Punchestown Festival 2018

Al Boum Photo won despite David Mullins and Shattered Love is no pushover. Now Paul Townsend takes over that is an added bonus worth at least 5lbs IMO.

Monalee was beaten very easily by Percy..a bit too easy for my liking so I am sticking with the Mullins horse.

If you're referring to the Flogas, I'm quite satisfied that Monalee won with more in hand than the bare result would imply. He made all, was only shaken-up after the last to repel all-comers, and never really looked likely to get reeled-in.

As far as the RSA is concerned, he again raced enthusiastically from the front, leaving himself vulnerable to the held-up, thorough-staying, Presenting Percy. Everything else in the race was beaten-off convincingly. Stamina may also have been a factor in the outcome, as Monalee was unproven at the extended 3m1f, whereas PP had won a handicap over 3m5f.....and for my money, Presenting Percy is representative of a high-class RSA winner.

Monalee is already, imo, a demonstrably-better horse than those which oppose him today. Even over hurdles, he was superior; running the current Staying Hurdler very close in the Bartlett last year. Again, nothing else got near.

Three miles (on any ground) is going to be absolutely in the sweet-spot for this horse, and - given a break after Cheltenham - he is all set to improve on his best form. Everything (serious) he is up against, has run again since Cheltenham, and he will have a freshness superiority over them too.

I fully expect another bold-jumping, front-running display, and for them all to be cooked before the straight; including Al Boum Photo and his imaginary 5lbs allowance. :cool:

Monalee is a steering-job - get with the programme. :lol:

Last edited:
Fine fine ride from someone i have besmirched in the past

UDS is some weapon. Never fully warmed to him for some reason but Jesus he is brilliant.

Douvan is done, jumped liked something is not right with him.

Have to agree never traveled like he did at Cheltenham........3 times today Mullins has won with the least expected.........I hate him LOL

I disagree, 2 miles for me on that ground is UDS optimum trip. To say Douvan is finished after that is silly. Forgetting he beat the rest and lost only to a 9 time grade 1 winner.

Clearly not been right all season, get home and boxed and then back next year.

He looked awkward, to me but mind you Punchestown is probably the worst course in racing for watching at home..........camera work is crap

Shame Douvan and Min didn't put best foot forward but no surprise with either.

Fair play to UDS though who took advantage of that.
He just keeps on giving. You have to love that.

Min over the top
Douvan overrated

UDS makes most 2 milers look awkward - except Sprinter .

And coming to the last Fist is rubbing his hands thinking oh well thst is my Douvan money back.....wtf...he seemed to look back and it appeared the horses behind were veering right.so he did too.....guy must be sick

Watched the race on a French stream... Has Townend had anything to say for himself?

Definitely one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in racing.

Currently in the Stewards Room trying to talk himself out of a lengthy ban.

Incredible. Lord knows why he thought he had to bypass the fence. Unless someone on the infield let a roar out or something.

Ruby said on RTE that Puppy Power was raging. Ruby didn't look too pleased himself. :lol:

And coming to the last Fist is rubbing his hands thinking oh well thst is my Douvan money back.....wtf...he seemed to look back and it appeared the horses behind were veering right.so he did too.....guy must be sick

In my opinion this is exactly what he thought

Back