Older Horses 2011

Guest_

At the Start
Both Fame And Glory and Cape Blanco confirmed as staying in training for next season. They will be joining the likes of St Nicholas Abbey, Jan Vermeer and Await The Dawn who has already been confirmed from the same yard.

Any word yet on Workforce?

Excellent news. Some good 'uns to continue to look forward to. Rip's off to the bonking barracks, I see.

Probably too much to hope for Zenyatta to be added to the list - decision on her future still to be made on her apparently although reading a quote from the owners on the RP site I suspect the paddocks is the more likely option.

What is the story with Jan Vermeer this season? He had good form as a 3yo, but I remember reading an interview with APOB, stating that he'd made a horse's collar of the horse's campaign.

He's got a Lockinge entry, as well as a Tattersalls entry. Nicely bred, but optimum distance is anybody’s guess, with speed and stamina in his dam line.

A lot to like about Dick Turpin's performance today I thought, hopefully plenty more to come. I had a late invite by connections but unfortunately I had promised a friend I'd take him to Heathrow - gutted.

It seems slightly bizarre to me that Hannon seems so eager to up both Dick Turpin and Canford Cliffs to 10f (mentioned wanting to try the later at the trip today).

Neither of their running styles or pedigrees to me supports the view that they would be as or more effective at 10f; if anything, I would have thought both would be better suited by stepping down in trip.

Exactly. If I was the owner of Dick Turpin I would take him elsewhere if Hannon tries a stunt like he did running him in the Juddmonte last season - all designed to find a race schedule for DT that didn't coincide with Canford - he is a miler, and will not go further.

Exactly. If I was the owner of Dick Turpin I would take him elsewhere if Hannon tries a stunt like he did running him in the Juddmonte last season - all designed to find a race schedule for DT that didn't coincide with Canford - he is a miler, and will not go further.

We did this to death last season but surely the owner has put his foot down this year and said he wants him running in the Group One mile races against Canford if necessary?

That was down to Richard Hughes he convinced the owner DT would get 10f - but he tried to hold him up and he pulled so hard any chance he had was gone in the first 2f - so far i've only heard the Lockinge is supposed to be his next target and was told to get on e/way a while back so I'd be very surprised if the owner will be talked out of it by the trainer. Although from Hannons comments after the race he didn't seem to like the idea of DT & CC running against each other.

I'd also like to see DT have one attempt at 10f this season but ridden handy this time as i'm not totally convinced he won't get the trip but nothings been mentioned about it.

If I was the owner of Dick Turpin I would take him elsewhere if Hannon tries a stunt like he did running him in the Juddmonte last season - all designed to find a race schedule for DT that didn't coincide with Canford - he is a miler, and will not go further.

Could be Prince of Wales bound at the Royal meeting. Completely mental. The way CC travels coupled with the short straight means the longer Group 1 would be right up his street. Dick Turpin is so with the wrong trainer. If Harbinger and Workforce had been Hannon horses I think the former would have run in the Grand Prix De Saint Cloud last year.

Clueless:

Quoted on his website, Hannon said: "We did not have Dick Turpin revved up for Sandown as he has a big season ahead of him.

"While a clash with Canford Cliffs in the Lockinge looks inevitable, we might then have a look at the Prince of Wales's Stakes at Royal Ascot.

"Both Dick Turpin and Canford Cliffs are top-class milers, but if we can stretch them out in distance it not only increases our options but also raises their profile as potential stallion prospects."

Dick Turpin:
Lockinge
Queen Anne
Jacque Le Marois

CC:
Lockinge
POW
Eclipse (if he wins the POW) Sussex if he doesn't

Simples.

Dick Turpin is so with the wrong trainer.

Ah yes the trainer who bought him for a song and has made him into a Group 1 winner .

There was every reason to hope DT would stay 10f - he pulled far too hard that day and plugged on OK . I imagine if he had the race again Hughes would have waited in front .

Mr Manley is a man of his own mind . I have no doubt the horse will run where he wants it to run but he was second in three consecutive G1 races last year so if they can place him to win instead all well and good .

Back