Poor Liz

I love Union bashers who are quite happy to take any benefits that the Unions have achieved without paying their dues.
When I started work I got no holidays until I had worked 12 months and then it only accrued by 1 day per month to a maximum of 5 days, which I had to take when I was told to. Our working week was 44 hours for which I was paid the princely sum of £3-15/6d, £1-10s went on bus fares and £1-10s went to my mum.
Things have changed slightly, haven't they? Of course all the reforms were driven by the philanthropic instincts of our benevolent employers.

You certainly have a point about the advances made by trade unions. What progress would there have been without them?

Regarding the jubilee festivities, I think your queen has done a good job which deserves celebrating. Her visit to Ireland last year was a brave and serious contribution to better relations between our two countries. Had it been a prime minister rather than the Queen who went to the Garden of Remembrance it wouldn't have been as significant. She has acquired a weight of respect that modern politicians with their constant attention to opinion polls cannot match.

It was paid for by private subscriptions and sponsorship. Only the security bill came out of the public purse.

We are the most depressingly money-obsessed, penny-grubbing nation. An opportunity for a national celebration marking an event which has happened only once before in the country's history and the moaners are out in force bleating about cost.

Exactly this!! There has been a great nationwide feel good factor which the country desperatly needs, ok the extra bank holiday may hae affected the banking and manufacture economy, but for thse in the tourist industry who are most generallly on a minimum wage and those most grateful for extra work it has been a major boost. Theres always a miserable moaner who wants to ruin it for everyone else.

extra day off work, jubilee street parties, flags, bunting, fairs, carnivals....need i go on? hve u been in your house for the last few weeks?obviously without the TV on so you havent seen various news reports from around the country, and the cheering crowds lining the streets has obviously passed you by.....

Im no royalist but couldnt bregrudge celebrating this remarkable woman

I was in Kensington today and had to step into Hyde Park to see the flypast. Nothing quite grabs me as much as seeing the Spitfires, Hurricane and Lancaster bomber

Would be no exaggeration to say the world would be a very different place without the Battle of Britain. One of the century's pivotal moments

The pilots went into that knowing that chances of survival after a a number of sorties were very slim

And is it really coincidence that the aircraft involved were amongst the most beautiful designs ever in aviation?

Thats something worth celebrating

My favourite thing about the moaning anti-royalist people is how they have all insisted on going to work rather than celebrating (becuase obviously they wont have any part of it not liking the monarchy and all...)

We have a Head of State that is not elected which goes against the basic tenets I hold. However if I look at the politicians elected in my lifetime it seems highly likely that during period any elected Head of State would be chosen by only a minority of the populace. They would have been opposed by roughly an equal number and the remainder couldn't give a s***.

I have no data but I am pretty sure that the majority of the people of this country are not opposed to the Queen.

The Queen is unique and I am forced to concede that she performs her role exceptionally well. Can you imagine Blair or Thatcher as Head of State!
Good on the old girl though I don't know if her successor will be as appreciated.
From one that used to attend and hold anti monarchy parties.

Last edited:

I was in Kensington today and had to step into Hyde Park to see the flypast. Nothing quite grabs me as much as seeing the Spitfires, Hurricane and Lancaster bomber

Would be no exaggeration to say the world would be a very different place without the Battle of Britain. One of the century's pivotal moments

The pilots went into that knowing that chances of survival after a a number of sorties were very slim

And is it really coincidence that the aircraft involved were amongst the most beautiful designs ever in aviation?

Shame a Concorde couldn't make it

I have always been close to heathrow and saw concorde daily. An amazing machine

During the last year of operation i was at the oval for the test match (as always) It was a sunny day and quiet period of play and then from the east she appeared and was beautiful trailing into heathrow

The crowd to a person spontaneously applauded. Can you really believe that? Most remarkable thing ive seen at a sporting event

She was a commercial disaster but was a work of art

I went on the English and French one.....even better on the inside even if I was a kid!!!!

Funny as...went on hols to Barbados a few years ago and they have one at Grantley Adams airport.....Concorde flew there too

Agree about the fly past (read the story of Mitchell who designed the Spitfire - amazing man) and the Concorde, real shame it has gone.
I was on hols in Barbados a few years ago and the approach to the airport ran parallel to the where the hotel looked out over the sea. There were a lot of repeat visitors there and on the Sunday night they were sitting in chairs lined up along the edge of the hotel waiting for Cocnorde to appear on its' approach. Fabulous sight to see it come in low over the water.

