose style and capability suits that horse and one that will try to win.
You manage to draw some bizarre conclusions Richard. I suspect that you are keen to debate what you want me to have written, rather than what I have.

Originally posted by uncle goober@Jan 31 2008, 03:31 PM
I dont understand the hand-wringing with regards to failing to secure the services of the expensive top-jock. There will still be plenty of talented riders around from which to choose. So the 'rich' owner gets the top jockey, good luck to them. I'll have the cheaper lad getting started who does as he's told and wants to ride the horse again next time.
I totally agree.

Back