Peddlers Cross

I'm fairly certain that average hurdle rating for Arkle winners is about 150 as compared to 130 or so for Sun Alliance winners. I'd doubt too many of the Arkle winners got their rating over 3m (My Way De Solzen).

Moscow Flyer achieved an RPR of 170 over hurdles. He was a top class hurdler. Pick any number of races to prove it. Beating Stage Affair as a novice. Hacking up in the Punchestown Champion Novice Hurdle. Second in the Hatton's Grace. Winnning the big Leopardstown 2m hurdle. Winning the Punchestown Champion Hurdle.

I'm pretty sure he was at the head of the market for the Supreme as a novice hurdler, but didn't run (possibly withdrawn at the start?).

Grey, the 151 is - I think - the mark the BHA handicapper gave him, rather than the Irish one. Regardless, it doesn't do him any justice, and the RPR mark is a closer reflection of his merit as a hurdler (though a shade on the high side).

How many top drawer chasers (championship winners) have spent two seasons over hurdles?

In the seventies, Bula and Night Nurse both placed in the Gold Cup after having won Champion Hurdles, while Lanzarote who won two Christmas Hurdles was one of the favourites for the Gold Cup when suffering a fatal fall. The decresed number of prominent seasoned hurdlers going chasing could be due to a greater number of recent top hurdlers having a flat pedigree.

I'm pretty sure he was at the head of the market for the Supreme as a novice hurdler, but didn't run (possibly withdrawn at the start?).

Grey, the 151 is - I think - the mark the BHA handicapper gave him, rather than the Irish one. Regardless, it doesn't do him any justice, and the RPR mark is a closer reflection of his merit as a hurdler (though a shade on the high side).

Moscow Flyer was ruled out of the festival on the 1st of February 2000.

McCain says:

Wednesday is going to be a big day for the stable with Peddlers Cross due to make his chasing debut at Bangor - he is in at Exeter as well, but that is just in case the Bangor ground were to come up very fast.

I am looking forward to it as much as you can look forward to a horse making its chasing debut - particularly one of his ability - and he is in grand form at home, has schooled well and is just the consummate professional.

We know he is top class and hopefully he will get the job done and we can then start worrying about what comes next.

Last edited:
He did what he had to do. This should be a sticky and save me scrolling down every time I want to post about the machine - which will be more than likely everyday between now and the Arkle!!:p

I was impressed with him today, jumped very well for his first time over fences in public. Quickly over them and not a single mistake. His jumping reminded me a little of Master Minded, although he obviously wasn't going at that sort of pace today.

Moscow Flyer was second favourite for the Champion Hurdle which was abandoned due to F&M, and was given a Timeform rating of 168 that season. Peddlers Cross also got a rating of 168 from Timeform last season. It's possible not be an outstanding champion, while stilll being top class, and that's true of both horses over hurdles. Peddlers Cross is clearly in the emrbyonic stage of a potentially stellar career as a chaser.

Regarding Night Nurse, his rating of 182 over hurdles hasn't been equalled, but a rating of 175 over fences isn't too shappy, either, and saw him shade Bula in both categories.

Back