Novice Hurdlers 2017/2018

I've been badly burnt too many times going for the hot pot in this race. Death Duty, Barters Hill, Black Hercules/No More Heroes, Briar Hill, Boston Bob all turned over.

Poetic Rhythm for me and a little chance in the Greatrex horse.

I backed Santini a while back and again straight after the Ballymore but think Chef Des Obeaux is an e/w bet to nothing at the prices

What a shocker from de Boinville there - Big Buck's would have struggled to win with that ride.

Annoyed to have left out Kilbracken Storm - he was impressive in December but flopped in the Challow but Tizzard horses have been running like drains. Ah well.

Excellent ride from Cobden.

Last edited:
Santini and Ballyward were my two against the field.

Neither got a good ride, especially Ballyward.

Held up in rear in heavy ground? Then kept wide? Seriously?

I assume they thought the leaders would come back to them much more quickly even so. The winner is a good horse though .

Kilbricken Star's fourth dam was Kilbricken Money, owned by Charmain Hill and trained by Paddy Mullins to win a Guinness Chase at Punchestown Festival in 1980/1981.
The stamina had to come from somewhere i suppose.
St Mellion Fairway in the family tree also.

Gordon Elliott will wait until nearer the time before deciding which race Samcro will line up in at next month's Punchestown Festival.

The much-vaunted six-year-old maintained his unbeaten record with a clear-cut win in the Ballymore Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham almost a fortnight ago and is likely to be a warm order in whichever race he contests in County Kildare.

Elliott said: "He's in great form, so he is. He came out of the race very well.

"We were hoping he'd win, but it is Cheltenham and things don't always happen there. Thankfully everything went well, he looks a very good horse and we're very lucky to have him.

"The plan is to go to Punchestown with him, all being well. He'll have a couple of entries, so it's not just finalised which race he's going to run in. We'll make up our minds a bit closer to the time."

Asked whether Samcro would remain over hurdles or embark on a career over fences next season, the trainer told At The Races: "It's still all up in the air. We're still toying with the idea of training him for the Champion Hurdle next year, but nothing is set in concrete yet.

"I'll have to talk to Michael and Eddie (O'Leary). We'll get Punchestown out of the way and make a plan then."

I'd prefer to see him stay over hurdles for a year.

We moaned about the quality of this year's Champion Hurdle and the apparent lack of opposition to Buveur D'air and it's no wonder when we've seen none of the past five winners of the Supreme stay over hurdles the following year and you have to go all the way back to Faugheen's Neptune win for the last winner of that race to meaningfully contest hurdle races the next season (Windsor Park had one attempt where he trailed in last).

Indeed if it wasn't for Buveur D'air being switched back to hurdles himself we'd have had a couple of shite Champion Hurdles.

He can go chasing the following year

I'd prefer to see him stay over hurdles for a year.

We moaned about the quality of this year's Champion Hurdle and the apparent lack of opposition to Buveur D'air and it's no wonder when we've seen none of the past five winners of the Supreme stay over hurdles the following year and you have to go all the way back to Faugheen's Neptune win for the last winner of that race to meaningfully contest hurdle races the next season (Windsor Park had one attempt where he trailed in last).

Indeed if it wasn't for Buveur D'air being switched back to hurdles himself we'd have had a couple of shite Champion Hurdles.

He can go chasing the following year
Flip side of that Wilson is that none of the winners of the 3 novice chases at this years festival came from the supreme or Neptune either though.

Flip side of that Wilson is that none of the winners of the 3 novice chases at this years festival came from the supreme or Neptune either though.

I wouldn't say it was the flip side DH, rather I'd say it adds more weight behind staying over hurdles for another year. Both Footpad and Presenting Percy had the experience of another year over hurdles following their juvenile/novice campaigns.

Simmo makes a good point about Champion Hurdle winner not tending to have the same level of success over fences but for the majority, such as Rock on Ruby, fences are an afterthought when they're no longer quick enough to win a Champion Hurdle.

Samcro would be different in that the Champion Hurdle - win or lose - would most definitely be a stepping stone.

Samcro needs to improve quite a bit to be talking Champion Hurdle but I would hope they take the chance and go for it.

He has a lot more going for him than the Supreme winner I imagine Melon might go chasing and we have seen the last of Faugheen in the race.

Seems crazy not to give it a go with only one horse to beat....I was slightly disappointed in him as he never exactly flew up the hill but that was just immaturity

Back