Only Fools On Horses

The implication that because someone is from Ireland they have hands like shovels is dis.... oh, hang on.

...and again there, Diarmuid had hands like shovels! Of course I could use the more popular racing phraseology but as it is horrendously non-PC I won't!!

Just tuned in, a few observations;

Who is MattL?

Is all that make-up really necessary Kirsty? I wonder if the doll to dog letdown would be as startling as it is with Aislynne from BB7

Would Fallon be allowed to take part?

I am not sure if some people are forgetting that this is not necessarily about the best rider as the public also vote to keep these rider's in or out of the competition and this goes towards their final marks.

Therefore, rather than the best rider - which is fairly obvious by those that have stated they have ridden before, for me it would be those that improve the most, and possibly those that are bravest and take on some of the harder fences when their nerves allow.

I think Paul Nicholas rode a pretty good round for a 60 year old novice and I thought Ruby Wax, again with her age and lack of experience would also be a fairly good bet to get through a few more episodes. Ruby definitely adds the comedy element to the whole show and she really is trying to bond with Mr. Kenneth. Out of the other woman I thought Jenny Falconer sat her horse particularly well and may well be popular with some of the male audience.

Looking forward to watching the next episode already.

I think all those who rode in those very restrictive body protectors deserve a special mention. ;)

I'd like to refute these Irish stereotypes, but having just checked, it appears I have lovely hands too. Begorrah!!

It is very important to have lovely hands for many many things. ;)
Having watched him tonight though, I was not so impressed with DG - he was very flappy, and as a novice,I would have expected him to have come on a bit since last night.
At least Funtime wont need his teeth checked for a while - I doubt hes got many left now!

This kind of show cant turn into a popularity contest thankfully - yes there is an element of it - the public can make a difference when the scores get tight,but showjumping is one of the few sports where you cant cheat to win - you either go clear or you dont. Its always going to be the riders with the most ability and best rapport with their horse that do well. Ruby is getting on very well with her new horse - ( get well soon Mr Kenneth!!) but Anna Ryder thingy has a superb partnership with hers.Shes also very neat,and seems to be improving with every ride.
Roll on their X=-country rounds and the races - that will sort a few of them out.

Still happy with mine,especielly now MAtt Baker has pulled his jerks up..... B)

"Look at all the lovely bubbles, Mummy... "

I thought Diarmuid's hands might be like shovels not because he's Irish, but because he's a professional gardener. Better after tonight as we're down to getting more competitive now that the least competent have gone (sorry, least competent riders, bless you), and as confidence builds, so does the tendency to take a few risks - it could get really interesting! :o

Originally posted by Kathy@Jul 8 2006, 05:38 PM
I thought Jenny Falconer sat her horse particularly well and may well be popular with some of the male audience.

Looking forward to watching the next episode already.
Surely Kathy you're not seriously suggesting that we'd spend a Saturday evening watching this type of drivel, let alone waste our money phoning a vote in :lol:

Unfortunately, I think programmes like Big (bloody) Brother and that Jungle thing have taught us which demographic in the population these TV shows that involve the use of a telephone is pitched at. Regretably their viewing profiles bare this out. Against the twin attractions of beer and the World Cup, Jenny Falconer (who is she?) has got to roll back years of genetic programing and cultural conditioning if she thinks we're going to start dialling en-masse into a D list celebrity show jumping programme at the weekend.

My gut reaction is that if the aforementioned Ms Falconer is a 'bit of alright' then she's probably the most vulnerable of the lot, as surely experience has shown us that it is women, who vote other women, out of these programmes if they perceive them to be preening pea hens

Hi Warbler.

I certainly don't sit in on a Saturday night to watch it, I tape it. Don't worry I don't spend a penny voting either.... well, not yet anyway! I had to trawl the websites this morning to find out who was voted off last night. :unsure:

This programme is certainly better than some of the other drivel they normally show at prime time TV. As as I actually have an interest in horses I like to think I can tell the difference (just about) from someone who can actually sit a horse rather than flap about, tugging at the horse's mouth and basically letting the horse do all the work.

Jenni Falconer, I didn't know her either, but evidently does something for GMTV, which I don't watch. I must have seen her on something else as her face is definitely familiar.

Riding horses at this level does take an amount skill, and I especially love watching those over 50 having a go, as it takes a bit of courage to do this, especially on prime time television. There is always a danger one of them is going to dismount via the side door - whatever their age. For those that say they haven't ridden before as well, I think it is a great achievement.

