Paul Carberry

I'm struggling to justify how anyone with a serious responsibility, i.e. riding a half tonne of flesh, can be forgiven for being over the limit. I've heard a lot of people outside this forum say "aghh sure haven't we all gone into work hungover". The answer is yes but all I had to do was sit in front of a computer. If I was a doctor, nurse, pilot, bus driver etc where literally you have people's lives in your hands I think it's difficult to justify being over the limit, no matter how low that limit is. It impairs judgement, even by the smallest amount. A jockey has a responsibility not only to his owner and trainer but to the other jocks and horses around him. If he makes a mistake as a result of being over the limit, it could end up in serious consequences for others including death. That's just an uinacceptable risk.

Actually - and I'm not being facetious here - many people ride a lot better when slightly under the influence! When a rider is relaxed (as you tend to be on the morning after a heavy one) it relaxes the horse as well. Betcha didn't think of it that way!!

Back tommorrow with four rides at Naas.

I'd imagine there wern't many happier people at the sight of the snow and ice than Carberry - a real stroke of luck.

Indeed, although he's probably getting a few weeks of pent up anger now from punters who backed Muirhead!!

Why does EVERY horse need to be ridden like that. Not suggesting that Muirhead would have definitely won with a more aggressive ride but ever horse ridden out the back regardless or pace does not make sense.

Don't really see the issue. They went a very generous pace for virtually all of the last circuit, which would have suited Muirhead down to the ground. He was on terms with the leaders two out, but for whatever reason didn't go past.

If there was no pace on I would be inclined to agree but that wasn't the case here. Only criticism perhaps that he waited too long until he went for Muirhead. Riding to instructions anyway given that Wild Passion was in the race to ensure a decent gallop.

Who buys his horses for him tracks? It is uncanny how much in the same mould they all are - strong travellers, great jumpers but far from the strongest finishers.

Who buys his horses for him tracks? It is uncanny how much in the same mould they all are - strong travellers, great jumpers but far from the strongest finishers.

He scopes out and buys a lot of them himself. During the boom times he bought a fair few on spec which I doubt he does much of anymore.

Works in partnership with Joe Sloan as well who scopes and buys a fair few (from the pt-to-pt field) for Meade, as well as sending him his own horses.

Heard all sorts of theories as to the reason for it, but hard to get a grip on the exact reason.

Anyone read his book? I saw an exert in a RP a few weeks back which looked entertaining (naturally it was Harchibald related)

I brought it with me on hols. My mate speed read it. Carberry is one of his heroes. Told me afterwards he was sorry he read it now. Says Carberry is a twat. I've just gone by the Bobbyjo National win and he is coming across as a complete and utter eejit. Hanging out of car windows shooting at bagders and killing cats instead. Drink driving from Dublin with Woods and Williamson. Riding a horse into a pub. Some crazy crazy stuff. From what I've read so far, I wouldn't give this book to any young lad to read. His behaviour is worse than even I thought. He freely admits drinking a bottle of champagne before going to the races, and that was after a night on the rip.

Jockeys can't be too disgusted when - as per Lingfield last meeting - they're breathalyzed before racing. With Maguire mostly setting in train the farrago over the whip, it's the crass brashness of someone writing that sort of stuff that perks up the officials' ears no end. That's really all we need now - some headline like "Drunk jockey causes horse's death" and you may as well tap racing on the head. We won't need animal rightists to see us to the door - we seem to be quite capable of killing the thing we love ourselves.

Shooting at badgers out of a (presumably moving) car window? What a dumb fecker. I thought that sort of behaviour was confined to the more moronic variety of American redneck. I don't care how many times he falls off now - preferably into any available water jumps. Twazzock.

I had the book in my hands today and was about to buy it but I realised the last racing book I read was Timmy Murphys and I found that hard going.
APs book written by Brought Scott was the second choice-I eneded up renting a DVD instead.

Comes from good stock, has plenty of balls and is a more natural horseman than most. The best jockeys don't always make the best trainers but I have a feeling that he could make a good trainer if his head is kept screwed on

I could see him doing a good job with a promising horse but would he have the patience to wait for one to come along.

Back