Punchestown Day 1

Thanks guys - glad he's proven that he's a genuine top class performer on any ground providing they stick with the right jockey. Did think DD was a bit off asserting that he was regarded as the best 2m Chaser in Ireland before today though particularly given that Big Zeb won the big one at Cheltenham.

Kauto - watch the ride on Moskova in the same race last year, far worse than the Zaarito one.

Just back from the track - I thought Sizing Europe ran and looked like he did at Leopardstown when he won at Christmas. None of the swagger of Cheltenham or his prior entries. DJ is spot on - type of horse that needs a light campaign and kept fresh. In saying that Golden Silver was pretty impressive - really in good form now.

Casey should be shot for putting Barker on the floor - if you can see the head on the horse is well and truely beat but for some reason they jockey asks him for a jump similar to one you would ask of your horse if you were neck and neck at the last. Thankfully the horse got up alright - do not know what the jockey was thinking.

Zaarito was going to kill himself if they jockey asked him for everything - he was jumping really poorly and pulling very hard. Horse has definitely had enough for the season.

Crowd was 2000 down which is not too back considering the lack of British visitors.

Jasus Gal.....great minds think alike. Impressed by the progress of Golden Silver but think a few were under par. They must make more use of FPTP next season when he gets his ground. Out on his own, the only place for him. SE ran well. Zaarito's had a hard season for such a light framed horse so deserves a break now.

No surprise to hear that chronic.

That was a decent Goffs Landrover Bumper too - the second horse Double Double got no assistance from his jockey whatsoever and looks a decent prospect.

Kempes did it well too but The Midnight Club is the one that looks like big things await for him next year. He has a Grand National in him if ever a horse does.

I was there today and enjoyed the sport. The crowd did seem to be down on last year. I spoke with a few British visitors who had flights cancelled and changed their plans to get the boat.

I backed Double Double and he did get an 'interesting' ride from his owner. Out the back, raced up through the field, ran wide, looked like he was going to jump the last 2 fences and still came 2nd. The winner did it well but I'm sure he should have been alot closer.

General Miller was under pressure from a long way out. You'd think the hard race at Aintree played a part but Blackstairmountain had a slog at Fairyhouse too. I wonder how Dunguib would have got on in that?

Plenty of money lost on Twist Magic. It didn't look great when he skipped the parade and he was having none of it. Poor old Pady always seems to find one to beat him. Pity it wasn't Sizing Europe but fair play to Mullins and Golden Silver. Great day for Mullins again and despite last years mega haul, I didn't back any of them today. I feared the worst for Barker so nice to see him get up.

Overall, a great day out and I would recommend it to anyone who can get along later in the week.

Back