Past vs Present

Who would Ruby Walsh ride and where would Kauto finish?

• Total voters

betsmate

At the Start
Ok a purely theoretical scenario. Instead of running him in the Betfair Chase tomorrow, Paul Nicholls has decided to hold Kauto Star back for the Tingle Creek. In that race he will face three mythical rivals:

Moscow Flyer 2004
Azertyuiop 2004
Well Chief 2004

Two votes only in the poll please:

Discuss.

Quotes from ruby Walsh on kauto star

“ he’s the best horse I’ve road in my generation”

Thomo “he that good?”

Ruby Walsh “his different league!”

That just makes me think why would he wanna pick any other horse?

It came after the King George yet he has riden Azertyuiop Denman etc and still said this, Kautos Rubys favorite horse and i doubt he is even going to turn his back on him in this years gold cup and that means turning down the chance to go on the defending champion so he must hold kauto in high regard. But lets not get in a Kauto v Denman debate

Last edited:
I said it at the time. Kauto Star is not at his best over two-miles but Nicholls was using his stable star to mop up the top prizes in a weak division. He is that good.

Coming into that Tingle Creek Azertyuiop was reigning Champion Chaser and looking for a four-timer. I'd lay you that 1.01 Gareth.

2006 was very impressive. No doubt. VPU only has scalps of Dempsey and Hoo La Baloo over 2 miles since, while Oneway and Central House never won again.

It's very good form. It's not Moscow/Az form for me though.

the funny thing is people do the past v present arkle v denman kauto v moscow etc

We never know what would have happened,so i dunno why you even started this debate in the first place :p

Coming into that Tingle Creek Azertyuiop was reigning Champion Chaser and looking for a four-timer. I'd lay you that 1.01 Gareth.

And he went 1 from 4 for the rest of his career. Kauto beat the subsequent champion chaser* with the comment "cruised clear" which sums it up nicely. You reckon Azerty ever made Ruby feel quite like that, or like he did in his King Georges or his first Betfair Chase?

*VPU is no Azerty but he's still as solid a ~2m horse as you could want as a benchmark.

And he went 1 from 4 for the rest of his career. Kauto beat the subsequent champion chaser* with the comment "cruised clear" which sums it up nicely. You reckon Azerty ever made Ruby feel quite like that, or like he did in his King Georges or his first Betfair Chase?

*VPU is no Azerty but he's still as solid a ~2m horse as you could want as a benchmark.

I think in his Arkle and in his prep race for the Tingle Creek of top weight he probably did.

Azertyuiop had a rating of 179 on RPR...which for a 2 miler (given the general preference in terms of ratings for stayers) was a exceptional.

Last edited:
I don't know what will happen in the racing tomorrow FPTP, but it won't stop me having a bet, or discussing it.

For the record, Ruby takes the ride on Azertyuiop, and gets another opportunity to watch Geraghty's backside all the way from the Pond Fence to the line.

Last edited:
Back