Nicholls v Mullins

Truncheon

Conditional
Nicholls 33k in front going into the final week

looks like sandown will be the deciding factor

maybe theres a "gentlemans agreement" between Nicky and Willie;)

Un de sceaux to Sandown and Sprinter for Punchestown:ninja:

Awesome stuff from PN has to be better than even he expected.

This will be the 2nd time, if he retains the title Grand National, has come to his rescue.

He pipped Nicky on the line now he looks like he's about to do the same with WPM.

If the weather does hold up WPM's chances become greatly reduced.

If PN can get to Saturday 100k + ahead then WPM chance is surely gone.

He could actually enter Douvan for the Celebration Chase but it is only worth 71K add to that the £28,475 Vroom Vroom Mag might pick up and it still might not be enough if you allow for the fact PN might not come away empty handed

Boston Bob is the most likely of his to appreciate good ground in the old Whitbread but he's just been pulled up in the GN and even if he runs Measureofmydreams he surely wouldn't want fastich ground.

Annoying as it may be to us punters WPM will stay stoom until he knows where he stands come Thursday evening.

Absolutely no sense in getting too excited about any entries he makes until then.

Douvan V Sprinter Scare I would love to see even Vautour V Sprinter Sacre but Sprinter Sacre V UDS not so exciting unless you want to see UDS getting kicked into touch again:)

don't think the likes of douvan or vautour will be sighted at sandown. mullins will have his eye on punchestown.

I know WPM has opened up at long last and said in the Racing Post the plan at the moment is to send UDS over. Be interesting to see what he enters...I would think he'll enter Douvan or Vautour in case something should go wrong with UDS..pretty stupid risk to take if he doesn't.

The question is: What will he run if by Thursday he can't win the Championship?

It's nice that Nicholls doesn't hide away with his celebrations.

I agree. I was standing right next to him the day Cornish Rebel (?) was involved in a photo for the Scottish National. I can't remember now if he won or lost but Nicholls was what I would call refreshingly emotional in the later stages of the race and immediately afterwards.

That was the year Ruby was in line to win all 4 nationals. GN was Hedgehunter but can't remember what won the Irish or Welsh. Cornish Rebel got touched off but can't recall by which horse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't normally give a fook about who wins but I really want Nicholls to win it this year. It's a far cry from having runners at most GB tracks on a daily basis to sending out a few fancy Frenchies to the big festivals and Saturday races.

I appreciate it'd be a logistical nightmare for Mullins to send horses over on the ferry on a daily basis so I'm not having a dig and we should be grateful we get chance to see some of his stars regularly over here but Nicholls is a great supporter of NH racing at the gaff tracks and deserves the credit for it.

The owners title means even less to me than the trainers but to those that it does matter it must hurt to see Giggi winning it with 6 big prize winners and having none trained over here.

Last edited:
I wouldn't normally give a fook about who wins but I really want Nicholls to win it this year. It's a far cry from having runners at most GB tracks on a daily basis to sending out a few fancy Frenchies to the big festivals and Saturday races.

I appreciate it'd be a logistical nightmare for Mullins to send horses over on the ferry on a daily basis so I'm not having a dig and we should be grateful we get chance to see some of his stars regularly over here but Nicholls is a great supporter of NH racing at the gaff tracks and deserves the credit for it.

The owners title means even less to me than the trainers but to those that it does matter it must hurt to see Giggi winning it with 6 big prize winners and having none trained over here.

Agreed.

Seconded. Its an absolute triumph to win the title with so few genuine stars.

For me he's the absolute top man in the game by quite a margin and by every measure of what makes a great trainer

Mullins has Ballycasey, Sir Des Champs,Vroum Vroum Mag,Valseur Lido, Vautour in the 2m 6f Oaksey Chase

Nicholls has Art Mauresque, Dodging Bullets, Rocky Creek , Saphir Du Rheu, Wonderful Charm

Bet365 Select Hurdle entries include Shaneshill, Vroum Vroum Mag, The New One, Brother Tedd, Diamond King, Ptit Zig, Ubak and Vaniteux

Celebration Chase reopened for 24 hours, only nine entries, rules say must happen if less than ten entries

Last edited:
no vautour for the celebration chase so mullins chance probably lies with UDS beating SS or winning the bet365 gold cup

nicholls 10/11 with victor is a bet

Do the sums....PN was 44k in front he has targeted 93k worth of prize money between now and Friday. Allowing for 2 or 3 in one race his strike rate should be around 30% or 27k

That puts him about 70k in front less anything WPM can claw back with the 8 races he contests in the UK before Friday worth around 72K

The quality of horse I'd reckon he'll scoop about 40k of that.

Going into Sandown PN at a guess will be no more that 30k ahead.

Even if UDS is beaten by Sprinter Sacre into second again he will pick up 28k

With the likes of Vautour and Vroom Vroom Mag entered my money is on Oor Wullie to take the prize

I appreciate that officially the trainer's title is decided on prize money, but how many think it should be on number of winners like the jockey's title ? I'm also wondering that if entry fees and supplements were deducted from prize money how much different the table would look ( if at all )

I appreciate that officially the trainer's title is decided on prize money, but how many think it should be on number of winners like the jockey's title ? I'm also wondering that if entry fees and supplements were deducted from prize money how much different the table would look ( if at all )

I think they spent a lot of time discussing this before making a decision and it's the right one.

Training is not all about getting a horse fit to win, an experienced work rider can do that standing on his head.

It's a business and it's the business decisions that bring success and a big part of that is buying the right horses.

PN wasn't handed millions to go spend he worked his butt of to get the right people interested and eventually it led to horses like See More Business Deep Bramble Azertyuiop and Call Equiname bringing him recognition.

I don't think Paul Barber despite being a friend of his fathers gave him any horses until he proved he could at least train a winner or six

He built on those successes, it didn't just happen and his team ended up with Neptune Collonges Master Minded Kauto and Denman who did more than their fair share of winning him a few Championships.

Skill in running a business, placing horses, spending owners money wisely and honestly bring success and success bring you better horses and if those horses win you championships then to me that is very fair.

If WPM clinches the Championship because Vroom Vroom Mag turns eg out to be a class above the rest that's because his hard work brought her to Sandown in the first place.

No. He's using expected prize money. You seem to have an outright disdain for logic.

How do you mean.........I went through every entry and have every possible prize on a spreadsheet. Do You?

Am I not entitled to come to my own conclusions and post them?

PN is chasing a bunch of small prizes whereas WPM is gong for the bigger prizes with better horses

Looking at today races PN ran a 2 miler good ground horse on soft Ground over 2m5f chancing his arm as he should

I took some time to look and a lot of his entries this week are like that so I am not expecting fireworks and I am being extremely generous saying he'll add 30% of the prize money to his tally

Whereas WPM's Perth entries look more sound to me and IMO more likely to bring home more bacon and reduce the deficit not PN increase it.

If that seems illogical to you then fair enough but it seems to make sense to me and I reach my own conclusions not follow some guy on Twitter who to me is wrong.

Back