Punchestown Day 3

granger

Senior Jockey
A hurdle race to get us going. Son Amix set to go off fav, he was brushed aside rather easily the kast day by the mare

Garde Champetre is a tissue 4/9 for the La Touche

Willie Mullins wins the 3 mile hurdle. Mikael is an intriguing entry back over hurdles. I'd say he will come in for some support

Captain Chris should confirm his ability in the novice chase

OTB or Martin will find a big winner in the bumper

Very poor days racing - small interest in the bumper - will try and actually get some work done tomorrow so I can go racing on Friday! Have done sweet fuck all the last two days....:whistle:

I know he had a few whiskies on board after the two big wins yesterday, but Colm's father was very sweet on Voler.

Cannot have Mikael in the first six - I doubt he would be running only for Ricci - he's hit the deck more often than a 60 year old croupier!! He must feel like I do after a week at Galway - slink to the corner of the stable and face the wall...:p

I'm starting to be put off Mourad. Needs Good ground to be seen at his best. Ground currently dead, rain on its way and will obviously suit the likes of VLV and Luska Lad.

A nice lump on Quevega, and an ew interest in Luska Lad W/O the fav is likely to be my play.

She's a great price - how would the in foal not in foal saga effect her though? Any one any veterinary insight on this?

It won't effect her, but I'd say its had a positive influence on Colm as she is likely to be kept in training next season. Well I hope she is as she could win another few grade 2s next season. She is adaptable trip wise. It's worth remembering that she fluffed her lines against Quevega at Cheltenham and she was beaten a similar distance by Hurricane/Solwhit in the Hattons as Quevega was beaten by Solwhit/Punjabi a few years back. 3m suits Quevega well but if Voler comes through the prelims in good shape, I think she will stay the trip and go on the ground. They have been using ear plugs this season to keep her quiet before the races. I might back her without the fav and just take a chance that she can beat Mourad.

Maybe Grey or Cantoris could help on this one - what happened Lord Gayle in the bumper at Cheltenham?? Seems like he is the outsider of Mullins' two tomorrow. I was quite taken with his previous Navan win even though the form hasn't been marvelous. He would have his chance tomorrow at a reasonable price.

Maybe Grey or Cantoris could help on this one - what happened Lord Gayle in the bumper at Cheltenham??

I don't know, OTB, I was there but I swear I'm innocent.

The form says: "Unseated rider going to post, took fierce hold, held up in midfield, weakened over 4f out, tailed off when pulled up 1f out". It sounds like the occasion was too much for him, much like it was for me too.

Seems like he is the outsider of Mullins' two tomorrow. I was quite taken with his previous Navan win even though the form hasn't been marvelous.

I think the form looks ok, the 2nd and the 4th both won next time out. Presumably the reason he is the outsider of the Mullins pair is that the other one, Vesper Bell, has beaten Aupcharlie, who went on to be third in the Cheltenham bumper. But the Cheltenham race is hard to fathom, and Aupcharlie was well beaten tonight behind Lovethehigherlaw.

He would have his chance tomorrow at a reasonable price

Certainly.

I think Paul Nolan told us he liked Articular?

Last edited:
He said quite a lot - it was difficult to keep up!! Articular's race wasn't a vintage Thurles bumper but did he say he would appreciate better ground as I remember ? It's a decent looking race tomorrow - looking forward to it.

Any thoughts on Luska Lad - he's huge at 20/1 given that he has always looked like he wanted a trip like this. Only 1 lb off Quevega's OR.

If there's a bet on the card, I can't find it. 5/2 Captain Chris/Quvega double will be most punters bet.

If there's a bet on the card, I can't find it. 5/2 Captain Chris/Quvega double will be most punters bet.

Not a great day for punting - Maybe a tickle on Killyglen in the 3m handicap at 16/1 and dutch Articular and Lord Gayle in the bumper possibily. The big race looks difficult to fathom - Voler with Paddy Power Insureabet 3 places at 5/1. Its a tough day.

I doubt if Powers are doing their money back second to SP fav today....

I can't summon any enthusiasm for Articular in the bumper. The race he won doesn't look great and he's a 4-y-old running against older horses, which is never an advantage. The Mullins pair have the best form in the race.

Muliins mentions in the Racingpost that, the winner of the Talking Horses/Winning Ways bumper from Navan, Skorcher will love the distance and while more effective on Slower ground, he does handle Good. With the rain, the current description of Dead ground by most people, as well as PP paying out on 5 places, he's overpriced in my eyes at 20-1.

Double for me today;

Skorcher to place (top 5) at 7/2
Voler W/O Quevega also 7/2

20/1 Double

Back