Novice Chasers 2016/2017

Thing is though, if someone gave me a free bet on the race I think he'd be the one even at that price.

There is maybe a logic to it in 8 months time if he has taken to it but in the greater scheme of things if that's the position an industry takes on a horse that has never run in a chase,what hope have we.

Not sure the eventual winner would have even made the frame in the Bartlett if Shantou Village hadn't been kicked into.

I'll certainly be tracking where Shantou is aimed during the forthcoming months.

Shantou Village entered for a 2m5f Novice Chase at Fontwell on Thursday 25th August.

I thought Briar Hill struggled a bit yesterday and definitely isn't the horse he was.On the plus side Willie has him fit and healthy and will want to kick on -could see him winning another race or two before the big guns reappear and that will be the time to take him on.

I'm really not a fan of novice chasers - at least those with pretensions to being half-way decent - being seen out before October.

Clearly, they want to avoid the worst of the ground with SV, but even so, he'd be going into the spring essentially untested against decent horses, and I just don't see the point of that type of campaign. It's not as if he is completely hopeless on softer ground either, as his run behind Yarnworth last season would confirm.

I'm really not a fan of novice chasers - at least those with pretensions to being half-way decent - being seen out before October.

Clearly, they want to avoid the worst of the ground with SV, but even so, he'd be going into the spring essentially untested against decent horses, and I just don't see the point of that type of campaign. It's not as if he is completely hopeless on softer ground either, as his run behind Yarnworth last season would confirm.

Over hurdles you could have said the same of Altior last season Grassy.

I don't see a problem with a season of two halves ensuring he's not over the top in March and April.

Over hurdles you could have said the same of Altior last season Grassy.

I don't see a problem with a season of two halves ensuring he's not over the top in March and April.

Not really, Paul, considering Altior's first outing over hurdles was in October.

Back