Novice Hurdlers 2010-2011

They paid a small fortune for Bens Moor IIRC so wouldn't rule him out of the equation Bar though he's unlikely to have the speed of something like Cue Card.

Silviniaco Conti was hugely impressive today at Chepstow I thought. Love the way he hurdled and travelled through the race today. If Captain Chris (who received a bit of a strange ride I thought ~ Johnson seemed at pains to hold him together for as long as possible) is taken to have run up to his Cheltenham form, the form has a very solid look to it as well.

Very impressed with Silviniaco Conti today and also Araucaria at Wexford. From what was written in the RP today though I got the impression that if SC ends up at Cheltenham it will be over fences rather than hurdles.

Cheers Simon - looks a very exciting recruit for Nicholls. For those into times and the like he covered the same CD as the 137 rated Any Given Moment in the exact same time, carrying a stone more.

Cue Card will be 4/6 tomorrow

If he jumps (and the trainer say he's natural), then wins on the bridle

As he did - an extremely taking performance even for such an easy Bumper winner and unlike the last runaway bumper winner - he jumped really well .

Nice to hear they plan to run him regularly in the run up to the Festival.

He's obviously not in the same class, but Dear Sam ran really well in Cue Card's race and should improve when stepping up to longer distances, I'd have thought.

He's obviously not in the same class, but Dear Sam ran really well in Cue Card's race and should improve when stepping up to longer distances, I'd have thought.

You're biased obviously, Simon, but I agree he's a lovely horse with a good attitude.

As he did - an extremely taking performance even for such an easy Bumper winner and unlike the last runaway bumper winner - he jumped really well .

Nice to hear they plan to run him regularly in the run up to the Festival.

Dunguib did as well on his debut over hurdles last year.Cue Card beat nothing of note and has a long way to go.

He did jump though rather than bunny hop everything. At 7/1 he's better value than Dunguib was at the same stage.

Not convinced by his trainers interview afterwards. You would have thought he would have an idea of the horses planned schedule for the year but he didn't seem to have any idea at all.

Would hope they'll take him to Cheltenham for the Paddy Power meeting and then to Newbury for the Challow Hurdle - that would be the most logical route IMO.

The Challow ! Isn't that over 3 miles ???

Of course Cue Card has a long way to go - most of the opposition defected and the Hobbs horse ran a stinker but it was his jumping that impressed me - Dunguib's engine was always impressive - his jumping seldom is .

Last edited:
While Cue Card jumped well in the main, he did make a few odd mistakes. One down the far side comes to mind. Having said that, he could hardly have been more impressive in beating a bunch of winners considering he pulled hard. I'd note one big difference between Dunguib and Cue Card, the former won his hurdles on soft ground when he could afford to be slow or deliberate. Cue Card jumped well in the main yesterday on quick ground and that will stand him in good stead come March. I do feel Irish horses can sometimes be surprised at cheltenham by the pace of jumping as they are more used to slower, softer ground conditions. Cue Card should love decent ground being by KingsTheatre. He could do no more than win as he did.

While Cue Card jumped well in the main, he did make a few odd mistakes. One down the far side comes to mind. Having said that, he could hardly have been more impressive in beating a bunch of winners considering he pulled hard. I'd note one big difference between Dunguib and Cue Card, the former won his hurdles on soft ground when he could afford to be slow or deliberate. Cue Card jumped well in the main yesterday on quick ground and that will stand him in good stead come March. I do feel Irish horses can sometimes be surprised at cheltenham by the pace of jumping as they are more used to slower, softer ground conditions. Cue Card should love decent ground being by KingsTheatre. He could do no more than win as he did.

I am not sure who was more surprised Dunguib or his jockey .:D

Ardross, your remarks about Tizzaaard's bemusement over a plan must be why Songsheet (elsewhere) has opined that he'll soon enough muck the horse up. Does he really not know how to schedule runs likely to play to his horses' strengths, then?

Ardross, your remarks about Tizzaaard's bemusement over a plan must be why Songsheet (elsewhere) has opined that he'll soon enough muck the horse up. Does he really not know how to schedule runs likely to play to his horses' strengths, then?

That was Aragorn - but I agree he has a point .

Any clown can train a good horse, just ask Mick Halford. Cue Card is in very good hands and the snobbery against him is sickening.

Captain Chris will run in a tongue tie next time and has a possible wind op booked if that doesn't sort it out.

Cue Card was originally owned as a baby by Hobbs' owners the Whatleys but they got rid of him - bet they're regretting that!

Back