Novice Chases 2021-22

Today had 2 good horses

Bravemansgame looked very good again .kempton next?

Bob olinger got into it and done enough. Leopardstown for him next maybe

I would say almost certainly Bravemansgame will go to Kempton.

Might Bob Olinger go to Limerick for the two and a half mile Grade One?

BMG was a 9/10. Jumped well, fiddled a few but was ok. Hope the Feltham has a bigger field though.

Bob O to me was workmanlike at best and I didn't like some of the shapes he made over his fences. 7/10

BMG was a 9/10. Jumped well, fiddled a few but was ok. Hope the Feltham has a bigger field though.

Yes, fiddled a few but quite cleverly.

He made more experienced jumpers look novicey but was never out of his comfort zone.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing BMG in a bigger field against other top novices rather than getting weight and beating The likes of Itchy Feet and Fusil Raffles who are smart enough but not really the quality animals he needs to be tested against

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good that BMG is in the best hands in the UK and we get to see him racing three times before the new year

Bob o will only get better and in a higher quality race, his class will shine through

Was at Haydock yesterday, Bravemansgame was good but he doesn't look a stayer to me

I think 2 and a half is gonna be his trip or he could be similar to Politologue and even do something at 2 miles

Has a big cruising speed, Kempton will be revealing on boxing day

I see Run Wild Fred, who won the Troytown yesterday, is to be aimed at the NH Chase and is now 5/1 fav for it.

I imagine much will depend on his new mark but I would expect the UK handicapper to put him on at least 155. Personally I think the horse might be 10lbs better than that, especially with the likelihood of more improvement to come, but I wouldn't be rushing in to back him just yet.

The chances are that one or two more novices will be in that kind of ball park by the time the race comes round and I'll be looking to get in early at big prices on some of them.

As a second season Gigi/Elliott novice who'd finished second in a Thyestes and Irish National but retained status for this year he was always likely to be strongly considered for that race and I've some 14/1 and plenty of 12/1 about him but I still have a lot of concerns, not least the prospect that Ontheropes could win the Ladbrokes (Hennessy) off 153 and still be eligible for the race also.

From an ante post perspective, the best thing for me about yesterday's performance was the likely increase he'll get hopefully makes the level weights NH chase more appealing than the big handicaps.

Run Wild Fred +14 to 159
(Farclas +3 to 151)

Seems excessive to me.

It looks to me like those figures are arrived at in consultation with the UK handicapper (as is supposed to happen when they go over 150).

I imagine they'll want to get those three pounds back off Farclas.

It is and makes any decision regarding late season targets much easier I'd have thought.

My ante post slip on Fred at 40/1 for Aintree Nash can be tossed in bin.

Nailed on 4 miler and Jamie Codd riding at Cheltenham if the O’Learys agree.

Tea Clipper is entered in a 2M4F chase on friday and is also now entered for the 3 mile novice chase this saturday, (both races at Newbury), which is also of interest.

I must admit I really liked his win first time out over fences where he jumped really well and he was very good in his novice hurdles and a few handicap hurdles too.

He must be one of Tom Laceys most exciting prospects this season.

Only a handful of firms price him for the festival Chase next March, with William Hill a standout 25/1.

If he was declared for the 3M chase this Saturday I may have an anti-post for the festival beforehand, just in the event he showed what i think he might show on saturday and put himself firmly in the picture.

Last edited:
Tea Clipper is entered in a 2M4F chase on friday and is also now entered for the 3 mile novice chase this saturday, (both races at Newbury), which is also of interest.

I must admit I really liked his win first time out over fences where he jumped really well and he was very good in his novice hurdles and a few handicap hurdles too.

He must be one of Tom Laceys most exciting prospects this season.

Only a handful of firms price him for the festival Chase next March, with William Hill a standout 25/1.

If he was declared for the 3M chase this Saturday I may have an anti-post for the festival beforehand, just in the event he showed what i think he might show on saturday and put himself firmly in the picture.

This post reminded me to check out Saturday's novices' chase, a race I've followed closely since Native River beat UTPT.

Tea Clipper has already found 7lbs for taking a fence but on Saturday he comes up against Flash Collonges who might be better again but is 40/1 for the Festival Novices Chases. Obviously BMG might be the stable's main hope but I reckon FC could improve into a 160+ novice, which might good enough for a place.

In any event, at this stage it's more about securing value prospects as opposed to outright winners.

Yes. I thought Bravemansgame was impressive on Saturday.

In terms of backing something else against him and the possible festival novice chase field, well I guess we can take a bit of comfort that Bravemansgame could equally run in the marsh over 2M4F couldn't he?

The marsh over the shorter distance especially with Bob Olinger in there looks like I wouldn't be keen to back anything else.

The festival novices chase on the other hand...

That's why Im hoping Tea Clipper runs on saturday as opposed to this friday.

Last edited:
The Run Wild Fred that ran in a Beginners' Chase in Oct 2020 and can still run in the NHC at the 2022 Festival? It's a nonsense.

The Run Wild Fred that ran in a Beginners' Chase in Oct 2020 and can still run in the NHC at the 2022 Festival? It's a nonsense.

17 months. I'm sure there are worse examples of second season novices. Ontheropes, fav for the Hennessey, is eligible. His first run in a beginners was in November 2019.

I see Run Wild Fred as Clever campaigning. Not out of bounds to think he could end up placed in a Gold Cup.

Last edited:
1.50 Newbury on Friday. For some reason the layers have Boothill and Mister Coffey at the top of the market which can't be right as A) neither have been seen over fences and B) they are trained by Harry Fry and Hendobottle respectively. Fifty Ball is a bet at 5s - liked his run last time at Sandown.

That would suggest he used the Irish National as a means to preserve his novice status for this season. I wouldn't be sure about that.

He's probably just improved a fair bit over the summer.

Of course he did. If you think you have a novice (maiden over chases) well enough handicapped to win a Thyestes (winner 60,000) or an Irish National (winner 215,000), you have a free hit. Take the decent prize and if you get chinned by a 150/1 yoke, you have options next year. Don't waste your novice status on a piddling beginners chase.

Back