Quarter finals

They've also lost 3 of their last 4 Euro finals too.

You're right about the reliability. It's just the comments people come out with like "never back against Germany" or "22 men and a ball and Germany always win", it's just not true. I love opposing Germany, it's just about picking the right times, because they aren't winners.

They've also never won the World Cup as a unified country, which is a nice stick to beat them with. :ninja:

Last edited:
Never understood the Germany being winners thing, any other country would see them as bottlers. They've lost more finals and big games than any other country in the history of football. Maybe it's the fact that they get there that's impressive but they always lose.

Likewise, Wales would have won more if we actually managed to qualify. We have two of the best players in the world with Bale and Ramsey and the best Manager in world football with Coleman.

They are all lucky that we get the worst qualifying groups coz we'd kick ass over there.

Any way we can sneak into the Bangladesh or China qualifying zones?

Any German team/formation news? (ie, has anyone here managed to get a message to Yogi?)

Yogi is getting some serious heat for a few very testy press conferences these last two days and for stubbornly sticking to his formation. People are not happy and word is that they might try to save face by using some injury issues to put Lahm back in as a fullback. Nothing official but the rumor mill is definitely cranking in high gear

Where are you seeing all this Brendan? Barney Ronay is his webchat today seems to think Lahm stays in midfield...

I live in Germany and speak and read fluent German and follow several different avenues. Your link sounds definitive but the unrest in the background is growing. Several prominent German managers have come out publicly stating that Lahm belongs on the backline. If Germany go out against France there will be a shitstorm of such proportions that will make anything that has happened in say England over the last 40 years look like a fart in a hurricane.

Interesting, thanks. They are a bet at 4/5 for me to qualify but how much depends on the team selection.

Any other thoughts on them? Will it be Schweini or Khedira if Lahm stays in midfield. Can the German media see how bad Howedes is at full back (not his fault)?

Last edited:
Khedira looked OK when he came on last time (after contributing precisely zero in the Group games, imo) but Schweinsteiger is infinitely more dangerous, and deserves the call.

Can the German media see how bad Howedes is at full back (not his fault)?

80 million Germans minus one can see it. :lol:

Löw has so many more possibilities with Lahm in the back. It would bring Schürrle into the mix who works very well with Müller. No other team in this tournament is so deep in midfield yet here they are playing one of the world's best fullbacks in midfield (I suppose he thinks what's good for Pep is good for him) but fails to see that Bayern has a markedly different makeup to start with.

Be a very big (negative) surprise if he goes with Khedira to start. I'm pretty sure Schweini is set.

Switzerland are one of the worst teams I've seen, Belgium not far behind. Rankings don't mean ****, Switzerland are outside the top 20 in the world.

Switzerland are a great team I backed them at 180 and laid them off at 100 and at 70........They're my world champions:lol:

Belgium who were tipped as the dark horses of the tournament have been a money machine for backers.

Everybody I know seems to have had a bet on them with over a million traded between 20 and 40 and looking at the figures more than a few are hanging on to their bets

The in play betting should be interesting even if the game isn't

Last edited:
France are not far off being favourites on BF, which is bizarre considering the prices 2 days ago...

Re France .......
There is a strong possibility that PP will be going 4/1 before the Off.
(Paddy seems to be aggressively sourcing new platforms in his effort to corner the entire betting universe).
You'll get a current 3/1 ( and most probably an eventual 4/1) here -- http://cob.uy/8b72c4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This must be one of the worst articles of the WC. http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/03/david-luiz-leadership-brazil

Luiz, and his emotions, are a handicap for Brazil - he has got it completely the wrong way round.

Also, I read elsewhere that Thiago Silva, captain of Brazil don't forget, was asked by his manager to take the 6th penalty. He refused, and said he would only take the last one, behind even the goalkeeper. And this is the guy who is supposed to be their leader. They are a bunch of fannies.

Last edited:
Given how tight this is all looking, there might be worse bets than a yankee of 90 minute draws. The worst double almost pays for the bet.

I like the German line up (and the French line up), more solid in midfield with both Khedira & Schwein starting in midfield, the manager has also taken on board that home criticism and Lahm is back where he belongs.

I have gone for BTTS double on today's games, cause I am an romantic!

Last edited:
Of the two teams, the Germans have most scope for improvement, and with Lahm moved back, the starting-eleven looks to have a much better balance.

I can see the Fatherland clicking into gear here, and have backed them accordingly - this French side are fairly pedestrian, and haven't had it up them yet.

Back