Our pets

Sorry to hear of your pain Luke. I have no desire for or time of pets TBH, but I am able to see from those around me how real is the love.

Beach? Woodstown?

If so our paths have probably crossed...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this news, Luke. All the best to you and your family.

EC1 was devastated when he lost his cat a year or two ago. He hasn't posted much after that. Let's hope Alan is okay.

Sorry to hear of your pain Luke. I have no desire for or time of pets TBH, but I am able to see from those around me how real is the love.

Beach? Woodstown?

If so our paths have probably crossed...

I was never a dog person but when your 4 year Old daughter asks you for a dog for Christmas it is very hard to say no.Same daughter arrived home from University last Friday to learn that the end was close -that was emotional.
Woodstown is a fine beach but nothing beats Tramore at 6:30during the morning -Nice walk on the beach followed by a visit to the Seagull Bakery -the best in Ireland.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for your support.Last Saturday I was a basket case but we all sat down as a family and had a bit of craic which was a big help.I knew that a positive mental attitude was vitally important -the brain can play tricks on you.By Wednesday I was concentrating on how proud I was of the life we gave Lucky and a million happy memories.Gone but not forgotten.
Thanks everyone.

I was never a dog person but when your 4 year Old daughter asks you for a dog for Christmas it is very hard to say no.Same daughter arrived home from University last Friday to learn that the end was close -that was emotional.
Woodstown is a fine beach but nothing beats Tramore at 6:30during the morning -Nice walk on the beach followed by a visit to the Seagull Bakery -the best in Ireland.

Love the Tramore beach and the seagull bread too, Luke.

The odd morning at Woodstown horse boxes would pull up around 7.30AM - and Henry would be there soon after. I was once there with a brother watching Honeysuckle and APT canter then have a splash among the oyster beds. Them's the days.

Love the Tramore beach and the seagull bread too, Luke.

The odd morning at Woodstown horse boxes would pull up around 7.30AM - and Henry would be there soon after. I was once there with a brother watching Honeysuckle and APT canter then have a splash among the oyster beds. Them's the days.

Henry is very approachable and would chat away to you-sound man.

Has anyone ever had a dog with a nail bed infection? We took Winnie for quite a long walk the other weekend when we were in Northumberland and when we got back one toe was swollen. Took her to the vet the next day and she’s been on antibiotics ever since. Now back in Derby and I’m taking her to my vets to get more antibiotics. Although it looks a lot better she has a black lump on the base of the nail bed and I’m scared that it’s something sinister. I did ( I think) mention the possibility of it being something other than just an infection and I think he said it was unlikely as it’s quite rare ( I can’t remember the whole conversation as I was mostly concerned about the long term affect of antibiotics). She’s my world but I seem to be very unlucky when it comes to my dogs even though I try so hard to do what’s best for them. I don’t really have a vet that I have faith in these days, especially since they all seem to be taken over by large concerns these days. She isn’t at all lame and doesn’t appear to be in pain. Thankfully, as a sighthound she seems quit happy to sleep 99% of the time!

Thanks Marb, I'm okay, you are a good guy chap. Thank you to everyone who posted on here. We so love our pets. It has been a long time since I lost my girl cat and I still, even now, shed tears some nights over her. She relied on me, she was a pure house cat. We have to move on don't we?

Thanks Marb, I'm okay, you are a good guy chap. Thank you to everyone who posted on here. We so love our pets. It has been a long time since I lost my girl cat and I still, even now, shed tears some nights over her. She relied on me, she was a pure house cat. We have to move on don't we?
Hi Ec, i hope youre ok.
We lost our cat Smokey almost 3 yrs ago and i still have days with tears running down my face.
He had hyperthyroidism and other complications.
We fed him high Protein food when he would eat, but his weight continued to fall
We eventually had to have him put to sleep at 17
A heartbreaking time, but we have lots of great memories.
I bet you have too.
Take care and try to think of all the happy days you spent togerher.

Has anyone ever had a dog with a nail bed infection? We took Winnie for quite a long walk the other weekend when we were in Northumberland and when we got back one toe was swollen. Took her to the vet the next day and she’s been on antibiotics ever since. Now back in Derby and I’m taking her to my vets to get more antibiotics. Although it looks a lot better she has a black lump on the base of the nail bed and I’m scared that it’s something sinister. I did ( I think) mention the possibility of it being something other than just an infection and I think he said it was unlikely as it’s quite rare ( I can’t remember the whole conversation as I was mostly concerned about the long term affect of antibiotics). She’s my world but I seem to be very unlucky when it comes to my dogs even though I try so hard to do what’s best for them. I don’t really have a vet that I have faith in these days, especially since they all seem to be taken over by large concerns these days. She isn’t at all lame and doesn’t appear to be in pain. Thankfully, as a sighthound she seems quit happy to sleep 99% of the time!

Our Romeo (Jack Russell - Parsons) tore the nail sheath and his toe became infected, we thought, because it became swollen. Didn’t get any better with treatment so eventually had a biopsy and it was not good. He had to have his toe off and we are living in hope that it hasn’t spread elsewhere. If Winnie’s lump is not too small your vet should be able to do a needle biopsy to set your mind at rest.

