Pierse Hurdle

A very quick look and Indian Pace is interesting.

What happened to Convincing last time out at Galway? The ATR replay is useless.

I like shazand but would question Indian Paces attitude, looks like a horse that has the ability but maybe not the heart.

Bahrain Storm is in good form, has a nice weight and knows how to stick his head in front.

I have had a few quid on him over Christmas, and he will do for me.

Do the Trick is the obvious danger; Princelet would be very interesting if he made the trip over.

I'm a big fan of Gordon Elliot, a somewhat straighter version of Tony Martin, perhaps(?). Obviously the money is already down and the value gone, but I'd still keep this one on my side for the race.

From sporting Life website...

Gordon Elliott believes there is a big handicap to be won with Roman Villa this season as he prepares him for the Pierse Hurdle at Leopardstown on January 13.

The six-year-old chased home subsequent Ladbroke hurdle winner Jack The Giant at Cheltenham last month and is reportedly in fine fettle ahead of the valuable contest.

Elliott said: "It was good to see Jack The Giant win The Ladbroke as we gave him 2lb at Cheltenham.

"He has run on heavy ground before and he was only beaten three and a half lengths but it is on the inside track at Leopardstown so I don't think it will be that bad.

"If it was soft it would be OK, but if it was heavy I might have to think about not running him. If it stays the way it is we'll be OK.

"I would think that the race would be run to suit - a fast gallop so he can come off a strong pace - and Leopardstown is not as stiff as Cheltenham.

"He has cantered up to the final furlong twice there (Cheltenham) this season and not quite got home.

"He only has 10st 5lb to carry, he'll never have a weight like that again in his life so we'll be hoping for a big run.

"He's improving and I think he'll run a big race if the conditions are right - he won't be far away.

"The lads who have ridden him say he will jump fences but he is only small.

"There's a big handicap hurdle in him this year and Jason Maguire will ride him in the Pierse."

Roman Villa is 8-1 with Paddy Power for the Pierse Hurdle.

Was going to say Roman Villa...

One who will be a big price that ran a bit better than his finishing position the last day was Island Life of Noel Meade's - will see if he gets into the race first though.

Looks very open --- ground to be decent--fast and furious round inside track.
Spoonplayer expected to run a big race and boost De Bromhead's profile.
Any other ideas from those who live nearby??

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How many times has the Spoonplayer tried to win a handicap and failed? Would be shocking renewal if he won the race

Shazand
Barker
Roman Villa
O'Hana

I like Barker a lot for this. He fits the bill perfectly. The other two to consider for me are Shazand and Roman Villa, although the latter is more likely to place than win I would say.

There was torrential rain for three or four hours yesterday in Dublin. If you are backing something ground dependant keep an eye on the going. Fair amount of wind and heavy showers predicted so it is hard enough to guess how it will eventually turn out.

A wide open contest as per usual in the Pierce..Total Victory(not a certain runner I know)for me..Wasn't too far away at Leopardstown the last day, a little bit of value maybe at around the 16-1 mark..

Lenrey was 8/1 co-fav off 120 last year but disappointed on the day. I'm interested that Moore has kept this one pretty much under wraps for a year and gets in 3lbs lower.

Have you got any figures that would suggest he'd be good enough off 115 Mo? I'd considered him too but even after trying hard to find something I couldn't have him. Too many negative formlines and stuffed out of sight in this last year. 5lb's would have had him closer in the same race but still beaten a comfortably. I also get the feeling he is a better horse when fresh.

Mind you after Cheltenham Paddy Power a couple of years ago I'm prepared to listen!!!!

You're too kind, Maruco.

I have to admit I'm swayed as much by Moore's record in the race as much as anything else. I was on Mansony a couple of years ago when he was unlucky, and look how good the horse has become since, albeit over fences. I just can't help thinking he's been hiding the horse's light under a bushel for at least a year and a half. The fact he's persevered with the horse for this race suggests to me he thinks he's had it mind since last year.

I hope to get a closer look at the race before Saturday (do the final decs come out on Friday?) but I'd urge caution about approaching this race in the usual manner. The last few runnings have shown that the winners have been a great deal further ahead of their official Irish ratings even after allowing for the difference between those that have been rated on their UK form.

There have also been a few fairly recent instances of second-season hurdlers and novices taking advantage of ridiculously - as it's turned out - low marks.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 1 2008, 04:40 PM
I was really impressed with Shazand last time last Leopardstown.
i remember on the cheltneham preview evenings last year, Shazand was being touted as a fred winter horse for 2007. one of the panelists said it was a proper coup, and had been laid out all season. i must admit that put me straight off, as i dont think it would have been revealed to the press if it was!

This is a hot renewal of the Pierse in my opinion. A lot of progressive profiles - and the presence of Alexander Taipan means that they are reasonably weighted. Jockey bookings will be interesting as well.

Back