Next Years Classics

Yes, not often you see a horse travelling that much faster than everything else with his head stuck up in the air. That was only Zacinto's second race and I don't think that's a bad effort of a muddling pace.

Zacinto back to a more realistic price for the Guineas, like to see him race on faster ground again.

Really nice win there from Wingwalker. Found plenty of trouble in running but won it easily. Looks a great big colt.

Last edited:
Royal Lodge Stakes:

Almiqdaad 2.c
Alwaary (USA) 2.c
Cityscape 2.c
Drumbeat (IRE) 2.c
Firth of Fifth (IRE) 2.c
Hail Caesar (IRE) 2.c
Indian Ocean
Jukebox Jury (IRE) 2.c
Masterofthehorse (IRE) 2.c
Measurement (IRE) 2.c
On Our Way 2.c
Orizaba
Patrician's Glory (USA) 2.c
Rip Van Winkle (IRE) 2.c
Sans Frontieres (IRE) 2.c
Set Sail (IRE) 2.c
Weald Park
Whispering Angel 2.c

Fillies Mile

Beat Seven 2.f
Brief Candle 2.f
Chintz (IRE) 2.f
Dreamtheimpossible (USA) 2.f
Fantasia 2.f
Golden Stream (IRE) 2.f
High Heeled (IRE) 2.f
Marquesa (USA) 2.f
Never Lose 2.f
Paidrin (USA) 2.f
Perfect Truth (IRE) 2.f
Rainbow View (USA) 2.f
Silver Games (IRE) 2.f
Simple Solution (USA) 2.f

Kite Wood for the Derby in 2009, highly regarded colt by Galileo with a sound middle distance pedigree.

I'm on with Ladbrokes at 50/1 but it's a general 25/1 after it's win the other week.

Word on the street in the Jarvis camp is that it's the best middle distance prospect for next year in the stable and they feel it's of Derby quality.

Anyone willing to oppose Rainbow View in the Fillies Mile, 4/9 is pretty short.

I liked the look of Wachman's filly Dreamtheimpossible last time at the Curragh. Can't imagine better ground will hold any fears either.

Slightly tempting at 8/1 but Rainbow View looks a special filly.

Cityscape is a superb specimen of a horse. On just seeing him I loved him - and had I not been working I'd have taken all the 11/10 that I could find about such an amazing animal at Salisbury last week. He duly hacked up by 9l, easily, so was value for far more. The animal is a beast - he's huge, but bizarrely for such a large horse doesn't look at all backward or weak. He will improve tenfold over the winter and is an immensely exciting prospect. The one question you would have to have is how well he'd handle Epsom, being so large - although he's not lumbersome or ungainly for an animal his size.

Funnily enough I backed him that day too - even though Stevie Drowne was on board!

Seriously though my only note of caution I would sound is that Zacinto in the same colours hacked up in his maiden at Sandown by 8 lengths only to get turned over when pitched into Group company. Ok, Cityscape's race was a novice event, but I have learned from bitter experience down the years that 2 year olds breaking their maiden outside of pattern company by wide margins is not necessarily a guarantee they will prove themselves up to classic standard.

I notice he is in the Royal Lodge so we should know more about his ability on Saturday.

I just read the piece on Cole's horses. Have economic necessities forced him this way in terms of training methods? Since he lost the patronage of his rich Arab owners such as Fahd Salman, has he not had to go to war with a cheaper, more precocious type? So could it not simply be the type of horse typically not training on, lesser constitution etc, rather than him employing harsh methods? I mean, you wouldn't deliberately burn out a potential classic winner at two would you?

He hardly screwed up Generous did he, winning a Dewhurst at 50/1 and the rest, as they say, is history.

Funnily enough I backed him that day too - even though Stevie Drowne was on board!

Seriously though my only note of caution I would sound is that Zacinto in the same colours hacked up in his maiden at Sandown by 8 lengths only to get turned over when pitched into Group company. Ok, Cityscape's race was a novice event, but I have learned from bitter experience down the years that 2 year olds breaking their maiden outside of pattern company by wide margins is not necessarily a guarantee they will prove themselves up to classic standard.

I notice he is in the Royal Lodge so we should know more about his ability on Saturday.

Zacinto is an irrelevance here N6 ~ he reportedly had a setback after Sandown and his run at Donny was still decent enough. Cityscape beat a decent type at Salisbury in Such Optimism with the rest of the field well behind. The fact that it was novice simply upgrades the form further. You shouldn't get carried away with wide margin wins as a rule, but I'd support the Salisbury form as being more solid than Rip Van Winkle's. The latter could be anything, but he doesn't have more "solid" credentials imo.

That Salisbury race was very hot. The 2nd had solid form. The 3rd was not beaten too far in the Washington Singer and has since won in easy style at Chester. Thh 4th chased home one of Mark Johnston's best 2yo's next time out.

Cityscape on debut should have beat Almiqdaad but for running green. Almiqdaad is head and shoulders better than any other 2yo in the Michael Jarvis camp.

I would say the form of this "so called poxy" novice event is fair solid. Zicanto may have won 8L on debut but he beat tree's and nothing more than tree's. On his next start he was made a silly price because a setback was never reported to the press. It also wasn't a great Champagne, the close enough 3rd had only won 2 small races beating very little both times. Zicanto wouldn't be any better than 6th or 7th pick of Stoutes.

Cityscape is a very promising horse, O'Brien's at only 2/1, well I couldn't back a 2yo at 2/1 which has been off for that amount of time.

In the fillies race, don't discount Golden Stream, she won her debut in similar fashion to Rainbow View and has improved. She would have to be the each way bet.

In the fillies race, don't discount Golden Stream, she won her debut in similar fashion to Rainbow View and has improved. She would have to be the each way bet.

Agree with you there, she's a massive price at 10s. Ran a decent time and connections won't be running just to follow the Gosden filly home.

Big assumption that they have any good 2 year olds ... of the last few seasons their only quality 2 year olds are Rio de la Plata, Ibn Khladun, Dubawi and perhaps Belenus.

Overnights in for the Royal Lodge and Rip Van Winkle is not running.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/card.sd?race_id=462182&r_date=2008-9-27

Orizaba brings very solid looking Group winning form to the table with the likes of subsequent Group 2 and 1 winners Lord Shanakill and Bushranger tied into his form lines.

I think Cecil's On Our Way was unlucky not to win a Listed event when taken across the track at Salisbury when beaten by Snoqualmie Girl, and that filly has run very respectably against Rainbow View since. He will take some beating imo.

Cityscape will have to reverse form with Almiqdaad, although most observers felt Cityscape was the moral winner of that race. His impressive Salisbury vicroty was franked by the 3rd at Chester, however the line through Versaki to Orizaba from the Coventry Stakes, coupled with Orizaba's improved showing in the Vintage would mean the Channon colt is at least as capable as Cityscape of putting serious daylight between himself and Versaki.

Personally I would much prefer to see Cityscape perform on Saturday prior to committing to him ante-post for any classic. Even if he does win, unless it is doing hand springs, he will have to overcome the stigma of the Royal Lodge being a pretty awful guide to next year's classics, with only 2 classic winners coming from the last 22 renewals, and both regarded as inferior and poor winners of the Deby and 2,000 Guineas by Timeform. The clear trend seems to be that the top yards simply do not aim their best horses at this race, so Cityscape will probably not face a real test until next spring in something like the Dante.

Back