Nicholls in Ireland

They are pretty strong renewals on Sunday. Perhaps Nicholls is only going to send over his novices when he is pretty sure it will be against largely inferior animals

Nicholls has also said in his teletext column that he probably won't be sending over any other horses while Ruby is sidelined.

Hello all, by the way.

Nicholls has also said in his teletext column that he probably won't be sending over any other horses while Ruby is sidelined.

Strange comment. You could almost infer from it that he was running more horses in Ireland for Rubys benefit? I don't really see that it should make that much difference, unless he's saying of course that he doesn't trust Thomas or any other jockey whose likely to be availbale not to damage his better horses, which presumebly is what he'd tend to be running over there if he intended mounting an assault based on quality rather than quantity. That being so, it begs the obvious question why say anything on the subject?

Strange comment. You could almost infer from it that he was running more horses in Ireland for Rubys benefit? I don't really see that it should make that much difference, unless he's saying of course that he doesn't trust Thomas or any other jockey whose likely to be availbale not to damage his better horses, which presumebly is what he'd tend to be running over there if he intended mounting an assault based on quality rather than quantity. That being so, it begs the obvious question why say anything on the subject?

Yes a strange decision. So no runner in the John Durkan then?

Perhaps it's just that Ruby knows most of his horses, particularly the good ones, better?
In the case of this weekend, I think he was right not to send anything over.

As for the Durkan, I would like to see Noland go over for it. Or is the Peterborough Chase a preferred target?

Perhaps it's just that Ruby knows most of his horses, particularly the good ones, better?
In the case of this weekend, I think he was right not to send anything over.

As for the Durkan, I would like to see Noland go over for it. Or is the Peterborough Chase a preferred target?

Perhaps it is Ruby's knowledge of the Irish courses...but it still does not make much sense particularly when Nicholls could easily get any of the other top Irish jockeys if needed.

That's true enough.

Perhaps he has decided to concentrate on winning more prize money at home. After all, he missed the big pot last weekend...

I'm sure he will wrap up another title over here but he is not as far clear as he was this time last year.

You have a point there, Miss. He'll only direct ammunition at Irish prize money if he has it to spare; his number one priority will be to win the UK title.

Noel Meade €641,318
W.P. Mullins €553,615
Mrs John Harrington €472,020
C.F. Swan €421,415
E. McNamara €419,625
D. T. Hughes €418,500
E. J. O'Grady €368,820
P.F.Nicholls (in GB) €351,400​

... unless he's saying of course that he doesn't trust Thomas or any other jockey whose likely to be availbale not to damage his better horses...quote]

Apparently he blamed Russell for getting Officier de Reserve carried out.

Saw Nicholls being interviewed over the weekend and he was asked about this. He said that the whole thing was nonsense and that he never ever had any designs on the Irish trainer's title. That with Mullins and Meade banging them in there was never a chance of him being involved.

Back