Punchestown Tuesday

Just back from the track....

Hurricane Fly is a monster...just a freak of an animal. A slow horse would have got Ruby in trouble to day but he took every half gap there was. Just loads of class and loads of guts. Champion hurdle horse and the second could be an Arkle horse.

Was great to see MAster Minded in the flesh....a very taking horse. Big Zeb ran a hell of a race and did remarkably well to get so close to MM given the round of jumping he produced particularly the last fence.

Cooldine did not look well in the parade ring and ran accordingly....a summers break is needed.

You'd think that commentator would have taken the trouble to learn Gone To Lunch's name. Appalling laziness.

Just listening to the interviews now and I staked my life that Nicholls would say "he is an idle horse"....hmmmm I didnt see him pull himself up in his three other races this season!

What rating is Master Minded now?

Rare to see a horse burst through a gap that was, let's be honest, too small like that. Utterly genuine to go with the class.

For those who have seen him more than me - has he been in an end-to-end gallop yet?

You'd think that commentator would have taken the trouble to learn Gone To Lunch's name. Appalling laziness.

Indeed...I wonder will Barry Geraghty (on Gone To Lunch) get a vomit inducing article written for him in the Racing Post much McCoy did after he managed to get GTL to place in the Scottish National! Geraghty kept shoving and pushing away on the horse much like McCoy does and gone the same result....won't get the article though!

Three Grade 1 winners at Cheltenham out today, and they would have all been beat if Big Zeb had jumped the last.

Master Minded didn't seem at all like he was idling. He looked tired to me. Watching him in the closing stages, as well as Cooldine, made me glad Kauto Star stayed at home.

As for Hurricane Fly, I'm very much looking forward to watching him next season. The two mile hurdle division is crying out for a horse like him.

Ah. It was easy to put a line through his run.

Interesting that the RP race summary suggests that Joncol may turn out the best of them next season. Any thoughts?

Ah. It was easy to put a line through his run.

Interesting that the RP race summary suggests that Joncol may turn out the best of them next season. Any thoughts?

Joncol needs around 4 miles. Cooldine is the only possible for genuine Grade 1 honours next season from that field today.

Rare to see a horse burst through a gap that was, let's be honest, too small like that. Utterly genuine to go with the class.

For those who have seen him more than me - has he been in an end-to-end gallop yet?

No, Gareth, but I have zero concerns on that score.

Hurricane Fly has stamina to go with his turn of foot (has won over 2m4f+ in bottomless ground at Auteuil), and he will not get found out by a strong gallop. Indeed, I would expect such tactics to suit him perfectly over the minimum trip.

Master Minded looked to be not striding out properly from just after the third last to me, for whatever reason, maybe he was feeling something but he certainly didn't seem to be full of himself.

Gone To Lunch travelled much sweeter than he has of late, particularly considering the ground would not be to his liking and seemed to respond kindly to having a new rider. I dont think he gets on with McCoy at all, though it is lost on Down, he may have won the Scottish National and other races, if someone else had been on him. I think McCoy has ridden more poor races on this horse than good ones, and there was no reason to put him on the horse in the first place let alone continue to keep him on it when it was clear the horse does not do the McCoy way.

Hurricane Fly has now won twice over hurdles at Punchestown (hacking-up both times), which is a stiff, undulating stiff track like Cheltenham.

He's won on ground ranging from Good-to-Firm to Very Soft (equals Heavy).

He's won left-handed and right-handed.

The horse is bullet-proof.

Is he a 3/1 (or even 5/2) shot for the Champion Hurdle?

Impressive as he has been all year, I don't think so.

Plenty of 4/1 about. The 7/1 in March was well supported (6/1 was best this morning) so the yard must have been very positive of him fully recovering from his problem. Hard to find a fault in any of his form. I'd want to be with him at 4/1 rather than against him.

I find it fairly hard to justify making him favourite for the Champion on any of his form.

In fairness, I wouldn't be laying 4/1. I'm keen on Binocular for next year's Champion.

It will be interesting to see how easy the decision is for Ruby next year assuming all is well with both Celestial Halo and Hurricane Fly.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't on Hurricane Fly.

I fully expect Binocular, assuming all goes well with regards to his preparation and the ground is decent (both big assumptions I know), to comfortably beat Celestial Halo next March.

Hurricane Fly is a fantastic prospect but has to find tons in the book and looks like he will be overpriced in any race since now

Is he a 3/1 (or even 5/2) shot for the Champion Hurdle?

Impressive as he has been all year, I don't think so.

This far from the race? No.

On form? No?

On potential? Remains to be seen.

All I know is that, as a backer of the horse at 8/1 (and 84-to-fecking-1 for the Supreme :mad:), I fear nothing in the division.

I reckon we have only scratched the surface, as far as Hurricane Fly is concerned. The horse has pace, stamina and class in abundance. For me, he only has to improve about 8-10lbs to win a Champion Hurdle, and I am absolutely convinced he has plenty more improvement than that to come.

Am I getting carried away with myself? Indubitably! :D

Master Minded looked to be not striding out properly from just after the third last to me, for whatever reason, maybe he was feeling something but he certainly didn't seem to be full of himself.

Interesting observation. He actually jumped the third last like a buck and looked to pick up quite well to seemingly draw clear fairly effortlessly - turning in he looked to have the rest cooked. Never seemed to pick up after the second last though for whatever reason. Very possible that something was amiss I'd have thought, though he's probably ideally suited by a strong gallop and a decent tow into the race.

A few people (well, maybe just me!) have had a nagging question about Big Zeb's resolution under pressure. Delighted to see the horse quash that doubt today - really good to see him keep finding and finding.

Just looking at his jumping (even putting aside the mistake he made at the last) in the main though, he's been made to look clumsy at virtually every fence today. Needs to improve if he's to get past Master Minded IMO (who is one of the best jumpers of a fence I've ever seen).

Interesting observation. He actually jumped the third last like a buck and looked to pick up quite well to seemingly draw clear fairly effortlessly - turning in he looked to have the rest cooked. Never seemed to pick up after the second last though for whatever reason. Very possible that something was amiss I'd have thought, though he's probably ideally suited by a strong gallop and a decent tow into the race.

A few people (well, maybe just me!) have had a nagging question about Big Zeb's resolution under pressure. Delighted to see the horse quash that doubt today - really good to see him keep finding and finding.

Just looking at his jumping (even putting aside the mistake he made at the last) in the main though, he's been made to look clumsy at virtually every fence today. Needs to improve if he's to get past Master Minded IMO (who is one of the best jumpers of a fence I've ever seen).

Master Minded had absolutely no problem looking like a machine at Ascot when taking it up early, or in last season's Queen Mother.

Back