Punchestown Tuesday

Point taken, Gal. Crossed my mind as I was posting it.

Perhaps something is physically amiss, as Uncle Goober suggests - or could Big Zeb possibly be this good?

Interesting debrief (courtesy of Racenews):

Champion Master Minded made it four Grade 1 wins this season when, aided by a final fence blunder by Big Zeb, held on by a head to take the Kerrygold Champion Chase under Ruby Walsh.

Trainer Paul Nicholls felt a slow pace played against Master Minded, who was sent off 30/100 favourite, and intends to use stablemate Free World as a pacemaker next season.

"We got tight at the second last but he was not really racing. He needs a fast run race," said Nicholls. "I said to Ruby to keep it uncomplicated and it was a gamble coming here because it was the end of the season and he'd been on the go since July.

"My immediate problem is that he needs a pacemaker, he was idling and you don't want to be in that position. You learn about these horses all the time and his best ever run was at Cheltenham last year when they went a flat out gallop.

"I expect we'll run Free World, who is also owned by Clive Smith, next season to ensure they go a decent gallop.

"Big Zeb ran a blinder and if he'd jumped he'd have made a race of it but jumping's the name of the game and we won on the day. Obviously you would say that it was lucky the other horse missed the last fence which didn't help him. But if you just watch Master Minded he just half pricks his ears a bit."

Walsh said: "I was glad to get to the line when it came because I could see Big Zeb coming at me. There was nothing in the race quick enough to lead me. In England you have horses to make a gallop but I could only go as fast as I could make Master Minded go. But he's an incredible horse."

Owner Clive Smith said: "That was a bit close for me! It was a great run from Big Zeb but our's idled a bit in front and we might need a pacemaker or different tactics in the future. He's a great horse and I should think he'll be back in the Tingle Creek then maybe the Victor Chandler."

Big Zeb's rider Barry Geraghty said: "I would imagine that we would have won if we had jumped the last. In fairness, I was very long at it but I had to commit - he just got a bit low and pitched. I went from being upsides to being two lengths down and then only got beaten a head so it was a great run. It was a bit of a pity to get beaten but it a great performance from Big Zeb and we have plenty to look forward to.

Big Zeb's trainer Colm Murphy added: "It's a pity to get so close and not quite get there and if he'd jumped the last it may have been a different story. Our fellow is still on the up and inexperienced and we have something to look forward to next year."

Hurricane Fly would have won this season's Champion Hurdle.....

Master Minded would have won even if Big Zeb had jumped well....

Back