Older Horses 2011

Lot of stamina on dam side though isnt there? Recall looking at this last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronymous
Dick Turpin is so with the wrong trainer.

Ah yes the trainer who bought him for a song and has made him into a Group 1 winner .

Exactly

Pure speed on the dam's side, Clive.

Dam was a sprinter, she was a sibling to lots of sprinters, and she has produced sprinters.

I don't have access to his full page here, but I think the page had speed all over it on the dam's side. Cornwallis and Palace House winners there.

Any stamina DT has, probably comes from his old man, who has been getting a few milers. He even got the 12f winner Line of Duty.

Ok fair enough

I tend towards view that optimum distances mean a lot in racing and the step up from 8 to 10f is quite tough. Im not sure they should be getting so much stick for trying (they would hardly be the first...think of all those july cup horses at Ballydoyle) though. Last years effort was a bit inconclusive

Last edited:
I agree that there is no harm trying. But I think they have found the horse's best distance, and they have tried him at 10f once already. If they are going to try it again because they really feel he has a chance of winning a G1, fair enough. But if they are doing it to avoid CC, then it is foolish. There are plenty of G1 races over a mile in Europe.

Just FYI, here is info on DT's dam line:

1st dam​
MERRILY (GB): placed 4 times at 3 and 4 years; dam of​
3 winners from 5 runners and 6
foals of racing age;
Vigorous (IRE) (2000 f. by Danetime (IRE)):
2 wins at 3 years and £15,802 and placed
5 times, broodmare.
Lady Schmuck (IRE) (2005 f. by Clodovil (IRE)):
2 wins at 3 years, 2008 and £14,989.
Cheerily (IRE) (2003 f. by Danehill Dancer (IRE)): placed once at 2 years; also
winner

at 4 years, 2007 in U.S.A. and £12,239 and placed twice.
Golden Snitch (IRE) (2004 g. by Redback (GB)): ran twice in N.H. Flat Races.
Hasodikis (IRE) (2006 c. by Fasliyev (USA)): unraced to date.​
2nd dam​
BABYCHAM SPARKLE:​
2 wins at 2; dam of 6 winners from 10 runners and 12 foals inc.:

DEEP FINESSE (GB)​
(c. by Reprimand): 4 wins at 2 and 3 years at home and in
France and £84,018 inc. Palace House S., Newmarket,
Gr.3 and Prix du Bois,
Longchamp,
Gr.3, 3rd Polypipe PLC Flying Childers S., Doncaster, Gr.2.
Number Eleven:
winner at 3 years; dam of 6 winners inc.:
Champagne Girl (GB):
winner at 2 years; dam of 5 winners inc.:

HALMAHERA (IRE)​
: 9 wins and £302,432 inc. Cornwallis S., Ascot, Gr.3.

Blue Rocket (IRE)​
: 2 wins at 2 and 3 years, 2007 3rd Nell Gwyn S., Gr.3.
Jouet (GB): placed twice at 3 years; dam of
3 winners:

RISING SHADOW (IRE)​
: 7 wins at 2 to 7 years, 2008 and £131,934 inc.
Cammidge Trophy, Newcastle,
L. and Wentworth S., Windsor, L.

Night Cru (GB):​
5 wins at 3 and 4 years, 2007 and £32,134.
Bonne (GB):
winner at 3 years, 2008 and placed twice.

3rd dam​
EFFERVESCENCE II:​
2 wins in France; dam of 7 winners from 9 runners and 12 foals inc.:

EL FAMOSO​
: 3 wins in France inc. Prix de la Ville de Trouville, Deauville, L.; sire.
Clicquot:
4 wins at 2 and 3 years and £5733; dam of 5 winners inc.:

PREMIERE CUVEE​
: Champion older mare in Germany in 1986, won Goldene
Peitsche, Baden-Baden,
Gr.3; dam of SHE BAT (GB): won Premio Bagutta,
Milan,
Gr.3, CASK (GB): won Fern Hill Rated H., Ascot, L.; grandam of SHE
BREEZE (GB)
: won Premio Roberto Baldassarri, Rome, L., She Basic
(IRE)
: winner in Italy, 3rd P.Regina Elena -1000 Guineas, Rome, Gr.2.

