Peddlers Cross

It's good news he's strengthened up, he was sometimes weak in a finish, but why won't we see him on summer ground?QUOTE]

Apparently he's bred to be a chaser, so they won't risk him on faster ground over fences just yet.

Apparently starting off at Bangor on Nov 9th

Donald McCain Blog

"I am looking forward to Bangor-on-Dee’s first proper (i.e. Winter) meeting on 9th November. It is always a good day and we should have plenty of runners, including a potentially fairly decent novice chaser (you have just one guess!), all things being well."

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Peddler's Cross won't be up to much as a chaser - his hurdling technique wouldn't inspire confidence to me.

Before some trouble seeking person comes on to say as much - OTB, I'm not trying to wind you up, more to say I think he could be back over hurdles this season.

I think the opposite about Al Ferof.

Last edited:
Hope they have some oxygen tanks if it's Peddlers Cross. The poor beast has nothing left.

I'm pretty sure Peddler's Cross won't be up to much as a chaser - his hurdling technique wouldn't inspire confidence to me.

Before some sad man comes on to say as much - OTB, I'm not trying to wind you up, more to say I think he could be back over hurdles this season.

I think the opposite about Al Ferof.

It will be interesting to see - I think he is a real athlete and could be an electric jumper - his hurdling became very proficient with practice and rumour has it he has schooled very very well. In saying that I may be blinded by the esteem in which I hold this horse.....

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Peddler's Cross won't be up to much as a chaser - his hurdling technique wouldn't inspire confidence to me.....

....I think the opposite about Al Ferof.

I'm not sure that's really enough evidence to be writing him off, Hamm.

Peddlars Cross had a perfectly sound hurdling technique, and his physique is surely of more import when it comes to steeplechasing - he is a proper specimen, and is sure to be well schooled into the bargain. Throw in the fact that top-class 2m hurdlers generally do really well in the Arkle, and there are many more positives than negatives.

To be fair, Al Ferof is in a similar kind of mould, but Peddlars is a particularly class act, and I think he should prove hard to beat in novices chases.

Not sure i buy the argument over Peddlers not making it as a chaser owing to his hurdling technique. Its a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Peddlers won his point to point so i'm not to worried about him.

Throw in the fact that top-class 2m hurdlers generally do really well in the Arkle, and there are many more positives than negatives.

Azertyuiop and Szing Europe aside (and it was obvious he was always going to be better over fences) I'm struggling to think of many to be honest.

How many top drawer chasers (championship winners) have spent two seasons over hurdles? Off the top of my head I can think of Dawn Run did Moscow Flyer spend two seasons over flights? No access to the Internet where I am bar the iPhone which is too slow.

I know he won a couple of Grade 1's, but I don't think he was top class over hurdles.

One of only two horses this side of the Irish Sea to shake up the mighty Istabraq in his pomp. The other being Limestone Lad. That is top class form...take a seat young man!:)

Moscow Flyer's official hurdle rating was 151. Azerty's, at its peak, was 155, but was back down to 150 by the time he went chasing.

Given the difference in scales between Irish and UK hurdle ratings there was very little between the pair but the Flyer was probably better, given that he was a Grade 1 winner. Both were far better, of course, as chasers.

probably not euro but mf was still a fairly good grp 1 hurdler, high rated hurdlers do have a good record in the arkle as do placed horses in the supreme which brings sprinter sacre into the equation for the arkle.
against peddlers and cue card is the record of cheltenham bumper and neptune hurdle winners in the arkle

peddlers cross will do better than cue card but i cant see him as the best 2m novice chaser he needs further to be at his best good enough to be placed in an arkle but liable to find at least one that will out jump and out speed him and at present i would say the most likely winner is sprinter sacre

Moscow Flyer achieved an RPR of 170 over hurdles. He was a top class hurdler. Pick any number of races to prove it. Beating Stage Affair as a novice. Hacking up in the Punchestown Champion Novice Hurdle. Second in the Hatton's Grace. Winnning the big Leopardstown 2m hurdle. Winning the Punchestown Champion Hurdle.

Back