One-eyed Racehorse(s)

As long ago as the 1950s I remember a very big Flat racehorse who used to run perfectly well, and win, who was one-eyed (this was in Africa, not in the UK), and there are at least three one-eyed horses running over jumps here at present, with no problems at all. Since the judgment on how to jump is made well before take-off, and no horse actually sees a jump as he goes over it, one-eyedness isn't a factor in determining jumping accuracy.

Incidentally, thinking of DEAF horses, I'm reading Muriel Lennox's book on NORTHERN DANCER, and it details the examination of HYPERION's skeleton. A large overgrowth of bone was found behind one of his ears, which indicated deafness or, at the least, severely impaired hearing in that ear. The explanation for his calm, dreamy life off-track then looked to be that, in the yard and in his fields, he couldn't hear very much, which also explained why he would run right up to birds and other animals to 'examine' them - presumably he wondered why they didn't make any noise. Then, due to the roaring of the crowds and the general noise on racecourses, his poor ear could at last pick up extreme sounds, whereupon he became animated, picked up his performance to brilliant effect.

What do you call a dinosaur with one eye

DOYOUTHINKHESAURUS

What do you call a fish with no eyes

FSH

Well i thought they were funny :lol:

:lol: - new the one with the saurus - jimmy keeps telling me

how do you call a budgie with ´noo teeth: SUCCSEED B)

Anyway - thanks so very much for all the replys, I will let you know what she will be up to ; she should be ready to run in about April - BTW - we run her in a sort of syndicate and found 10 people willing to share her with us .... so at least she has a following.

Jim Bolger trained a horse called Specs Appeal - I believe had no sight in his left eye. You don't want to know what happened to him, though! :o

What about the Irish NH horse, AYE AYE POPEYE - is he one-eyed?

Grey, it's probably because more people can relate to someone or something with one eye, than they can to the arcana of bizarrely, and rarely, coloured racehorses. You try saying, "Oh, look at that bay sabino over there," as against "Hey, check out the one-eyed No.7" and see the difference in reaction! :D

Tony McCoy is about to ride in an important race on a new horse. The horse's trainer meets him before the race and says, "All you have to remember with this horse is that every time you approach a jump, you have to shout, "ONE, TWO, THREE,UP" really loudly in the horse's ear. Providing you do that, you'll be fine". AP thinks the trainer is mad but promises to carry this out. The race begins and they approach the first hurdle, but AP can't be assed and ignores the trainer's advice and the horse crashes straight through the centre of the jump. They carry on and approach the second hurdle. Although somewhat annoyed, AP thinks it was a one off and keeps quiet again. The same thing happens-the horse crashes straight through the centre of the jump. At the third hurdle, he thinks, "OK, it's no good, I'll have to do it" and yells, "ONE, TWO, THREE UP!" really loudly. Sure enough, the horse sails over the jump with no problems. This continues for the rest of the race, but due to the earlier problems the horse only finishes third. The trainer is fuming and asks AP if he carried out the instruction at every jump. Not wishing to let on he had ignored the instructions to begin with AP replies, "Nothing is wrong with me. It's this bloody horse. He must be deaf or something?"

"Deaf?? DEAF?? He's not deaf - he's effin blind!!!".

I think you'll find Dream Magic is blind in the right eye as he wears an eye patch as well, and he won very cosy on Wednesday.

Regards

1 of the horses we had in Dunlops belonging to the Arabs only had 1 eye.I think it was Alaared,whos now running over jumps.(I could be mistaken on name cos I'm always mixing up the arab names!).He had an infection in his eye when he was out in Dubai and the stable lad never did anything about it,eventually it got so bad that his whole eye had to be removed when they finally noticed it.He got along just fine without it,though I had my doubts when he was bought to go jumping.

Does anyone here remember Panche Calyan, who was born with 5 legs?

They sawed one of them off, and he went on to win a number of races. This would have been at end of the 50s/early 60s.

Back