Point to points

I might have a bash at all of those, Stamperino, if I'm not down for work at the tracks. That's why I couldn't get to them in past years - we always seemed to have a clashing race meeting! Nice time at the birthday lunch, which was at Hove Dogs - friends had their bitch ATOMIC SMUDGE running for the first time in a year, coming back from injury. SHE WON! Steadily wore away at the front of the pack down the back straight, kept wide on final turn and honked past them up the straight. Such a cheerful girl, too - tail waving away before and after, looked really pleased to be back. Her owner, Jill, arrived with left arm in a sling - her mare jinked hard as she was leading her out of her field and, instead of letting go, she tried to hold her, and the result was a broken shoulder!

Last edited:
Coka was 2nd in the mares maiden, but the winner was backed from 4/1 to 5/4! Yorkie rode at least one winner though, on the headcase Ringa Bay in the restricted.

Shadz - as I know bugger-all about any betting, let alone pointing: can you bet on ptp's off-course, as in, by phone, etc.? Never really thought about it as a betting medium, but I suppose it is, of course.

I was once forced to open a betting shop on Easter Sunday (circa 1999) to bet solely on a couple of PtP meetings which were covered on the Racing Channel as it was. I was told to accept £50 max stakes. My only customers were those collecting/placing bets on the Irish lottery. That was the extent of Ladbrokes involvement in the PtP scene I believe.

Wish they'd kept showing them Rory - I think the Welsh Channel (S4C) showed a few Welsh P2P's a few years ago but that was discontinued.

Southwestern beat the great Gungadu at Buckfastleigh in the Mens Open today whilst in the North Another Jewel was a beaten odds-on favourite.

Nick Pearce won the opener at Godstone on the previously mentioned Louisthenineteenth whilst Comealong Cornwall also won at 5/1.

A handful of Stan James shops opened on a Sunday c.2000 and showed pointing from The Racing Channel as well. A few bets were struck - mainly from those who'd bet on two flies crawling up a wall - and settling them was always a nightmare as you had to wait for the SP to be displayed on TRC which wasn't always fast!

I'd love to see ptp's on tv, but then I'd also like to see trotting being encouraged. I know the argument against that in the UK is that it's managed by 'undesirables' - one Clerk I mentioned it to as a spectacle said he wouldn't want it, as "I'd like to have a course left by the time they went" - meaning anything not set 10 feet into the ground would disappear! Funny how the use of the horse casts a wide net over society, but doesn't necessarily unite us all!

They do stage them at Musselburgh and York racecourses Kri but the other main trotting tracks in the UK are at Corbiewood (Scotland IIRC) and at Tir Prince, Colwyn Bay (North Wales).

The British Harness Racing Club - http://www.bhrc.org.uk will have more details though I don't think they stretch South of South Wales from my last visit to the site.

Let me know if you're attending any South East P2P's Kri - will be at all the Sunday ones bar Hackwood Park on the 27th March as we're running elsewhere that day (fingers crossed).

Shadz! No! Trotting is lovely! But each to their own, or shack 'n' songoo as the French say...

Stampy: I'll definitely let you know if I can make any - be good to see you there, and best o'luck for the 27th.

Last edited:
Trotting really is bent as, so you need to be in the know to make any money out of betting on it, everyone takes their turn to win lol. Saying that im looking forward to this years season, my local track is within walking distance and has 6 meetings and Appleby aswell

Yes, unfortunately that's all I ever hear about trotters, LE. I personally wouldn't care because I just enjoy seeing them move, and don't know who's who in the game anyway. I just think they're kinda fun.

Well Martin and Krizon it looks 99% I'm coming to the Godstone point to point in the morning - I'll be easy to recognise as I'll be the one who looks like he hasn't got a clue. I'll probably be dressed in black wearing brown rimmed glasses and with my 12yo daughter who has striking blond hair. I have a silver vauxhall corsa estate - but I wont be carrying a box of milk tray as I'm on a diet.

I've been to Godstone Farm on a couple of occasions so just need instructions on what I do when I get there - Plus times it starts and finishes.

Regards,

David.

Well Martin and Krizon it looks 99% I'm coming to the Godstone point to point in the morning - I'll be easy to recognise as I'll be the one who looks like he hasn't got a clue. I'll probably be dressed in black wearing brown rimmed glasses and with my 12yo daughter who has striking blond hair. I have a silver vauxhall corsa estate - but I wont be carrying a box of milk tray as I'm on a diet.

I've been to Godstone Farm on a couple of occasions so just need instructions on what I do when I get there - Plus times it starts and finishes.

Regards,

David.

The raspberry cords man... don't forget the raspberry cords!!:D

Forgot about start times - the pointing starts at 1pm and you just drive up, pay the entry fee and park up and wander round. Bar that it's just like a regular rules meeting but the books bet to 4% a runner.

Irish Stamp 12/1 winner by default

Not long back from the point to point and great meeting Martin, who had a 12/1 winner by default. First he picks a 4/1 shot but says he's waiting for 5/1 so we go to the paddock for 10 mins when we come back it's 7/4 (finished 2nd) so he decides that the 5/2 the original fav looks good - goes to put on his bet and they wipe the board, it goes 7/4, 6/4 original 4/1 pick goes back out to 9/4, so he decides as it was raining the only other one he mentioned was an out an out stayer and it's 12/1 so backs that instead straight away it comes into 9/1 then 8/1. 20L back in 4th jumping the 3rd last storms home to get up on the line. Great stuff - his only other bet is still running.

Nice day out - Cheers Martin.

I wussed out because I thought it might be raining, and I may have to get a bit soggy tomorrow at Plumpton anyway, so sorry to miss you both. Good show by Martin - quietly amassing his second million by now, I reckon!

That would make sense I'm sure - he's definitely got his head screwed on. I did see his finest moment as I'm sure you'd agree, when winning a crap handicap chase at Lingfield on Star Glow. :p

I saw old Star Glow last week - he's looking grand, bless him.

Also, after riding four winners this weekend Phil's now right up there in the championship. He was lying in fourth place (along with about 4 others) on 8 winners to Will Biddick's 11 winners so he's got to be lying at least second now at least, I don't know how Biddick's done this weekend.

Great to meet Swedish Chef and a great day out, two bets and one winner with the other a running-on fourth wasn't too bad.

Teemed with rain for part of the afternoon but was a brilliant meeting just a shame there weren't more runners.

As usual Phil York had a few winners though Supa Tramp was possibly a touch lucky as Scholar George was upsides under Nick Pearce when unseating at the last (possibly due to the use of flash photography at the fence).

Dusherra looks a mare to keep on the right side of judged on her romp in the Restricted whilst Flowersoftherarest came from a mile back under a brilliant ride from Brendan Powell's son.

Back