NH 2010-2011: Weather Watch

Likewise in Waterford.Kempton 3/1 to be on tomorrow.I have guaranteed myself a profit and tomorrow looks like being another family day.Thanks to Shadow Leader for making the bet stand out.

Update

Catching up, nothing today at all following the loss of FONTWELL and WOLVERHAMPTON this morning - a very cold night under clear skies in much of England and still frostbound now here in east London.

Tomorrow, KEMPTON inspect at 2pm and must hope this thaw is coming as quick if not quicker than forecast. I just wonder if even the frost covers would have protected against a night as cold as last night. That just leaves SOUTHWELL.

On Tuesday, LEICESTER has fallen but FFOS LAS has possibilities while LIMERICK inspect 8.30am tomorrow and presumably LEOPARDSTOWN will announce an inspection before long. LINGFIELD and SOUTHWELL stage AW cards.

Limerick and Leopardstown have different problems. One is frozen, the other snow covered. Looking out at the garden, there is a definite thaw in Leopardstown but there is a lot of snow to thaw in the three or four hours of thawing this afternoon so reckon it will take most of tomorrow too. But at this rate, should be good to go on 28th. Problem then is the rain. If it arrives on sodden soil, there could be waterlogging.

Kempton...

No surprise to see Mr Clifford's 70-30 estimate turning out to be well wide of the mark after a brutally cold night here in London. The frost has eased during the day but ground remains frozen.

I'm sure the frost won't be as severe tonight but there's been no thaw at all here today so the temperatures would have to rise sharply.

Optimism...

Joining FFOS LAS in the optimistic camp are officials at TAUNTON who seem pretty bullish about their meeting on Thursday which looks like it could be a busy day with five or six meetings.

Very unsatisfactory to have the King George ran so late when the course will probably be very raceable coming Tuesday or Wedneday.

Much as I was looking forward to the meeting, I have to admit that I made a few quid backing it to be off as well, Luke, after seeing the state of the place during the week. Didn't make much though, was getting greedy and putting bets up that weren't matched whilst a couple of loudmouths at the track on Thursday were bullishly telling everyone racing was a certainty to go ahead Boxing Day. As I said to my colleagues, if that pair are coming out with it you have to back the meeting to be off!

Glad you made a few quid out of it Shadow.I went out this afternoon and played up the winnings on all kinds of rubbish.a good day.

Well, the thaw has started here, thank God but the word on the farming forum is that bitter cold returns around January 9th. How accurate that will be is anybody's guess.

Update...

As might have been expected, the thaw is causing problems of its own with surface water the concern at LEOPARDSTOWN where there will be a further inspection at 7.30am tomorrow.

LIMERICK is apparently still frozen in places and will look again at 8.30am tomorrow.

The latter raises a useful point - nights of brutally cold temperatures have driven the frost deep into the ground and it's going to take more than a few hours of warmer air to shift it so even where the snow has gone, the frost might still cause tracks problems as it takes that much longer to shift especially where there has been no protection applied.

For what its worth, I'm a member of the Leopardstown racecourse gym and was up there this morning. Saw a few lads putting up the Lexus sign at the winning post and they were fairly hammering the sledge hammer into it so might not be too bad. Also, there is a lovely covering of grass on it. Will walk it in the morning as we are not sure whether to declare Raise The Beat.

Cheltenham snow gradually reducing. Only 3-4 inches left of 8-12 original. Weather forecast says similar temperatures tomorrow and a good rise (possibly into double figures) on Wednesday. Hopefully there won't be any sharp frosts after that, as the track is currently frozen in a few places.

Hope all goes ahead at Leopardstown tomorrow, seriously missing some good quality jumping.

How cruel is this: we've had such a mild day today, everything's melted, I've had the windows open for what even now at gone 6 pm is a mild, gentle evening - and poor old Fontwell couldn't stage yet another meeting. If we carry on like this, there'll be no problem for Plumpton on January 2. I'll probably totter along, but the restaurant is never going to see me again - after two massively poor efforts in both food and service, it's Alice's Chicken Satay and Noodles for me!

Back in Business..

Indeed, and the Irish venues are also able to make a belated start to their festivals which will presumably be 3-day meetings instead of four but better than nothing.

Exactly. Where are your racing for change monkeys now. A three week wait is bullshit.

Very frustrating. Racing back yesterday and a perfectly good bank holiday on January 3, featuring weak cards. It would be a real downer if the 15th gets called off with the forecast bitter weather returning in January. Even if it does take place in mid-January it won’t be the same… I hear RFC has come up with the idea of running the KG at Cheltenham on March 18 (joke… I hope).:(

Back