Novice Chases 2021-22

Bob Olinger and My Drogo entered in the 2m 4f Novice chase at Cheltenham on Saturday

Got tickets for this, hope they both turn up

Willie has some strength in depth in his novice chasing ranks.

A one-two for Stattler and Fighter Allen in the second at Fairyhouse, after Blue Lord and El Barra doing the same in the first.

Gaillaird Du Mesnil and Galopin Des Champs entered in the 2m3f beginners chase at Navan on Thursday. Saint Sam also.

Gaillaird Du Mesnil & Capadanno both run for Mullins at Naas on Thursday.

Crosshill, Indiana Jones, Zoffanien and grade 3 winning mare Rosey's Hollow are among the opposition.

I'm guessing that Galopin des Champs will run in the 2 mile 5 beginners at Leopardstown on the 28th.

The Big Getaway won this race last year and Easy Game beat Allaho in 2019.

Last edited:
Read that Bob Olinger may wait for Punchestown in January for his next run. That plus his jumping being sketchy plus the Omicron thing means I really want to fade him for the Golden Miller, I want a horse with more experience. I think Pumpkin may aim Bravemansgame at this if he thinks Bob is vulnerable. I already have Appreciate it in the portfolio.

Read that Bob Olinger may wait for Punchestown in January for his next run. That plus his jumping being sketchy plus the Omicron thing means I really want to fade him for the Golden Miller, I want a horse with more experience. I think Pumpkin may aim Bravemansgame at this if he thinks Bob is vulnerable. I already have Appreciate it in the portfolio.

The over analysis of his first time out is overplayed

It was a better race than the G1 at Fairyhouse a week or two later

He beat Bacardys, it was below average and he didn't look like a natural. And he's sub 3/1 - must be taken on. Willie needs to pull his finger out with Appreciate It as well. This mass pulling of horses because of the ground is getting ridiculous - it was perfectly safe ground at Navan on Saturday.

Also, I have to hope this Irish dominance comes to an end in a year or two not because of patriotism but just for the racing over here. The Kauto Star is gonna be a 3 runner race meantime there's 4 or 5 horses in the Grade 1 at Limerick who could run in it.

And if he jumps well the next day, he is a natural?

I won't need to back him to be interested in how he fares so his price doesn't worry me but the microscopic analysis of his beginners is frustrating

I confess to having some mild reservations about Bob O after his maiden chase. His jumping wasn’t fluent enough to justify his current odds, imo.

I’m not at the ‘needs to be taken on’ stage yet, as the engine is evidently still all there, but I’d want to see him make a much better shape over his fences next time.

Unless I've missed something then unless Appreciate It is going to start off in a 2m5f Beginner's Chase, travel to England or meet Bob Olinger over 2m4f at Punchestown then then next chance for him to have his first run is Jan 27th at Gowran Park (Thyestes Chase day). Before then all the 2m Beginner's Chases are EBF only; so it's pretty strange that he wasn't entered at Leopardstown next Monday.

Mystery solved below.

Last edited:
I'd been asssuming that Appreciate It would run in the 2m and Galopin des Champs in the 2m5f at Leopardstown but they might now be planning to run Appreciate it at Leopardstown in the 2m5f and Galopin des Champs over 3m at Punchestown on New Years Eve.

Interesting debate re Bob Olinger's jumping.

Very good when he asked him and went long, but looks a bit clueless when getting in short. He was the same in his point in Turtulla for all the comments don't reflect that.

All of the family from the dam have been very keen in their races so a strong run race will suit him better as was the case in the Ballymore, but if he doesn't get some more experience in, his jumping when he has to fiddle one could prove to be his achilles.

The time is going to come fairly soon when it's no longer practical to give Appreciate It a novice chase campaign. The current 8/1 for the Champion Hurdle would probably look quite handy if that was the case.

Edit: No kidding, I've just read the following on Twitter:

"He will be out of training for a couple of weeks and because it would mean a late start to his chasing career in terms of this season, we've decided on a hurdling campaign when he is ready to return".

This possibly explains why he is 8/1 for the Champion, as I'd really expected it to be longer.

Last edited:
Surprised to see Tea Clipper in the Kauto Star entries for Sunday. He was a progressive hurdler then won first time over fences but was then dissapointing in a novice chase the last day when only two horses finished.

He will start big odds against the like of Bravemansgame etc and rightfully so after the last day.

I am just surprised the trainer is running him in this. Its a big step up in trip too. Its definately possible the last day was a really poor run and perhaps Tea Clipper is better than effort.

Even so I don't think I am tempted to back him at 16s or whatever he is being offered at atm.

Last edited:
Back