Paul Carberry

he is a mad man, but the best jump jockey I have seen.

Seriously good jockey - never overly hard on a horse. One of my all time favourites! He has had a colourful past - from some of the commentary on here it is recommended you never live a life and be in bed before 9 every night before you can be considered a serious sportsman. He is flawed and has achieved a huge amount despite these flaws. This makes him a better man in my eyes. Cannot wait to read the book.

McCarthys in Fethard-I love the photograph they have on the wall of s
Shay Barry parting company with Moondigua in the National.

I'm all for horses in pubs - Bill Turner regularly rode his pet zebra down to his before giving it away - it's shooting cats that's mean-minded. He may have intended to pot-shot a badger, but that's still rubbish because he could've just gut-shot it or left it paralyzed, which is also mean and unsporting. Anyone who finds shooting small animals like cats great craic is certainly a 'character'.

from some of the commentary on here it is recommended you never live a life and be in bed before 9 every night before you can be considered a serious sportsman. He is flawed and has achieved a huge amount despite these flaws. This makes him a better man in my eyes.

You are having a larf, aren't you? :confused:

Interestingly, he calls a lot of people his "good friend". Likes Williamson, AP, Hughes etc etc but not Ruby!!

"Horse of a different Colour" one for all us dreamers out there :)

Hansen in the BC Juvenile is a similar type of story - the mare had been written off after not producing the goods one too many a time. She was given away for free as a hack. When Hansen came on the scene he had to cough up $10k and a watch to get her back!

Plot for all Jump Jockey bios;

Chapter 1; I wasn't very good at school.
Chapter 2; I used to cycle 5 miles there and back to ride out on weekends
Chapter 3; I won my first pony race
Chapter 4; I started riding out regularly
Chapter 5; My first ride
Chapter 6; My first winner
Chapters 8-13; A potted history of my winners and injuries
Chapter 14; Epilogue
Chapter 15; Index

They are universally shite, except for the bits when they mention winners you backed. Then they're good. But generally they're shite.

Are any worth buying? I'm wondering about El Tone's for a friend, but very few sporting bios are interesting, mainly because the people concerned live such narrowly-confined lives, utterly absorbed in one endeavour and mixing only with like people.

Plot for all Jump Jockey bios;

Chapter 1; I wasn't very good at school.
Chapter 2; I used to cycle 5 miles there and back to ride out on weekends
Chapter 3; I won my first pony race
Chapter 4; I started riding out regularly
Chapter 5; My first ride
Chapter 6; My first winner
Chapters 8-13; A potted history of my winners and injuries
Chapter 14; Epilogue
Chapter 15; Index

They are universally shite, except for the bits when they mention winners you backed. Then they're good. But generally they're shite.

Very good Grasshopper

Have you read the Moscow Flyer book by Donn McClean? I found that a nice read compared to a lot of the dross out there

Back