Novice Chases 2021-22

Agreed! Ahoy Senor is as big as 10/1 for the National Hunt Chase and won the other day by half the track off 152 and is likely now to be rated 160 +.

The current fav is Run Wild Fred 159 at 5/1 who won the Troytown

Ahoy Senor might just be a bit of a gift at 10's so I had a little dabble

You'd want Lucinda to get a race into him at Cheltenham otherwise it's one of those watching from behind the couch. At this stage I'd fancy him more for next year's Laddies Trophy than a top race at the Festival

He had his field in trouble a long way out. I would be prepared to back him for either festival target but at this stage, without knowing which he might go for, I couldn't back him for both as you're effectively throwing away half your stake.

RSA (Whatever it's called now) seems obvious to me.

The current fav for the race is a doubtful stayer IMO.

Last edited:
The price today was a gift; more fool me for assuming he'd be the fav and not checking. I'd say 3m in March, perhaps taking in the Dipper and the Towton along the way.

Looked ideally suited for the Scots national for this year. Likeable horse Not sure if the prize money would be worth it.

Last edited:
Agreed! Ahoy Senor is as big as 10/1 for the National Hunt Chase and won the other day by half the track off 152 and is likely now to be rated 160 +.

The current fav is Run Wild Fred 159 at 5/1 who won the Troytown

Ahoy Senor might just be a bit of a gift at 10's so I had a little dabble

Worth stating that Ahoy Senor’s chase mark of 152 is based on his hurdles mark, and he will be assessed afresh after his third chase run.

That said, I suspect connection will be expecting a good chunk more than that, based on today’s run.

I try not to go too overboard about form in small-field novice chases, but Ahoy Senor was definitely impressive today.

Looked ideally suited for the Scots national for this year. Likeable horse Not sure if the prize money would be worth it.

Irish Nash has been kind to novices lately, and is worth a bundle. Wonder if they might consider that? He definitely looks a thorough stayer on today’s evidence.

Edwardstone is a bet in the Henry VIII

Relative to the favourite he’s the wrong price Saturday. 9/2 with 365 but Betfred offering 3 places @ 4/1. Was cantering in his first run over fences when brought down then won easily next time out.

Finished in front of Third Time Lucki giving 5lb at Cheltenham over hurdles in March. That one is 6/4 and for all he’s looked good the last twice, this is better and a different track.

Bloke in bookies saying Galopin Des Champs is crocked.

Market looks fair enough atm though and not seen anything else. Just merely passing on the rumour mill.

Riviere Detel just won Ireland. I couldn't view the race live.

Generally 10s now for the Arkle. Right price?

Riviere Detel just won Ireland. I couldn't view the race live.

Generally 10s now for the Arkle. Right price?

Looked like the connections of the opposition had their shirts on her today. Never really tried to beat her. Will she even go for the Arkle (being a mare)?

Think she is taking advantage of the allowances while she can. I don't see her as a realistic Arkle candidate. Didn't do anything that she shouldnt have done today.

Ferny Hollow anything but eyecatching today but battled really well which was good to note

Not sure he is a horse that PM is suited too

Like a horse who needs a more "natural" pilot

Ferny Hollow anything but eyecatching today but battled really well which was good to note

Not sure he is a horse that PM is suited too

Like a horse who needs a more "natural" pilot

He made the other type of impression on me. The home straight is as quick as I'd want any beginners chaser to be going at. Thought it was a very good performance from a horse with so little experience. Jumped better as the race went on and when needed. I would fancy the first two to be placed in the Arkle.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to back Couer Sublime next time out -he is on his third trainer and has known issues.

Back