Punchestown Tuesday

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Thoughts on tomorrow, anyone?

The clash between Fiveforthree and Jered the highlight for me. I think the latter is a potential improver.

Jered looks very short on Betfair relative to Fiveforthree. It will have something to do with the distance of the race but Fiveforthree hardly runs like an out-and-out stayer.

Pomme Tiepy looks the stand out horse i think even tho her form is all on soft she was going well at cheltenham till she fell as long as there is no effect from her fall she should win it.

Would be dissapointed if Jered couldn't beat Fiveforthree tommorrow to be honest, though the Mullins horse is certainly not lacking pace by any means.

Hard to get excited about Punchestown for some reason this time (card tommorrow isn't all that great anyway).

I laid Jered at 11-8 which I think is very short.I also laid a friend of mine evens on Cork AllStar winning another novice hurdle this season after he won his maiden -tomorrow is his last bite at the cherry.
Its been a long hard season and I would like to be a layer this week as far as short priced favourites are concerned.

Winning Ways runs our latest horses Captain Bondi in the Land Rover bumper. We buy one horse a year around this time of year and this fella was bought last June and hopefully he will run a solid race on his first outing. He has plenty of ability but mentally I'm not so sure and he might pull. For those in running punters, see how he gets on in the first few furlong and if he doesnt pull too hard he should be there or thereabouts.

Long season, granted, but I think Schindlers Hunt has improved for a change of jockey. Perhaps crazy to simply side with the Fairyhouse winners but I do fancy him and Jered tomorrow.

I fancy too many in the handicap hurdle to have a strong opinion. Total Victory could run well but I'm still inclined to have a few on The Last Hurrah.

Novice chase is a good race, but again question marks over main protagonists. Of the outsiders, Ballycullen Boy deserves a shout, ran well for a long race in Irish National and maybe didnt get home - he was very prominent though so perhaps ran better than finishing position.

Good luck with Captain Bondi, Cantoris. It's hard to know what he's up against. Is it a sales race, btw?

Yes it's a Sales race, Good Luck Cantoris, would you settle for second, ? I have an interest in that race too :D

I strongly fancy Fiveforthree. Jered has plenty to prove.

Over all I think its a pretty good card. Twist Magic to be taken on? The ground should definitely be riding genuinely good.

Despite not hurdling fluently, I believe Group Captain ran just as good a race at Aintree as he did at Cheltenham, which throws a doubt over the whole Ballymore Properties form. While there are good reasons why Fiveforthree will improve for that run due to the incomplete preparation, it is equally likely that it will have the opposite effect and despite the decent break, there has to be a possibility he will run flat.

I had a good (ie large) bet on Jered when he lost at Fairyhouse in November, I really can't have it that he is going to be one of the seasons top novices now. He looks like he's going the right way but from some way behind.

I thought Cork All Star ran better than his finishing position at Cheltenham and with definitely, genuinely good ground I could see him battling his way to the front and clinging on.

He'd be my tentative choice although it would be no surprise if Fiveforthree found the necessary improvement - It may be that he really didn't want the extra distance in the Ballymore and will prove a better animal stepping back. I felt at the time he won despite the distance rather than because of it - anyone agree?

Originally posted by Sheikh@Apr 22 2008, 07:00 AM
Yes it's a Sales race, Good Luck Cantoris, would you settle for second, ? I have an interest in that race too :D
For me, today is not about winning the race, it's about him enjoying himself and the syndicate who are all first time owners doing the same. He pulls on the gallops but he has been ready for a long time and colm has worked on settling him for the last month. If he does he will run well I hope but not really bothered as long as he runs some race. He will come on so much for a summer. Sheikh, what are you involved in?

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this.

Given that the Bumper is worth as much as the Cheltenham bumper, how come so few horses have even a prep run for the race?

Five for three coming back in trip after Chelt. Surprised at this but who am i to argue with Mullins. Meade seemingly rates Jered highly. FFT has the better form so i'lll side with the Mullins horse

I'd take Fair Along in the 2mile chase. think he is better than the Irish 2 milers and Twist Magic is a dog as of late

The Novice chase is an interesting enough race. Remains to be seen how good FOTP is, can Pomme Tiepy recover from her Cheltenham tip up and Sky's the Limit has to put a disappointing run behind him. With a 14lb weight allowance, Pomme Tiepy gets my vote

Nap - Pomme Tiepy
Lay- Twist Magic

I think that Ballycullen Boy will run above himself in the novice chase.

I will be going against granger and backing Twist Magic, but it will not be a big bet.

I will be following Melendez in on Cork All Star.

Bahrain Storm is a particular friend of mine, and I will be backing him in the big handicap hurdle.

Cantoris I have Alive inside full sister, I know they like him but apart from that nothing at all. if you look at the past winners, Glencove Marina, Hardy eustace and Newmill I too would settle for a nice run.

Tell Shane not to be disappointed they're not going to jump anything, he'll know what your on about norty

The 2m chase is a puzzle. It reminds me of those trompe l'oeil staircases where you keep climbing and turning only to arrive back where you started.

Twist Magic tends to hit one when the pace heats up. He used to keep going in spite of this but not on his last two runs.

The Irish horses don't look good enough, and Fair Along and Natal seem to be running over the wrong trip.

The race could provide an upset. I recall Norman Williamson saying Newmill looked very well at Aintree for the first time this season and I'm going to have a small bet on him.

Can't say I blame you, Granger. Don't worry, I won't be having much on. :P

Another outsiders who I could see doing well today is Salford City. He chased a mad pace at Aintree and didn't do too badly in the circumstances. He's a fresh horse and might be forecast material.

I like Salford city and Finger onthe Pulse today.

Fiveforthree and Pomme Tipy are lays for me.

Fair along could be interesting first time in blinkers

I like Jered in the novice hurdle - a proper 2-miler, and I think he might just run the feet off FiveForThree.

I've taken a small each-way piece of Don't Be Bitin' at big odds in the Kerrygold. The race looks very trappy, he likes the track, and if two or three of these don't run their race, then I reckon he can sneak into the places.

Softer the better for don't be bitin.

Salford city jumped very badly at Aintree, if he gets it together he has a chance.

Back