Punchestown Day 5

Some of the most remarkable of Mullins' training performances have come with horses below the top level. Horses that go to him that all of a sudden have 20+ lbs in hand. The likes of Beroni, Our Monty etc. The sign of a master of his trade as much as churning out Grade 1 winners for me.

Certainly, look at the improvement he got out of thousand stars.

My point is pertaining to those horses in his yard that have reached a level where they cannot win off their handicap mark in the company they are kept in but could win if they where placed to better affect. They're just making up the no.s while he takes the plaudits for the stars.

I think it's very hard to argue with a strike rate of 27% in the season just ended, and 23% over the last five seasons taken as a whole. Only Nicholls and Henderson can match such figures.

I don't think you could achieve a percentage like that without placing your horses to good effect.

Another good indicator, I think, is the ratio of 1st to 2nd, 3rd and 4th places. In this regard Mullins's figures (in Ireland only) are 146 wins, 90 2nds, 63 3rds and 26 4ths. To me these figures suggest excellent placement of his horses.

I think it's very hard to argue with a strike rate of 27% in the season just ended, and 23% over the last five seasons taken as a whole. Only Nicholls and Henderson can match such figures.

it is much more difficult to have a 23% in Ireland than in GB,
Mullins strike rate is much better for me

I don't think you could achieve a percentage like that without placing your horses to good effect.

Another good indicator, I think, is the ratio of 1st to 2nd, 3rd and 4th places. In this regard Mullins's figures (in Ireland only) are 146 wins, 90 2nds, 63 3rds and 26 4ths. To me these figures suggest excellent placement of his horses.

Damned lies and statistics Grey ! My point is quite specific and if anyone goes through (if they're bothered) his runners they will see horses running in races where they cannot win or are up against another of his that has been laid out for the race

Back