Nick Clegg

I hate him so much I've now reached the point at which I turn the TV/radio off as soon as he comes on.

This is treatment I had previously reserved for bookie PR reps and Alex Ferguson.

No one respects those with a bit of bollox and character anymore.

Well done on Clegg for bringing the former whinging party into the heart of British politics, and again well done for letting the fickle, selfish and often politically-deluded British public suffer a dose of the realities of 13 years of New Labour government, which many seem to have forgotten.

However hard the times, we have two leaders at the top now who aren't bottling up Britains problems.

I think Cameron can seem slightly out of touch, and Clegg not fiercesome enough, but unlike some I get why (even with different parties) they had to have this great marriage of convience.

Thinking whats right for ourselves and thinking whats right for the country and two slightly different issues. When people can see a country at large bankrupt by a Labour Party with delusions of grandeur we will all be the better for it.

I'll be voting Lib Dem at the next election, a good influence imo.

Last edited:
to be fair Marble the country wouldn't be any different had tories been in power when the banking crisis happened

Nick Clegg won't win his seat next time..not a popular man in Sheffield re the forgemasters stuff

the best image i saw when they came in was a flap at the bottom of the number 10 door called Cleggflap

Lib Dems have put themselves back 20 years imo and will poll very poorly next time

Last edited:
What option did the lib dems have? They couldnt endorse the losing party in a coalition (not least because Clegg, like so many otehrs, couldnt abide GB) and to simply step aside would have led to the mess of a minority government leading to another election for which the lib dems would then have taken a lot of blame for being intransigent

they did the right thing and if voters cant see that, then they need to think again

Can you please tell me what drugs you are taking? I want some!
No, I'll keep that to myself. Just saying what I think.

I'm a second year journalism student, I'm finding life difficult aswell. You won't find me on the whinge though.

Rude people like you aren't worth the bother.

Last edited:
What option did the lib dems have? They couldnt endorse the losing party in a coalition

He could have endorsed Gordon Brown Clivex, but he didn't. It would have better served the old school political ideolgies, i.e., a left of centre party joining another, err....alledgedly left of centre party ( New Labour?), and this is something the academics would have preferred as most of them are thick and can't understand Nick and Dave's motivations anyway.

Clegg is a conservative Liberal, and Cameron is a liberal conservative. Hence, it's an elegant political marriage that many can't understand. And plenty of right wing jokers fall in to this catagory too.

I've no doubt, if it wasn't for the two at the top, the whole thing would collapse, as the snobs on the right and hardliners on the left (I marginally prefer these hardliners it has to be said) would prefer it that way.

I love it me, I think its refreshing for politics.:) And has given Labour the wake up call or reality check they were unable to give themselves for thirteen years.

Last edited:
Surely they only actually went into coalition to try and push through electoral reform (and failed)?

Lib Dems would continue to poll well but not get seats in parliament or much powerd due to the voting system we employ.

Martin

No stamp .Thats wrong. If that was the sole deal breaker then the deal would have been broken

Being even a minor part of the administration is better than opposition. Its that simple really. Would Cables business bank have got off the ground if they didnt share power? i dont think so

Also as limited as their power has been, does anyone think it would have been any better under a control freak such as Brown? A lot worse we can be sure

Im refering to the relationship with GB. It would have quickly fallen apart.

But as for economy, in what way? He handled the crisis well but frankly contributed to the current mess by virtually losing control of public spending.

Last edited:
Clegg probably did the right thing but for the wrong reason. As for his party, they were, in my eyes, the party of decency and integrity; the Jiminy Crickets of the electoral system. Now they just disgust me. What's the point of having policies and manifestos if you just throw them away when you get a sniff of power. Might as well have a dictatorship...If I didn't dislike Clegg so much now I might actually feel sorry for him.

Because when you are the very minor part of a coalition you can hardly dictate your policies and manifesto. Best you can hope to do is have some influence and stamp your foot if something is too far amiss.

This may be a coalition, but the numbers are still Tory-heavy. This goverment is, in effect, already operating as a minority - albeit it one with tacit approval from another party.

It's unreasonable of the Liberals to expect all of their policies to get through, in much the same way as it's reasonable to expect policy generally to be loaded more towards the Conservative-end of the spectrum.

This, in my view, is broadly a good thing. It best reflects the way people voted at the Election, and has generally assured that some of the more 'exotic' or contraversial policy-positons that both hold, are not part of the agenda.

In my opinion, both parties are aware that this is a marriage-of-convenience, but they keep-up the facade for the greater good. Whilst they haven't gotten everything right, they managed to get the patient sitting-up in the bed, rather than reading him the last rites.

People have short memories, and seem to have forgotten just how badly f*cked this economy was when the coalition inherited it. That Brown can be viewed as some kind of white-knight on the back of the crisis, still mystifies me.

It's my belief that decrepit state of the countries finances more-or-less compelled them to partner-up, because any other outcome and the UK would be in the same position as the PIGS. Clearly, though, there needs to be some softening of the deficit-reduction policy, in order that the economy starts to grow. Such a move would seem in the offing, and would represent one in the plus column for the Liberals.

When it comes to the next general election, their main problem is more about the public's ability to notice the subtlety of their contribution. IMO.

Last edited:
Bloody hell..I agree with all that. I think the last line is spot on

(aside from the pigs issue which is deeper in truth)

Yep, for whats it worth I agree aswell.

Browns blatent lying at the Levison enquiry re-briefings against Blair was very distasteful. It was a bit under reported at the time but showed the man behind the myth.

I hope the Labour Party project moves on, it will be good for politics if it does. If Ed can draw in disillusioned lefties/liberals so be it, Tories have left the Tory party to go to Ukip. Things change. Thats life isn't it.

Last edited:
The Lib-Dems have one chance left, that is to break from the coalition at the most inconvenient time for the Tories. They could force an issue and walk away, protesting that they are acting upon a crucial Lib-Dem principle. By doing harm to the Tories in a surprise attack they could well get a major bounce in the polls.

So, with a bet in mind, I'm watching out for that moment.

MR2

The lib dems are finished their credibility will only be restored when and if and it is inevitable another coalition with labour.History over the last 40 years shows there's no way that labour can win the next election,i don't see that the liberals will either turn to labour or dump the tories.Anyone taken the 3/1c about boris johnson for primeminister :eek: is this some sort of sick joke!:blink::lol:

Back