Potential classics winners in 2011

T

takinganap

Some fairly obvious selections in this horse racing betting article, but Morning Charm could be one to follow. Worth keeping an eye on her early season form, I'd say. What do others reckon?

Last edited:
Classic horses..

SEA MOON impressed me more in defeat on debut than in winning his maiden but there's still plenty of potential albeit a long and steep road to climb but as Workforce showed this year, there's no one like Sir Michael Stoute for getting a lightly-raced animal to climb the Classic ladder.

I'm probably in a minority of one but I have my doubts about FRANKEL. Yes, he did it well as a juvenile but he looked so much more physically developed than his rivals that I struggle to believe they won't catch up with him by the spring.

He could also be in the no-mans-land of not having the pace to win a Guineas or the stamina to win a Derby. Ten furlongs is his trip and there are plenty of opportunities, unfortunately not in the Classics here. He would be my idea of a French Derby winner.

It's never too early for this sort of discussion.

What I really like about the Flat - as opposed to the jumps - is that the horses are properly and openly campaigned so that we get to know all about them and their racing characteristics and they become like old friends. Frankel, for example, ran four times in little over two months and Hooray seven times in four months. Most jump horses would get the vapours if they were campaigned like that.

Bring it on.

The two year olds are the real highlight of the flat season. I'm looking forward to Galileo's list of Ballydoyles class of 2011. They had better be up to a bit more than this years bunch.

What I really like about the Flat - as opposed to the jumps - is that the horses are properly and openly campaigned so that we get to know all about them and their racing characteristics and they become like old friends. Frankel, for example, ran four times in little over two months and Hooray seven times in four months. Most jump horses would get the vapours if they were campaigned like that.

Hooray had seven runs because her 2yo campaign is her career.

Any views on Hooray for the Guineas? She's not the free-goer she was and was strong at the finish in the Chevely Park on soft ground. That is a good trial, she has the best form and is as big at 16's. Prescott little history in classics but he's a damn fine trainer as got Confidential Lady ready enough to finish 2nd to Speciosa.

SEA MOON impressed me more in defeat on debut than in winning his maiden but there's still plenty of potential albeit a long and steep road to climb but as Workforce showed this year, there's no one like Sir Michael Stoute for getting a lightly-raced animal to climb the Classic ladder.

I'm probably in a minority of one but I have my doubts about FRANKEL. Yes, he did it well as a juvenile but he looked so much more physically developed than his rivals that I struggle to believe they won't catch up with him by the spring.

He could also be in the no-mans-land of not having the pace to win a Guineas or the stamina to win a Derby. Ten furlongs is his trip and there are plenty of opportunities, unfortunately not in the Classics here. He would be my idea of a French Derby winner.

Very well-put re Frankel; couldn't agree more,

It's never too early for this sort of discussion.

Bring it on.

Good post as well ... a real bugbear of mine.

The two year olds are the real highlight of the flat season. I'm looking forward to Galileo's list of Ballydoyles class of 2011. They had better be up to a bit more than this years bunch.
I'm looking forward to winding Galileo up with sentences like your last! :D

Two races for a 3m chaser is the equivalent of half a dozen outings for a miler. I can't believe this is even an argument, compare the effort a Denman puts in to something like Canford Cliffs.

No he is entered at Epsom.

Take your word lads - not on At The Races entry list which was my point of reference so maybe they missed his entry at second or third stage. Doesn't take from the fact he is going to sluice up. Was at Navan for his debut, he took his time but eventually when the penny dropped he settled it fairly quickly - fine tall athletic type - carries his head a little high but I have just about come to accept this as being almost normal for an AP O'B charge.

Barocci - Elie Lellouche colt who I saw finishing second in a Maiden at Saint-Cloud in October, think he's the first foal of Deep Impact to race in Europe and he's the first foal of listed winner and group placed Bastet. He made some pretty eyecatching progress to run an Aga Khan owned colt to 2 lengths, the third, sixth and tenth have all scored since.

Probably not one for English classics but a 3yo to keep an eye on in 2011.

Back