FIZZED (GB)​
: won Fern Hill Rated H., Ascot, L., 2nd Prix d'Astarte, Gr.2.
Ebullient:
winner at 3 years; dam of 3 winners inc.:

OLD FAITHFUL​
: won Madrid H., Curragh, L.

Maura Paul: placed 5 times; dam of​
Sign People: winner, 3rd Champion Two
Year Old Trophy, Ripon,
L.

More Fizz:​
winner at 3 years in France; dam of 5 winners inc.:

RIVER FALLS (GB)​
: 3 wins at 2 and 3 years and £102,805 inc. Scottish
Equitable Gimcrack S., York,
Gr.2, 3rd Middle Park S., Newmarket, Gr.1; sire.

Rock Point (IRE)​
: winner in Australia 2nd Christmas S., Rosehill, L.

Fairy Contessa (IRE): placed 3 times; dam of​
NEEDLES AND PINS (IRE): won

St Hugh's S., Newbury,​
L., 2nd Prix d'Arenberg, Maisons-Laffitte, Gr.3.
Musical Essence: placed once at 3 years; dam of
5 winners inc.:

MONSIEUR BOND (IRE)​
: won Duke of York S., York, Gr.2; sire.
More Sparkle: unraced; dam of
2 winners inc.:

Mauricienne (FR): winner in France and in U.S.A., 3rd Finlandia Cup H., L.

Last edited:
Zacinto runs in a listed race over a mile tomorrow (Ascot 3.05). Currently 3/1. Eton Forever at 4/1 is the one to catch my eye. Looks certain to runs it's race where as Zacinto is very much 3/1 on reputation.

Playing Devil's Advocate a little, but isn't Zacinto's Queen Anne form about the best in the race, and he was better still than that the previous year. He'd come with too many risks for me, but not hard to see a situation where he could run out a convincing winner.

Playing Devil's Advocate a little, but isn't Zacinto's Queen Anne form about the best in the race, and he was better still than that the previous year. He'd come with too many risks for me, but not hard to see a situation where he could run out a convincing winner.

You would be well entitled to start one of your 'Why isn't Zacinto a 6/4 shot' threads but I have it in my head he is a bleeder. He could hack up but is there any downside to an e/w bet on Eton Forever @ 4/1?

Awesome looking Prix Ganay tomorrow. Has there ever been a better renewal? Not a betting race really though. Like to see Sarafina win as she's a banker in my ten to follow lists.

I thought it was tomorrow too but RP said has it down for today..

I think Sarafina is the bet for the Arc at 20s..

Serafina is a proper 12f horse . Hope we see her over here in the summer . Planteur looked good though especially as Soumillon put him in a pocket.

Agreed, I know he beat nothing but it was very impressive stuff. A really really exciting prospect for the year.

Planteur looks to have improved bundles as a 4 year old and he won very well on Saturday I thought in the Ganay. The time was absolutely epic and I gave him the same figure that I gave Frankel (not taking WFA in to account).

It was a nice performance right enough but he'd already had a run whereas Sarafina hadn't.

That was the first time I'd seen So You Think and the horse made a real impression on me.

I'd have Sarafina as 3-5 pounds or more better than Planteur. She will come on a lot for that - her year is built around October I would think..

Planteur looks to have improved bundles as a 4 year old and he won very well on Saturday I thought in the Ganay. The time was absolutely epic and I gave him the same figure that I gave Frankel (not taking WFA in to account).

Planteur is my older horse to follow this year - think he has improved a pile on last year - he wouldn't have to improve that much to be a champion. Love to see him at Ascot.

I'd have Sarafina as 3-5 pounds or more better than Planteur. She will come on a lot for that - her year is built around October I would think..

I'd have agreed with you in October but Planteur has put in two very impressive displays already this term. I appreciate he has had fitness on his side this time and the mare will probably be better over 1m4f but Planteur looks a much much better horse than last year. Really hope him and So You Think clash in the POW.

Back