The even better news is, I hope it encourages a lot of people to take up horse riding, male of female and whatever their age it is a sport that has been in the decline, especially at some of the riding schools near me. It is a great way of seeing the countryside when hacking out, of meeting new people, and getting exercise too.

I personally think it was a great idea for a show even for those that have minimal interest in horse riding.

:lol:

Hey, each to their own, guys. Perhaps we'd roll in the aisles far fit to bust if Merlin and Warbler told us what they like to watch for a bit of harmless relaxation. The show's nothing like the gratuitously prurient and pointless BB, nor is it a cringe-making exercise in massaging the egos of the self-inflated nonentities in the 'Get Me Outta Here' rubbish. It's heart is in the right place, even if some of the riders aren't always! Most charity fundraisers have to be fun in order to get people to cough up the dough, since the competition for the public's 5ps is pretty fierce.

Sport Relief has helped a few kids to get, literally, out of the gutter and to look forward to the type of life that too many brats in this country carelessly assume is their right to have, or to ignore because they're going straight onto the dole, anyway, and who needs education?

No-one is forced to watch the show, of course, any more than any of the moronic millions who watch BB are forced to watch its imbecilic antics - but at least the folks on what you sneeringly call the 'D-list', Warbler, are giving up their time to raise awareness for some sad and serious causes in a fun, challenging way. And there was I thinking you were so very big on, and in, social awareness. <_<

I think this is a bit better than a lot of the celebrity dross we are fed on a daily basis now, at least this is for charity unlike Love Island which starts tomorrow where C list celebrities siblings cop off with one another for money which they get to keep.

How long have the celebs had to learn to ride?

Some of them have been dire and the fences don't look too taxing, I've tackled worse when learning to jump. Wax just sat there and let the horse carry her this evening which arguably is a good tactic if you're on a keen forward going horse...until it refuses :lol:

Originally posted by gamla_stan@Jul 9 2006, 11:31 PM

How long have the celebs had to learn to ride?

Gamla_Stan, I am not overly sure but someone I know knew about alot of the injuries (she knows the physio working on the programme) about 3 weeks ago, so I am assuming they had been riding for about 3 weeks before the series actually hit the TV screens.

".........I am not overly sure............"

AAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!

See what I mean about the demise of the word "very".

Kathy, are you auditioning for a job as a racing channel presenter, by any chance?................See me in my office later. :shy:

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jul 10 2006, 07:55 AM
".........I am not overly sure............"

AAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!

See what I mean about the demise of the word "very".

Kathy, are you auditioning for a job as a racing channel presenter, by any chance?................See me in my office later. :shy:
:shy: I am very, very sorry, boss. Please be very gentle with me. :)

I was looking forward to this but I have to say it went on far too long and what qualifications do Angus Deaton and Kirsty Gallagher have to talk about showjumping.I thought his comments about Leroy Josies horse being stubborn on the first night were ridiculous.At least Jessica Kuerten and Robert Smith corrected them,though dont get me started on Jodie "expert on everything" kid.
You can tell that Anna Ryder Richardson,Sara Cox and Matt Baker have ridden before.Annas horse is by far the nicest on the programme.
Did Tim Stockdale teach them nothing or why did every rider let their horse almost run out at 2nd last and the ones who did then came back with whip in wrong hand.I did enjoy shouting at tv though! :D

I think Jodie Kidd's there because she rides quite a lot in charidee Flat races - she's certainly been round Plumpton's. Deayton is a waste o'space in my opinion - he's better when he's supposed to be sharp 'n' sarky, here he just seems bored. At least they brought in Michael Tucker for the commentary, but perhaps they should've brought in Tommo as the presenter... ;)

I have just watched the recording from last night (I think) and saw a lovely bit where Matt Baker went to say goodnight to his horse - I think called, Peter. Peter was laying down and Matt was just talking softly to him and kissing his head. They appear to have really bonded. In the end shot, Peter was resting his head on Matt's foot, and then appeared to nod off. Bless him.

Entirely agree Spoons about Angus Deayton and Kirsty. They do not present this programme well at all. I think Claire Balding would have been far better with someone like......... :rolleyes: I can't immediately think of a good looking, funny, horse knowledgeable bloke.....

Back