Novice Chasers 2009/10

Watching it again and the power and pace he shows through the race just oozes loads of class. An extremely likeable horse.

He did remarkably well to see out that race given how he travelled so strongly right on top of the pace.

Well done LUKE, thoroughly franked your confidence and that of the trainer, who really deserves this day.....where next for Sizing.....still have a niggling feeling that he'll be better over a bit further...but is a mile further too far?

Looks an out and out two miler to me. Surprised to see others think otherwise....pace and cruising speed is his greatest asset.

Seemed to hit one hard down the back and looked to get a bit worked up prior to the start. Hard to be definite on him one way or another but looks to be short of this standard based on this anyway.

Somersby would be interesting for the Tingle Creek on softer ground. Sizing Europe and Kalahari King the main challengers to Master Minded next year, if that horse gets there.

Somersby has to be given a Gold Cup prep next year surely? King George would suit him well....Kauto cannot last forever.

You think? I would say that would maybe depend on what happens in the RSA tomorrow. If Long Run is devastating tomorrow I would think she'll go Tingle Creek.

Henrietta Knight, trainer of runner-up Somersby, said: "He ran a smashing race, a tremendous race. It was a terrific effort in only his third chase.
"The winner has run in the Champion Hurdle and there was no disgrace in that. He got slightly close to one of the open ditches but otherwise he was very good. We will go back and think about whether to run him againbut he might be going into the field.
"He is very exciting for the future and I think we might campaign him with the Gold Cup in mind."

Will he go to Punchestown next? He excels at that track and would love to see him let loose over that course - possible take on the big boys?

Speaking of Long Run - I am going to take him on with Punchestowns tomorrow. Think the ground will be a big negative for Long Run based on how he moves, past form and how any mistakes on that ground will count for even more.

Impressed with Sizing today, he got to the front and decided the job was done, far better than anything else in the race.

Some would say "clearly idling in front" and "got to the front and decided the job was done" is not wholely disimilar to not finishing your race. The main difference being if nothing runs past you, you're idling, if they do, you're wimping out.

Now I wouldn't say that, but some would.

I do not think he had much left - but that is not a criticism of the horse - he was more than entitled to tire a little given how the race was run.

Back