Punchestown Day 1

Agree with you Roddy - had a word from my man in Wales for the Curtis horse last night, half brother to Quiscover Fontaine and Kim Fontaine amongst others. Top amateur booked and I think her only other Irish runner thus far was The Jigsaw Man who finished runner-up to Loosen My Load in a good Galway bumper last summer.

I think Baron D'El should be about one eighth or one tenth of his current price of 100/1. Today's ground should allow him to give his best while others might not be at their peak, and I think he has a much better chance of making the frame than his current price suggests.

2's about General Miller in the novice hurdle is more than fair on form grounds. Obviously the Aintree race being less than two weeks ago has to be a concern, but that is factored into the price at 2's imo. Similar doubts must exist about Blackstairmountain after his race at Fairyhouse, whilst I reckon both Flat Out and Loosen My Load need a stiffer test to be seen to best effect. I'm interested in both both Sweeps Hill and Some Slam at e/w prices. The latter's bumper effort in this race last year is rock solid form (probably better than that bare form as well for me) and if he Kiely can get him back to his best he could run a big race. The latter will be suited by the conditions but enthusiasm is obviously tempered by the fact he is trained by a moron.

First Trim is interesting in the handicap hurdle. Won a Cork handicap last summer more easily than the winning margin suggests in a very decent time I thought from No One Tells Me. Up 11lbs but good ground should suit and might have a bit of scope yet. Alpine Eagle my other against the field. The sort of race that would have you banging your head against brick walls.

Having got Sizing Europe so badly wrong at the Festival, I am more impressed by that performance every time I watch it. Hopefully Twist Magic runs to form, in which case we know we'll have seen an absolutely top 2m performance if he is beaten by Sizing Europe. I reckon 2m on good ground round Punchestown is too sharp for both Forpadydeplasterer and Kalahari King.

The trip is the big issue in the novice chase as well. I thought The Midnight Club very much got the run of the race in the Jewson (would be interested to see the sectionals there ~ poor time perhaps suggests the pace fell apart?) and I actually think this may be on the sharp side for him today, especially if he is held up as normal by Emmet Mullins. There shouldn't be the discrepancy between the Mullins horse and China Rock that there is imo. I'd be hopeful he'd get the trip round here and he seems a horse that comes to himself in Spring.

6/1 on the first show with Bet365 this morning. Kim fontaine was turning into a very smart hurdler before he went off the radar, I imagine he got injured. He was from the famous bumper behind Pizzaro/Rhinestone Cowboy.

rating-star.png
rating-star.png
no-rating-star.png
no-rating-star.png
no-rating-star.png

Bet

Divine Rhapsody
Has just an ordinary pedigree, and a price tag to match, and represents a yard who don't have a particularly good record in such races.

33/1 winner. Off the top of my head I'd have said Phillip Rothwell holds his own in bumpers.

Have had another little saver on Barker at 25s.Very hard to be confident at this time of the year about any horse that has been to one of the main festivals. I'm in heavy enough on Sizing and will try to lay off at 1.12 in running.

OK so no pace on must have been a negative to Sizing Europe. Kalahari King bubble looks burst and Paul Townend brilliant on the winner considering he ran in testing ground in Fairyhouse.

Did anyone see the interview with Willie Mullins interview with Tracey Piggot, comical stuff. Willie Mullins says The Midnight Club was best chance today!

What did Ruby have to say about Twist Magic ?? :ninja:

Skelton seemed to be hanging on to his reins even after the others had jumped off - what a monkey that horse is .

Sizing Europe out to 7/1 for the Champion Chase. Don't all rush at once...

Well, even though I did back him today one of the reason's he was such an outstanding price at Cheltenham was that he went into the race fresh unlike at Leopardstown the time before. Assuming he'll be given a similar prep next year 7/1 is a decent shout.

Back