Only Fools On Horses

On now... and it's looking good! Sally Gunnell just off to jump her round.

Go on Sally! B)

Paul Nicholas just did a clear round. He is 60 years old (Paul, not the horse) and on a lovely horse called Funtime. Brilliant stuff! B)

Missed the first 15 mins so missed Sally at least, I'm helping out a guy at work with the whole thing. I backed Anna Ryder Richardson & Nicky Chapman earlier in the week at 8s and 9s respectively. By all accounts Anna Ryder Richardson could well be bit of a ringer & is supposed to be a very good rider.

Jenny Falconer... a bit of a novice, but looks like an extremely stylish rider. Go Girl! B)

Her horse is called J.Lo - love it! B)

Have to say I felt slightly sorry for the novices , not bad going with only 3 weeks riding but silly lady who got voted off is blaming the horse on bbc3 now . Feel most sympathy for the horses and Tim Stockdale's staff though :D I don't think I'd let my horse have the mouth hacked off it but it looks like they've still got the upper hand :D Matt has to be odds on to win

Did anyone see Young Black Farmers last Sunday ?

I was very impressed with Bobby's efforts - he was an absolute natural and the guy teaching him was brilliant.

No, I didn't see it Songsheet - but talking about horses other than racehorses how is your horse now? Any improvement in her condition etc?

I did Jules, it was a very good programme. I couldn't believe how good Bobby was, especially considering he'd only been riding 3 weeks. The guy must be naturally agile & with a great sense of balance as he sat beautifully in the saddle without shifting his weight - in fact he sat better than a lot of people I know who have been riding for years!

The girl Chantelle (?) did very well with showing the cattle too - most people who aren't used to animals would certainly have baulked at getting so 'hands on' with cattle - I even know plenty of people who are used to animals who baulk at going within striking distance of livestock or horses!

I missed the first 20 mins or so of the programme but I very much liked it and what a great idea. Personally I strongly think that all children, especially those growing up in town/city areas should have regular farm visits & education as a mandatory part of their education, not least so that they can be aware that chickens don't just magically appear shrink-wrapped & on a shelf in Sainsbury's. I think that it is imperative that kids learn about looking after animals & how they breed, as well as how a farm works. It truly staggers me sometimes discovering the amount of ignorance about animals, where food comes from/how it gets on the shelf and so on and so forth when talking to supposedly intelligent people who were brought up in towns.

A very good friend of mine runs a tack shop & feed store on a working educational farm near Maidstone called Nepicar farm - they have kids from all about, many from London, coming to the farm on regular school visits to see the animals and learn a bit about how they are looked after & brought up. It's a fantastic little place too, complete with most livestock (cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, shetland ponies - soon to add llamas!) and "cuddles corner" where they breed (& sell on as pets) mainly rabbits & guinea pigs. They also had a barn owl last time I was there, as well as their peacock & peahens, guinea fowl & ornamental chickens. I even managed to get a pretty clear photo of the barn owl through the dirty window of the mock-up barn where he was kept - he was hiding at the back tucking into his baby mice dinner! Nepicar Farm

I'd have thought that might turn more kids vegetarian than never visiting a farm! After a cutesy session in Cuddles Corner and bringing home a thweet bunny-wabbit, the thought of who'd gone into my kitty-cat's dinner would be horrifying! :lol:

What an ignorant cow,That horse that Josie Darby had was an absolute SAINT. She was terrified - anyone could see that, but he took her round and really really looked after her. Dont agree that Nikki Chapmans horse let her down perticually - she should have been a bit more positive.(but its easy for me to say,sat at home watching!!)
Id want my stirrups up at least two holes if it was me though !
Im happy with my two - Matt is obviously very good, and Suzi - now theyve given her a nice horse ( im sorry - I know it made good TV, but that first one did some DIRTY stuff to her) will come on.
Theyve all done really well - Diarmud was fab!! (much better than he waas at dancing!!)

Didnt really enjoy the lenth of the program though - it went on a bit for my liking.

Anna Ryder Richardson impressed me the most but if she is a ringer like someone mentioned then its hardly supprising.

Id like to know where the horses came from. Im guessing they must be horses tim has in the yard for his working pupils. There were a couple of really nice ones there and they were all so patient. Josie Darbys horse was a saint and looked after her.

I know one thing I wouldnt let them loose on my horse. So full marks to whoever did.

I agree Skyliner - Anna Ryder Richardson looked the most accomplished & skillful rider. Matt Baker did well too (even if he can't keep his legs still & kept swinging them back - could lead to problems especially if the horse comes out of push-button mode) & I thought Suzi Perry & Sara Cox were only ok really. Considering Sara Cox is supposed to be an experienced rider I thought she was very weak. I didn't think Diarmuid was very good actually Trudi - he could stick on but hands a bit like shovels!!!!

None of them are perfect tho Dom (unlike us of course ;) !!!!)maybe fab was a bit iof a strong word,but hes done very well considering - especially after his dancing efforts.Knowing what a nightmare pupil he sems to be, he seems to have really taken to this.As for the others - I still think that if she really had nevcer sat on a horse till just a couple of weeks ago, Suzi Perry is doing fantastically well. Be interesting when they have their "race" on Wed o Thurs !!!!

Au contraire, the Irish tend to have lovely hands!!! :D

I know they're not perfect Trudi, I just wasn't very impressed with him tbh. There were a few others who had a far better riding technique I thought, and 10/1 Anna Ryder Richardson is massive.

Back