Queen Anne Stakes

Feck all that. After being put away by Gosden with Nannina in the Winsdor Forest I swore that a trainer wouldn't put me off a horse again. And despite Nicholls best efforts with Denman and Gungadu i'm staying with that.

RP reports that Paco Boy was found to be suffering from an infected foot after the Lockinge. This would explain his hanging and Hughes feeling that he was never going .

I'm unconvinced about Paco Boy not staying a mile; he seemed to stay it well enough in the Moulin? And that was on Good to soft. He also seemed to stay well enough in the Celebration mile.

The main worry with him is if Gladatorius gets away it'll be difficult to catch him from where Paco boy is likely to be ridden.

I think there are several angles into this race, and it's one to mull over for a while yet.

That quote just put me off completely. I might back him in running at a lesser price, you'll know after about a furlong whether it's happening or not.

Here's a different slant from Crisford:

"He's been training very well," said Crisford, "and will be straight enough. My only concern is that this will be a new test for him. His last three wins have been on the turning left-hand track at Nad Al Sheba, which he loves and handles very well. The straight mile at Ascot is very different."

Declarations:

Alexandros
Aqlaam
Arabian Gleam
Cesare (Murtagh and not Spencer down to ride)
Dream Eater
Gladiatorus
Mac Love
Main Aim
Paco Boy

Wasn't it something to do with Spacious? She worked under Robert Winston instead of Spencer last summer, though I cannot remember why they were unhappy with him. He hasn't ridden for them at all this season.

In a similar vein...

Alexandros (Rated 87) 9/1
Incredibly tough performer who has been on the go since May last year with only a 2 month break inbetween. Unlucky loser in the Lockinge last time out on ground that probably doesn't suit as well as the better ground he'll get here. Best performance came in Dubai handicap when demolishing a reasonable field by 3.5L, earning an 87 in the process. Finished behind Gladiatorus in the Duty Free and never threatened to land a blow. Unlikely that he’ll reverse that form here but we do know he is race-fit and that his form has remained steady and even progressed under Godolphin.

Aqlaam (Rated 85) 10/1
Winner of last year’s Jersey stakes over 7 furlongs at this meeting in convincing style by 2 lengths, which earned him a rating of 85. Wasn’t seen again since and made his seasonal debut in the Lockinge at Newbury last month, he was weak in the market and was thoroughly trounced, trailing in 2nd last. You could argue that he needed the run and the ground didn’t suit but it was a very poor run with nothing shown in defeat and I’d want to see more before backing him here.

Arabian Gleam (Rated 85) 33/1
Consistent sort who has been doing his winning below this level, his best showing on the clock came at Doncaster last September which saw him win a reasonably weak Group Two on good ground (advertised as Soft ground though). Before that he’d been running in races similar to this and never being able to land a blow, trailing in midfield in the Lockinge, this race last year amongst others. Reappeared this year at Haydock behind Main Aim and subsequent group winner Beacon Lodge. He is clearly a talented horse but doesn’t have the form in the book to trouble the main contenders here.

Cesare (Rated 85) 12/1
Loves Ascot, winning 4 times from 8 runs as well as a third place. Finished 4th in this race last year and was arguably unlucky having encountered a troubled passage and getting a poor ride from Jamie Spencer. That is probably his best form in the book but he makes his seasonal debut here, whilst his record fresh is very admirable (3 wins from 4 reappearances), you have to question whether an 8 year old can win this race as there’s unlikely to be anymore improvement from him and no horse older than 5 has won this race in the past 10 years.

Dream Eater (Rated 79) 40/1
Only has 1 win to his name which came in his two-year old days. Ran some decent races last year, managing a fifth place in the Guineas and a third behind Aqlaam in the Jersey. Ran twice this season, second behind Paco Boy in the Bet365 Mile. Overall, his form and ratings don’t give him much of a chance in this race.

Gladiatorus (Rated 92) 9/4 Fav
An incredibly talented and exciting racehorse who has the potential to be one of the best in years over a Mile. He raced in Italy as a two and three year old where he mopped up pretty seemingly weak Listed races before capping that with a 2nd to the reasonable Scintillo at San-Siro last October. Moved to the Mubarak Bin-Shafya yard for the Dubai carnival where he developed into a monster. Won all three races in Dubai in eye-popping style and on the clock. Started in a handicap off a mark of 108, made all and won easily by 2 lengths after making all (broke the track record), repeated the same tactics in a Group 2 in late February, winning by nearly 6 lengths before stepping up even further on that in the Dubai Duty-Free on World Cup night where he again made all and never saw another rival with his rider celebrating the victory yards from the line (beating Presvis and Alexandros). Those performances clearly show he has an incredible amount of natural speed as well as stamina for staying a mile and on those runs, he is unbeatable here. The question marks come with his new trainer, he has had a break and moved from Bin-Shafya to the Godolphin stable of Saeed Bin-Surrour. Whilst Godolphin have a very good record in this race, they also have a very good record of ruining good racehorses. They haven’t started the year well and a similar type in Eastern Anthem made an inauspicious start to the season at Epsom, as well as other horses which have been bought in from other yards. That said, they have been running well over the past week and some horses that have joined their care have gone well (Moonquake and Yamal). If you’re backing Gladiatorus, you aren’t betting whether he’s the best horse in the race, you’re betting as to whether his new trainer can managed to coax the same scintiliating performances out of him that Bin-Shafya managed in Dubai.

