Novice Hurdlers 2010-2011

I didn't see it either, Gearoid, like you I could only follow it by looking at the odds fluctuate on Betfair.

It's interesting that a few of us see the argument in favour of Character Actor, but the market is shrieking at us to stay away. I can't resist a small top up, though. His price in the place market is not so out of line.

Last edited:
I offer two services, Kriz.

The first is Economy class, where a steady stream of well fancied winners should mean you don't lose much more than about 50% of your stakes in a given year.

The second service is the Exotic option, where original selections will have you backing horses no one else would even consider. If one of them wins you can talk about it for the rest of your life. You might have to, because you could be waiting that long for the next one.

Well, your Economy class is 50% better than my late AXA 'low risk' bond, which lost 100% of my stakes in a quarter of a year! Rush my membership form now!

Best novice hurdler since Dunguib.
:D
Thing is, Irish 2 mile hurdlers are often found out because they rarely go a decent pace in Ireland - cue card had that pace today and has already proven more than Dunguib did prior to his Supreme run.

:D
Irish 2 mile hurdlers are often found out because they rarely go a decent pace in Ireland - .

Is there really any evidence for this? Irish hurdlers have a great record in the novice hurdles and the Champion. For every Dunguib there will be an Amaretto Rose or Binocular. Often the rule that when the Irish hotpot loses the Supreme a lesser fancied Irish horse goes and wins it!

You've taken my point the wrong way - I agree Irish novices do well, but in general the pace of Irish novice races does not always give you a guide to which Irish horses will go well in March.

From the Sporting Life:

Cue Card recorded a Timeform performance rating of 156 in winning at Cheltenham on Friday, a figure which the Halifax gurus report is extraordinarily high for this stage of the season.
Kieran Packman, Timeform's spokesman, commented: "The facile manner in which Cue Card saw off his field shouldn't detract from pre-race comments which observed that it was a well up-to-scratch renewal of the Grade 2.
"In returning a figure of 156, Cue Card has already shown a level of form 8lb in excess of that which would be good enough to win an average renewal of the Supreme Novices' Hurdle.
"Indeed, of the last 15 Supreme winners, only Hors La Loi III (162), posted a figure higher than Cue Card achieved this afternoon. To put it into some recent context, Dunguib was rated 136P at a similar stage of last season, yet was a similar price for the Surpeme.
"Of course, it's no certainty that the Supreme will be his Festival target, but this level of performance on just his second hurdling start underlines that he will be extremely difficult to beat in either of the novice hurdle contests in March. It really cannot be underplayed what a hugely exciting prospect Cue Card is."

That was what I was thinking.

I should have said short priced Irish hurdlers in my point above.

I have him on 149p provisional
will have a very good chance but we are in November and many horses will appear and many things can happen.
3/1 is on the short side for me.

I have him on 149p provisional
will have a very good chance but we are in November and many horses will appear and many things can happen.
3/1 is on the short side for me.
Should be Evens. Nothing will emerge between now and March that we aren't aware of unless they unleash the Leger winner. This isn't as early in the season as it used to be, if you know what I mean.

Back