Thankfully she’s ok now. The vet in Derby put her on antibiotics for another week but said to bring her in after 7 days to possibly remove the nail. When we saw her she said it looked a lot better and wanted her to come off the antibiotics. I begged her for more as the vet in Berwick had said he wanted her on them for several week. So, I paid for the antibiotics but planned to only give them to her if it got bad again. Anyway, returning to Northumberland I dremelled her nail one night and it bled profusely so I restarted the antibiotics and took her back to the first vet who was annoyed that the second vet had advised not to continue with them. A few more weeks of antibiotics and he said she looked ok and the nail is now growing normally ( phew). I think it must have been a combination of trauma ( someone else had walked her the day before it happened) and walking in mud. I always ask for needle aspirations now after my last dog had a lump removed from her head, was x rayed, had a massive scar on her head and it turned out to be a cyst. She was totally brutalised.Had the vet done a needle aspiration she wouldn’t have been put through all of that. I was so worried that Winnie had a melanoma, especially as she’s black and black dogs are more prone to them. I hope your dog is ok and that it hasn’t spread.

Hi Ec, i hope youre ok.
We lost our cat Smokey almost 3 yrs ago and i still have days with tears running down my face.
He had hyperthyroidism and other complications.
We fed him high Protein food when he would eat, but his weight continued to fall
We eventually had to have him put to sleep at 17
A heartbreaking time, but we have lots of great memories.
I bet you have too.
Take care and try to think of all the happy days you spent togerher.
I'm ok thanks, hope you are. I so do, always will have the great memories, and that is just life isn't it? I have had 3 cats in 25 years, loved them all to bits but the last one was that bit special due to her reliance on me. I still feel sad for not seeing her but it is a bit selfish really isn't it? She is in a good place as she was in life. Thanks.

Thankfully she’s ok now. The vet in Derby put her on antibiotics for another week but said to bring her in after 7 days to possibly remove the nail. When we saw her she said it looked a lot better and wanted her to come off the antibiotics. I begged her for more as the vet in Berwick had said he wanted her on them for several week. So, I paid for the antibiotics but planned to only give them to her if it got bad again. Anyway, returning to Northumberland I dremelled her nail one night and it bled profusely so I restarted the antibiotics and took her back to the first vet who was annoyed that the second vet had advised not to continue with them. A few more weeks of antibiotics and he said she looked ok and the nail is now growing normally ( phew). I think it must have been a combination of trauma ( someone else had walked her the day before it happened) and walking in mud. I always ask for needle aspirations now after my last dog had a lump removed from her head, was x rayed, had a massive scar on her head and it turned out to be a cyst. She was totally brutalised.Had the vet done a needle aspiration she wouldn’t have been put through all of that. I was so worried that Winnie had a melanoma, especially as she’s black and black dogs are more prone to them. I hope your dog is ok and that it hasn’t spread.
That must have been so worrying Moehat. Glad your pet is ok. One of my cats was glance blowed by a car years ago, bone sticking out of leg. Vet was brilliant, said he could lose the leg but they mended it, wrapped a bandage around his body with leg up to stomach for a few weeks. That cat was only home a day and was going upstairs on 3 legs, just unreal. They are so tough and adaptive are animals.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for your support.Last Saturday I was a basket case but we all sat down as a family and had a bit of craic which was a big help.I knew that a positive mental attitude was vitally important -the brain can play tricks on you.By Wednesday I was concentrating on how proud I was of the life we gave Lucky and a million happy memories.Gone but not forgotten.
Thanks everyone.
They never ever get forgotten Luke. First cat I got was a cat I rescued from a car park when I was on my way to buy my Racing Post daily in 1999. It used to sit under a car every day I saw it, I think it had an older owner who died according to neighbours, and it just got abandoned. We moved that year and I went out one night and picked it up, it always ran to me, I took it home with the thought that if it didn't want to stay it would get distressed. It didn't and settled with us. We had two years out of that beauty, total house cat, just wanted a safe place. Broke my heart when we lost her, but then had two more cats afterwards, both were sort of strays, in the next 20 years. You never know what is round the corner really with pets and how we get to find them. Cats find people that is for sure.

I know several tripod dogs and a tripod cat. It’s amazing how they adapt. I’ve seen tripod dogs running in the beach and it’s only when they stop that you notice the missing leg; the only slight problem with dogs being that they’re more comfortable moving fast than walking. I stopped having cats because I lost so many on the road. Tried having house cats but some of them hated the lack of freedom even though we built a pen in the back garden with branches to climb on. I look on my whippet as a cat substitute as she’s a complete couch potato. The absolute worst thing with any pet imo is if they go missing and you don’t know what’s happened to them. My daughter’s pony went missing one time and it was a nightmare for half a day until we found her in a hay barn where she’d wedged herself behind a door. And two of my cats just disappeared. One we found years later (he’d gone to live with someone else) but we never found out what happened to the other one.

Back