Mac Love (Rated 83) 66/1
Won a weak Group 3 last time out at Epsom which is probably his best performance in a good while and the bottom line is, he doesn’t have the form to get anywhere near the principles in this race.

Main Aim (Rated 88) 9/2
A very progressive horse who started out in handicaps and ended last year on a disappointing note getting well beat in 2 sprint handicaps. Kept in training for this season and won a sprint handicap at Newbury on Lockinge day in very taking style by 7 lengths. Stepped up to 7 furlongs at Haydock last time out in a reasonable Group 3 which wasn’t run at a great pace but he knuckled down and won going away in the end. That is very decent form and he is evidently progressive and will build on that but he’s yet to run over a mile and this is a very tough race and a stiff mile for him to have his first run over it. He still has to improve a great deal to beat an on-song Gladiatorus and at the skinny price of 9/2, he’s not a proposition for me here.

Paco Boy (Rated 92) 7/2
An exceptional horse who has been under rated as he’s been plying most of his trade and top class winning over the relatively unfashionable distance of 7 furlongs. He went from strength to strength last season, starting in an all-weather listed race and ending in the Prix De La Foret at Longchamp on Arc weekend where he won well from Natagora. He earned very high figures on my ratings of 92 in the Hungerford (7f), 92 in the Moulin (1m but subsequently disqualified for a banned substance) and 92 in the Foret. Ran 3 times this year, getting well beat in the Dubai Duty-Free over 1m1f, winning a weak Bet 365 mile at Sandown and finishing 4th in soft ground in the Lockinge behind Alexandros. If this race was over 7 furlongs, I’d think he was a top bet and would be going to town with it but the fact remains, he is yet to prove he is capable of winning over a mile at the top level. He finished 3rd in the Moulin but was never finishing that well in that race and was disqualified in the end anyway and he didn’t look to stay at Newbury. He’s won a soft race over a mile which turned into a sprint up the hill and I’m not sure if the truly run race over the stiff Ascot mile here will show him in his best light.

Conclusion
This race basically revolves around whether Gladiatorus can repeat his Dubai exploits here, I personally see no reason to question the form nor the style of his impressive successes in the UAE. I am deeply concerned about whether Godolphin can get the same results from him here, it has to be mentioned that Bin-Shafya managed to improve lots of horses in his care at the Dubai carnival and he could have benefited from that routine. That said, I just cannot bring myself to oppose him with anything in this field, were there to be another potential superstar in the lineup, I’d probably duck him but there isn’t and the opposition is relatively weak and has many question marks. I therefore think Gladiatorus will probably win this, hopefully in taking style from his genuine stablemate.

Prediction
1st – Gladiatorus
2nd – Alexandros
3rd – Paco Boy

Great stuff, Gamla Stan.

Doesn't look to be much early pace in the race tommorrow either (at least not on paper); if Gladiatorus gets a relatively easy lead, I can see him destroying them.

Great stuff, Gamla Stan.

Doesn't look to be much early pace in the race tommorrow either (at least not on paper); if Gladiatorus gets a relatively easy lead, I can see him destroying them.

Second that, great write up.

Strange as it may seem say this, but you either imagine Gladatorius winning very well or coming in last.

3.55 is too big - i've put a little on now, and will consider more tomorrow morning.

Strange as it may seem say this, but you either imagine Gladatorius winning very well or coming in last.

3.55 is too big - i've put a little on now, and will consider more tomorrow morning.

Would agree with that, I think he'll drift tomorrow and may not even go off favourite. Main Aim is a bloody shocking price really.

I can't see Alexandros out of the top 3, wish I'd taken the 12s last week really.

2.86 on Alexandros to place is a good bet, what with doubts about all those in front of him, never mind the fact he very nearly won a Lockinge.

I would like to see an impressive winner of this to kick start the meeting with the class it requires...looks an ordinary renewal and Glad should win it well if he is as good as some think.

Main aim also a good place lay at 2. I'd fancy Gladatorius, Paco Boy, Alexandros, Cesare to finish in front of him, and possibly Aqlaam.

Aqlaam the forgotten horse of this race imo likes it at ascot after his jersey win last year and I still feel Ascot that for want of a better saying is "horses for courses" if that makes sense. Do feel Gladiatorus could be a monster and Im really hoping the boys in blue haven't sent him backwards

I have not given up on Aqlaam just yet either. Clearly he was not expected to do much at Newbury and a much better effort is surely on the cards tomorrow. In fact he looks a big danger to the favourite if they get him back to his Jersey Stakes form.

It'll be a very sad sight if Gladiatorus drops away tamely in the final 2 and finishes well down the field. Will just start the meeting on a downer.

Thanks for the write ups Gamla. Great stuff!

I'm not happy about this race and will be cautious. Place bets on Main Aim and possibly Aqlaam is where I may well be.

It'll be a very sad sight if Gladiatorus drops away tamely in the final 2 and finishes well down the field. Will just start the meeting on a downer.

Sad? I'll be fuming. This horse, on form should be evens. The bookies have overplayed the Godolphin thing. The Eastern Anthem angle that Segal has been banging on about on RPTV is bogus. EA beat Spanish Moon a nose, Gladiatorius leathered a far better field.

COME ON!

Also, he'll probably touch evens IR whether he wins or not so i've lumped on big style and will lay some back.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to Royal Ascot now. Hope Gladatorius puts in a monster performance and I think he could be 3/4 lengths clear halfway, in which case he'll be difficult to catch.

Alexandros place odds have come down since last night; not sure why I delayed in backing him.

Good luck all.

Back