NH 2010-2011: Weather Watch

krizon

At the Start
Just had an e-mail to say that Mark Cornford, Plumpton's C o/t C, isn't too hopeful about Wednesday's fixture. The last three nights have seen temps of minus 4, 6, and 5C, and while there are anti-frost sheets either side of the obstacles, the whole course isn't protected. A final inspection is due for 8 am Wed, but don't hold your breath.

Rats - I was looking forward to a delicious lunch with five female friends in the restaurant! :(

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind my amending the thread title, Krizon.

Just figured that as these threads are likely to be needed with depressing frequency over the winter, we might as well keep it all in one spot.

No chance of Fairyhouse going ahead on Thursday and unless there is a decent thaw on Friday, Navan and Punchestown over the weekend are gonners too.

Last edited:
Excellent, Tracks - amend away! It's my fault for not remembering we'd got a weather thread - sorry.

And now, closing the blinds for the night, young folk are frolicking outside taking flash photos of each other in the first snow down here. That probably does mean that Plumpton will be off on Wednesday if it kicks in for a few days, especially if it lies about.

Borders National at Kelso has already been abandoned. Supposedly had an amazing card lined up, as well. May run it in January but not sure if I can get oop north then.

Well, that's the festive lunch at Plumpton buggered! Quite a few grumbles at Lingfield from staff and punters about Folkestone only being abandoned once the horses had arrived at the start. I was told Emma Lavelle felt she'd been a bit misled and said the moment they arrived in the box, she knew it'd be off, but had to wait while a load of hokey ground-prodding took place.

What I learned about Plumpton today is that the course is insured against the loss of meetings, but that the insurer wants to see all kinds of inspections, etc., take place right up to the last minute, before they'll consider paying out. If that's true for most meetings, then a lot of the calls could be made the day before, like they've done, and save horses and staff a lot of unnecessary travel and everyone a lot of expense in getting to tracks where there's really no hope of running.

Last edited:
This weather really is a pain - I seem to remember last year when the racing did start back again that the formbook seemed to go out the window with plenty of horses set back initially due to the break.

This weather really is a pain - I seem to remember last year when the racing did start back again that the formbook seemed to go out the window with plenty of horses set back initially due to the break.

It would be worth doing a little research on who was hot and not after the break last year. I seem to recall Eddie O'Grady's needing a run.

I'm hoping in a way that Lingfield's off tomorrow (inspection at 6.00 a.m., poor Neil the Clerk!), as it's been snowing here for hours and I've just measured two inches depth on the windowsill. You can't see the pavements from the roads now, and the vehicles which are out are going about 5mph. If we do go ahead, it'll probably take me two hours to get there, so not unhappy if it's another lost to the elements.

Lingfield...

Yes, Jon, I can't imagine you being desperately upset about today's abandonment. Unfortunately, one or two idiots on the RP site and elsewhere are already whingeing about how it's not "all-weather" racing etc, etc.

As for tomorrow, I'm sure Neil can get the track clear with time and effort but the forecast doesn't offer a lot of hope for surrounding roads and other access so I just wonder if he may finish up losing tomorrow's card as well.

Last night's snow has almost certainly finished off Sandown though the BBC forecast before 8am suggested +5c on Saturday.

That was the big problem last year, wasn't it, Stodge? My usual OTs desk colleague, who lives on the 'Mormon Temple' roundabout, which is only a couple of minutes from Lingfield, as you know, says they have 18 inches of snow. Her little Jack Russell bounded out of the horse for a wee this morning, and disappeared! She said he swam back to the house through the drift. The small surrounding roads haven't yet been cleared, so that's probably half the staff at the track who won't make it, or who won't want to risk, making it in. If too many of the BHA's required staff can't make it (I see one of the dog tracks had to abandon because the vet couldn't get in), then it's a no-go.

You're right about the usual whining about not being all weather. The tracks' surfaces, whether they're Polytrack or the mixes they've produced elsewhere, are fine all year round if they're correctly mixed and managed. It's the rest of the course and the outlying areas which aren't all weather! I know Neil sounds a bit more optimistic about tomorrow's card, but I doubt it will go ahead, mostly because of the problem of getting to the course, as you say. If key staff can't get in who are required by the BHA to be there, or half the caterers, and a lot of the horseboxes can't get up or down their own snowed-in country lanes, then it's stuffed.

Yes, Jon, I can't imagine you being desperately upset about today's abandonment. Unfortunately, one or two idiots on the RP site and elsewhere are already whingeing about how it's not "all-weather" racing etc, etc.

As for tomorrow, I'm sure Neil can get the track clear with time and effort but the forecast doesn't offer a lot of hope for surrounding roads and other access so I just wonder if he may finish up losing tomorrow's card as well.

Last night's snow has almost certainly finished off Sandown though the BBC forecast before 8am suggested +5c on Saturday.
No access would be my best guess Stodge - snow is 2ft deep here in Brighton and it's been snowing heavily since 5pm yesterday.

They were interviewing a BBC Producer on 5Live this morning who said that she and fellow passengers had been stuck on a train at Three Bridges (Crawley) since 8:30pm last night - think they finally got the train moved at 6am this morning.

Sandown...

Sandown tomorrow abandoned - Andrew Cooper on ATR talking to Robert Cooper. Andrew sounds pretty pessimistic and is clutching at a vague straw of a possibility of something milder on Friday night/Saturday morning.

The course is NOT under frost covers - Andrew Cooper has just said they would have no chance if covers had been put down. No announced inspection for Saturday's card as yet.

Last edited:
Ireland...

I did see that Clonmel were making optimistic noises about racing on Sunday.

Is that still the case ?

I would say Sandown is a million to 1 with the snow that fell near me (less than 20 miles from Sandown) last night - very very heavy and still snowing.

Back