Punchestown Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

granger

Senior Jockey
Great days racing lies ahead

Trafford Lad is due to make debut over fences but faces stiff competition from Kalderon

Then there is the big chase with the return of War of Attrition with Davey Russell on Board. Probably a race best watched but will be great to see WOA back on a racetrack

Anyone have any fancies for anything else on the card

Two coming off a lay off, a horse not as good as he once was and a no hoper. Might be some shorteners for Cheltenham after the big race tommorow but personally I'm more interested in Watson Lake as a betting proposition than either KK or WOA for the race tommorow. Meade traditionally does well pre-Christmas and fingers crossed the presence of the front two will make the price bigger about Watson.

Ground is sure to be very testing. Lets hope they get around safe and well.

Wheels Up is a horse I have been looking forward to seeing over fences. Runs in the beginners chase tomorrow.

Last edited:
Trafford Lad is probably the best horse in the race and while the ground is testing, the 2m2f trip over a track like Punchestown might well be on the sharp side for him.

:) I am so thrilled for War and Mouse and all at his stable. They worked very hard to get him back and he is like one of the family to them. Mouse has been under enormous pressure from everyone telling him what was best, criticising what he has done etc etc - but he has held fast to what he beliveed. This will mean so much to them all.

He was brave in that ground, as was Kicking King. If there is a God in Heaven I would love to see War back at Cheltenham. Just hope his leg is fine tomorrow.

Imagine after that sort of run, if he turns out in the James N at Down Royal he will bounce off the wall.

Hard to know what he achieved there, but he looks to still be a 160+ animal which makes him on a pr for anything trained in Ireland at present. Would be crazy to go to Down Royal. They should target Lexus, Hennessy, Gold Cup and hope nothing goes wrong in between those targets.

Whilst it is too soon to gauge how much ability he retains, that has to go down as one of the greatest training performances in many a long year. Hats off to Mouse - to come back and win a Graded Chase (albeit against a horse with a similarly long absence to overcome; a 33/1 rag; and a horse yet to prove he retains his GC winning ability) it was neverthless a superb performance from both Horse and Handler, the sort of race that brings a tear to the eye. Davy Russell must be delighted to to have won on his boss's best horse, the one that really put Gigginstown on the map.

I have to say I had divided loyalties as I backed both KK and WOA when they won their respective Gold Cups, but whilst I would doubt KK will ever reach his former dizzy heights, with WOA the dream lives on. I don't realistically believe he can topple Denman or Kauto Star, but fingers crossed he can bag a Grade 1 before the season is out.

What is even more pleasurable is that Morris got stick from certain quarters back in April when it was reported WOA had a racecourse gallop. As I recall he was given a right royal slagging for not approaching the rehabilitation in the correct way and riding the horse too soon after his treatment. Having been a long time admirer of this fine trainer (and jockey, yes I am that old!!) it is nice to see him vindicated and the so called experts end up with egg on their faces!

Well said!

I just think that days like this are few and far between and for once, this was a great outcome. I know there will be celebrations tonight. By me for one!

Well said!

I just think that days like this are few and far between and for once, this was a great outcome. I know there will be celebrations tonight. By me for one!

Lovely picture on the RP site of BG and Davy holding hands after the race as the two hold War Horses catch their breath. To quote JP "magic moments"!

What is even more pleasurable is that Morris got stick from certain quarters back in April when it was reported WOA had a racecourse gallop. As I recall he was given a right royal slagging for not approaching the rehabilitation in the correct way and riding the horse too soon after his treatment. Having been a long time admirer of this fine trainer (and jockey, yes I am that old!!) it is nice to see him vindicated and the so called experts end up with egg on their faces!

Who would say such a thing?

A forum newcomer?

Must be someone who has never worked with horses

Can you you chaps contain the smugness and cross your fingers until we see how he pulls out in the morning.

Lovely picture on the RP site of BG and Davy holding hands after the race as the two hold War Horses catch their breath.

It might have been 2 years ago. These days isn't a little bit like watching John McEnroe play Bjorn Borg on the seniors tour.

This topic reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park when a ripple starts at the top of the glass of water. She is coming you know. And it's going to be veeeerrrry scary.

I would dearly love to see WoA back at the top, but today's race was an egg and spoon affair. Let's not go over the top, shall we?

Where has anyone gone over the the top Rory? What harm is it in stating your delight at seeing a Gold Cup winner being brought back from injury to win even an "egg and spoon race"? I do not see anyone on here predicting he will win the Gold Cup this season but yesterdays win was heart warming.

Fortunately racing is not just about the Grade 1, Group 1 races and all the prize money (especially as there is not that much of it about) some of the 'little' races give as much, if not more pleasure to connections and those who enjoy watching racing.

That is why the veteran's races are so popular.

War was fine when he got home last night and ate up again this morning and is sound. Fingers crossed he can remain sound for a season, he enjoys his work and his owners and stable love to see him race.

He beat a rag, a horse who can probably run to about 140 these days and one who blew his chance with jumping mistakes.

Hardly the greatest training performance, he had to get him to the track fit and able to jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back