Punchestown Day 2

Nice performance by the winner but you would hardly be going to war next season with the form of the race next season.

Just thrilled I got my wish and War finished in the frame, ran his heart out. Perfect race for him to finish with, great ride by Davy. I'm so happy War is retired now. You sure know that you are attached to them when you stop enjoying watching them race. Although, have to say, today was totally brilliant. :) Just wish I'd been there. :(

Amazing that Denman is now just 1 win from his last 7 given the level of form he's capable of, and has reached during that time.

Terrific to see HAIRY MOLLY back to enjoying herself again, coming a good honest 2nd @ 20-1.

RTE Racing mentioned that Hairy Molly had broken down after finishing Krizon as the jock had jumped off after the line. Hopefully someone from TH was there and can possibly let us know? Hope it was RTE jumping the gun there.

Oh, feckfeckfeck, NO! I've really liked her from when she first started, but we all know she went well off the boil. I'll be totally pissed-off if this is true. She looked to be really having a good time today, looked bright and very well (not quite as thin as she'd looked in past runs), and this would be too sad for her. I hope that if she has done a tendon, she can now be retired and perhaps breed baby hairies.

Denman's a better horse giving weight to inferior opposition - he's built to carry weight that's just the way he is. The only time he's really looked himself since the heart scare was when giving weight away in the Hennessy.

:lol::lol: not to mention :o:o:o What a feckin eejit I am! Do you know what, I'd totally forgotten that, Martin! What a plonker! In that case, as there's no chance that 'she' will breed hairies, I hope he pulls through and can eventually just do less taxing work than chasing - nice bit o'hacking.

My sincere apologies to the dear horse. I knew years back he was a he, but I always forgot it even then! (He's pretty, too, which doesn't help - but I don't think he's gay!)

Laid Denman for a place at 2-5 and doubled my
bet when he was looking mulish going to the start.Thought he did amazingly well to finish 4th-haven't seen a top class horse run like that since Run For Free.

Really sad to see so few people on here now. Can anyone tell where Ardross , Shadow Leader etc have gone?

Thought he did amazingly well to finish 4th-haven't seen a top class horse run like that since Run For Free.

Yeah I'm amazed Denman went so close in the end. God he jumped very slowly and to the left. He must have lost a lot of ground and if it was the other way around, he would have won. No doubt in my mind.

But he'd have won even an above average renewal of the Gold Cup. He's just a horse who needs conditions exactly right in order to perform.

Denman was beaten after a couple of fences and did well to get so close - far from a straight forward horse though.

Cooldine has become unbelieveably aggressive and keen throughout his races. Hoping it is as a result of his stop start season and that will a full campaign next year he can fulfill his potential. He looked magnificent in the parade ring.

Great run from War Of Attrition - surely would have gone very close in the National.

This afternoon's attendance at Punchestown was 17,057. That figure is 811 more than the corresponding day last year.

The Tote also showed a healthy increase on their turnover compared to twelve months ago. Today's Tote aggregate was €818,476 compared to €718,123 last year.
There was one winner of the Tote Jackpot who received a massive payout of €89,190.

Gal, any idea of what the first day's attendance was, please? Be interesting to know how the course is faring in the teeth of the continuing financial downturn. It looks to defy doom and gloom on today's evidence. Perhaps people are just so fed up with being fed up that they're going to enjoy themselves, and Devil take the hindmost!

Back