Agree about the fly past (read the story of Mitchell who designed the Spitfire - amazing man) and the Concorde, real shame it has gone.
I was on hols in Barbados a few years ago and the approach to the airport ran parallel to the where the hotel looked out over the sea. There were a lot of repeat visitors there and on the Sunday night they were sitting in chairs lined up along the edge of the hotel waiting for Cocnorde to appear on its' approach. Fabulous sight to see it come in low over the water.

Did you stay in Christchurch?

I've never seen a fly-past but would have loved to see that. It could happen without the need for us to have a monarchy, though...

My favourite thing about the moaning anti-royalist people is how they have all insisted on going to work rather than celebrating (becuase obviously they wont have any part of it not liking the monarchy and all...)
Work was closed.

If I'd been given the choice, I'd have preferred to do a day's work.

Last edited:
We have a Head of State that is not elected which goes against the basic tenets I hold. However if I look at the politicians elected in my lifetime it seems highly likely that during period any elected Head of State would be chosen by only a minority of the populace. They would have been opposed by roughly an equal number and the remainder couldn't give a s***.

I have no data but I am pretty sure that the majority of the people of this country are not opposed to the Queen.

The Queen is unique and I am forced to concede that she performs her role exceptionally well. Can you imagine Blair or Thatcher as Head of State!
Good on the old girl though I don't know if her successor will be as appreciated.
From one that used to attend and hold anti monarchy parties.
But on 7/4 Americans don't celebrate their head of state, they celebrate America and the celebrations beat anything I've seen in this country hands down. I reckon 90%+ of Americans do something to celebrate. I honestly don't know a single person* who celebrated the other day (although I suspect my sister did as she is very pro the royals, but I haven't summoned up the courage to ask her yet!)

*apart from those I know on these forums who have admitted to doing so

Last edited:
I make no excuse for being a Royalist, and I would be sure the whole event raised a good profit for the Uk ,in tourism if nothing else. The way it raised the morale of the people in London and across the country was tremendous. Standing near Lambeth bridge you could fell the love and respect the Monarchy is held in. What a gracious and talented lady she is. I think the whole event gave the anti royalists a good kick in the bollocks and showed them where the true hearts of the people are.

Agree with you Roddy 100% My mum and her friend spent the weekend in London, she said you hardly heard any english voices, lots of peple they chatted to had come to the UK especially for the Jubilee and where then heading from London elsewhere in the country. I hae studied T&T, although not at degree level I have read through a frieds dissertation which was based on the Royal Family and attracting incoming tourists and it is incredible how many people visit purely because of The Royal family. Im sure whateer they cost to the taxpayer they make it back x times over due to the jobs tourism creates

I make no excuse for being a Royalist, and I would be sure the whole event raised a good profit for the Uk ,in tourism if nothing else. The way it raised the morale of the people in London and across the country was tremendous. Standing near Lambeth bridge you could fell the love and respect the Monarchy is held in. What a gracious and talented lady she is. I think the whole event gave the anti royalists a good kick in the bollocks and showed them where the true hearts of the people are.

Perfectly put, Roddy

Now we can face up to the real current issues of the day such as the massacres going on in Syria.

Now we can face up to the real current issues of the day such as the massacres going on in Syria.

Can we only concentrate on one thing at once then?

Syria's a horror story, but I'm not sure what we can do about it, except to say that our hearts go out to the people.

i think the tourist attraction angle is bollocks frankly and london is packed with tourists regardless of the time of year. Its arguably the most dynamic and certainly most varied city in the world right now. It doesnt need royalty to bring people in anymore than New York or Paris does

Versailles has no visitors now does it?

The millenium wheel and Tate modern are far bigger "attractions" than the royal family. Its not as if you can actually visit royalty is it?

and buckingham palace is a monstrous ugly building which would be better served as a huge central hotel and thus contributing real revenue

If we were a republic tomorrow I would safely bet that there would not the slightest drop off in visitors. Londons profile and attraction way exceeds that of a bunch of german state scroungers

Last edited:
Syria's a horror story, but I'm not sure what we can do about it.
A millitary intervention is what we should be doing about it. I can't emphiasize enough how bad that situation is. I just find it all a bit strange how we've seemed to have normalised an atrocity on this scale. Giving our country a pat on the back and validating ourselves and hierachy in the monarchy while we stand and watch, because of the russians and chinese is just very sad, it really is.

Last edited:
Back