Queen Anne Stakes

Hamm

At the Start
Not the strongest renewal, though a lot depends on whether Gladatorius is as good as hoped.

Alexandros
Aqlaam
Arabian Gleam
Asset
Cesare
Dream Eater
Famous Name
Gladiatorus
Major Cadeaux
McCartney
Mutheeb
Paco Boy
Perfect Stride
Red Rock Canyon
Thewayyouare
Virtual

I'd agree with that; I didn't expect him to be around this year. An unlucky horse but Gladatorius aside, this is a pretty weak field for the Queen Anne.

The main 2 points to ponder are is Gladatorius as good as he showed in Dubai (a potential 130 monster), and can Aqlaam fulfill the potential showed in last year's Jersey Stakes.

It's difficult to be confident of a horse transferred to Godolphin, as this season the following horses have regressed/not progressed as hoped in their care since being transferred ... Eastern Anthem, Kite Wood, Orizaba (perhaps), Proportional, Ashram, that Dalakhani colt in the Predominate and so on.

I think Aqlaam's Jersey stakes win was slightly overrated. He definitely showed potential, and his greenness meant he was value for more than the bare margin, but at the end of the day it only amounted to beating Il Warrd by a length and a half (i think that was the distance anyway). Being generous, he could have been put on 115/116.

Paco Boy does look quite solid, back on a (likely) fast surface.

Dubai star Gladiatorus to reappear in Queen Anne

By DAVID MILNES10.14AM 9 JUN 2009
DUBAI DUTY FREE winner Gladiatorus, officially the leading active racehorse on the planet, will try to give new trainer Saeed Bin Suroor a remarkable eighth triumph in Tuesday's Group 1 Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Previously trained in Italy, Gladiatorus has been absent since winning all of his three starts for Mubarak Bin Shafya at the Dubai Carnival earlier this year, culminating in his convincing three and a half length defeat of Presvis in the Group 1 Dubai Duty Free Stakes.

Shortly after that victory the son of Silic joined Saeed bin Suroor and on Tuesday the five-year-old impressed in a solo exercise under regular partner Antrioco Murgea during his first taste of the working grounds on Racecourse Side in Newmarket.

Bin Suroor said: "Gladiatorus had a break after Nad Al Sheba but is now in good form and this was his main work before the Queen Anne.

"He has been working away on our private gallop and this was only his second piece of work on grass."
Gladiatorus, who is at 127, the top rated horse onturf in the World Thoroughbred Ratings, 3lb clear of Hong Kong miler Good Ba Ba, covered six furlongs around the bend in smart fashion in his latest workout.
Published monthly, the World Thoroughbred Ratings are produced by a panel of handicappers from countries that are affiliated to the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities.
javascript:void(window.open('http:/...rollbars=1,menubar=0,status=1,resizable=1'));

Seriously though, what the hell is going to beat him? It's taking a risk with Godolphin being the morons that they are but anything above 6/4 looks very generous here. Dettori from the front too...

Red Rock Canyon will be sent out to f*** with him and we'll have the most almighty argument about team tactics ever.

Again :p

I haven't given up on Famous Name winning something decent (if he gets conditions to suit).

Worth mentioning that Gladiatorus is also in the Prince Of Wales's Stakes.

Last edited:
Seriously though, what the hell is going to beat him? It's taking a risk with Godolphin being the morons that they are but anything above 6/4 looks very generous here. Dettori from the front too...

Can't see any opposition really. Gonna try and get 9/4 on Betfair. The Godolphin thing isn't an issue. I haven't a clue what they do to the three year olds they get hold of (whatever happened to Fast Company?) but older horses I don't see them fecking up as much. I believe if a Swain or a Daylami came round again we'd still see a top class animal.

Aqlaam - no form over a mile
Paco Boy - 7f horse who wont stay in top company unless it's an easy mile
Cesare - professional loser worth saving with for a place.
Horses that ran in the Lockinge? - lol

I have a bad record at the Royal meeting and I think the key to doing well is to look for the uncompetitive races and target them. The Windsor Forest has been the one race I want to go for. Have to tuck in here though.

Last edited:
Can't see any opposition really. Gonna try and get 9/4 on Betfair.

I'd wait till tomorrow, suspect you'll see some bookies price up in the afternoon when entries are out. Cocking Suroor hasn't helped matters with his positive vibes. If I can get 2s or above tomorrow I suspect I'll back him.

There is just nothing to take him on, Godolphin have farmed this race in recent years and Dettori will carry him over the line if needs be! :)

I think Thewayyouare will turn up here rather than the race later in the week.

Gladiatorus looks a sound favourite here though and looks tough to beat against this bunch.

A further twist... From the RP....

RISING star of the Flat season Main Aim is set to breathe new life into Royal Ascot's curtain-raiser that is the Group 1 Queen Anne Stakes next Tuesday.
Connections are "seriously looking" at supplementing the exciting four-year-old for the 1m race, first of a triple-header of Group 1 contests to start the five-day extravaganza which had looked at the mercy of Gladiatorus after his Dubai exploits.

Bookmaker Victor Chandler immediately revised betting plans for the race with spokesman Neal Wilkins reporting: "It was a race we wouldn't havebet on until 48-hour declarations as it stood, but if Main Aim is supplemented we will be betting at the six-day stage.

"It adds a competitive edge that was lacking. Main Aim looks like being a strong second favourite behind Gladiatorus."

The bold move would mean Main Aim not only stepping up in class but also trip as he has won over six and seven furlongs so far. The Sir Michael Stoute-trained colt burst back this season with a runaway win in a 6f handicap at Newbury before effortlessly stepping up a furlong and into Group class with his John of Gaunt win at Haydock last time.

Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to owner Khalid Abdullah, said yesterday: "He is an exciting horse and we have to make a decision tomorrow. We will see how he works but we are looking seriously at the Queen Anne, although we haven't totally discounted the Golden Jubilee."

Not sure Ascot fast ground would suit him much either. Says alot about the race to suggested he makes the race altogether more exciting.

He hasn't got a hope in hell over a mile on fast ground but he's a real hype horse and may help get a better price about Gladiatorus judging by the comments of the VC spokesman.

Considering how horses appear to be going into reverse with Godolphin I wouldn't touch Gladiatorus with a bargepole until I had seen him run under their banner.

A further twist... From the RP....
Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to owner Khalid Abdullah, said yesterday: "He is an exciting horse and we have to make a decision tomorrow. We will see how he works but we are looking seriously at the Queen Anne, although we haven't totally discounted the Golden Jubilee."

I guess this means that connections are not enthused about Famous Name's chances despite saying he'd benefit from stepping back in trip.

Main Aim is interesting. They reckon he'd go second favourite.

Perhaps, but Khalid Abdullah doesn't seem to mind his horses taking each other on, so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Would the likely fast ground be a worry for Famous Name?

I think Main Aim would be a poor second favourite, and I think Paco Boy is a better horse and would have a better chance of getting a mile at Ascot.

It's incredible when you think a 3 length beating of Arabian Gleam when you are receiving 5 pounds gets a RPR of 121.

Back