Queen Anne Stakes

Agreed. Stoute's animals tend to be the most overbet at the Royal meeting and Paco Boy could be worth a saver if Main Aim comes in for heavy support.

Perhaps, but Khalid Abdullah doesn't seem to mind his horses taking each other on, so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Would the likely fast ground be a worry for Famous Name?

I suppose the likely going could be the reason for considering supplementing the other one.

Famous Name is probably at his best on the soft side of good, although it could be argued that he's run okay on the fast side of good. I suppose good or softer and there would be no compliants.

Last edited:
Agreed. Stoute's animals tend to be the most overbet at the Royal meeting and Paco Boy could be worth a saver if Main Aim comes in for heavy support.

Is Paco Boy Boy quite good enough at the trip at this level? I tend to think his Group 2 win at 1m is about as good as he is at this trip.

Alexandros 4.c
Aqlaam 4.c
Arabian Gleam 5.h
Cesare 8.g
Dream Eater (IRE) 4.c
Gladiatorus (USA) 4.c
Mac Love 8.g
Main Aim 4.c
Paco Boy (IRE) 4.c
Virtual 4.c

Blue Square priced it up..

Gladiatorus 7/4
Paco Boy 3/1
Main Aim 5/1
Aqlaam 8/1
Alexandros 10/1
Virtual 10/1
Cesare 14/1
Arabian Gleam 25/1
Dream Eater 25/1
Mac Love 33/1

10s about Alexandros is quite appealing

If Paco Boy was trained by Aidan O'Brien, people would be saying that Paco Boy is only 3/1 - a full 7 points shorter than two horses who beat him last time out - because he's trained by Aidan O'Brien and that he'd be way bigger if anyone else trained him.

True Gareth, can't quite see why he's 3/1. He's never going to see that Mile out.

I strangely like both Godolphin horses, at least with Alexandros, you know he hasn't been ruined and he's ran credibly for them.

I presume it's all down to the likely fast ground. Even so, 7pts shorter than Virtual and Alexandros?

I'd agree 3/1 is too short, and the price differential is clearly too large, but don't Alexandros and Virtual need a little cut to show their best?

I don't have as many doubts as others about Paco boy staying a mile. I wouldn't be sure, but he got it well enough in the Moulin on ground softer than what is likely next week. An extra year on his back, fast ground and Gladatorius apart it's hard to see anything beating him if he's back to his better form.

I think Alexandros will be fine on quick ground, he won on it at Nad Al Sheba and he's gone well on it in the past. It's weird that Dettori is on it.

Ajtebi's instructions will be to sprint the mile if he's on!

100% agree.. Plus, I think he got away with murder in Dubai..

No way, he basically sprinted a mile. No matter how visually lucky he looked, he went off at a break neck pace and never got caught, the others couldn't even lay up with him. It wasn't as though it was a fluke either, he did it twice before the Duty Free. The times of all his races were absolutely awesome too. The horse isn't rated the best in the world for a flukey win.

I agree Godolphin are a worry after Eastern Anthem last week but they've had some horses run well for them and had a winner today. They've released some reasonably positive vibes too. I just can't see what will beat him, the threat comes from his own stable in my opinion as we know the yard haven't ruined Alexandros and he's as tough as nails and Ascot should suit him well.

No way, he basically sprinted a mile. No matter how visually lucky he looked, he went off at a break neck pace and never got caught, the others couldn't even lay up with him. It wasn't as though it was a fluke either, he did it twice before the Duty Free. The times of all his races were absolutely awesome too. The horse isn't rated the best in the world for a flukey win.

I agree Godolphin are a worry after Eastern Anthem last week but they've had some horses run well for them and had a winner today. They've released some reasonably positive vibes too. I just can't see what will beat him, the threat comes from his own stable in my opinion as we know the yard haven't ruined Alexandros and he's as tough as nails and Ascot should suit him well.

I thought that Take and Marwing should have pressured him a lot more in the early stages but (Take especially) simply ignored him thinking he was cheap speed.

I've had a stupid each way on Dream Eater.:ninja: He wasn't far behind Paco Boy at Sandown although he was receiving weight from him and the ground didn't suit last time out. With ifs and buts about so many of the others I think he has a fair chance of sneaking a place and at 40/1 with Ladbrokes, I thought he was worth a little interest.

Regarding Dettori being on Alexandros I think Godolphin said at the start of the season that Ajtebi would retain the ride on Gladiatorus.

Regarding Dettori being on Alexandros I think Godolphin said at the start of the season that Ajtebi would retain the ride on Gladiatorus.

They said the same for Eastern Anthem though. I find it slightly strange and I am a bit worried that Frankie prefers Alexandros because he realises that they've fed Gladiatorus a box of nails or whatever they do to their new recruits.

They must hold harsh initiation ceremonies or something.

I thought that Take and Marwing should have pressured him a lot more in the early stages but (Take especially) simply ignored him thinking he was cheap speed.

I could see why you'd think that but surely two experienced jockeys like Take and Marwing had seen how he'd demolished two decent fields over the same C&D previously and that he'd be making the pace and didn't want to cut him too much slack. I just think he has so much natural speed, they couldn't lay up with him.

I was there that night and I just can't emphasise how impressive it was. I've never celebrated a winner so far out in a race. I think he's an absolute monster and my only concern is Godolphin.

From the Sporting Life...

Frankie Dettori will be on second string Alexandros for the Godolphin operation in Tuesday's Queen Anne Stakes as Ahmed Ajtebi keeps the ride on Gladiatorus at Royal Ascot.
The latter is rated the best in the world following his win under Ajtebi in the Dubai Duty Free at Nad Al Sheba in March, when he was trained by Mubarak bin Shafya.
Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford told www.racingpost.com: "Ahmed Ajtebi rides Gladiatorus and Frankie is on Alexandros. He struck up a great partnership with Gladiatorus during the winter and he is retaining that partnership."
Trainer Saeed bin Suroor said of Blue Square's 7-4 favourite: "Gladiatorus worked very nicely on Tuesday and everything is in place for him to run in the Queen Anne.
"It will be his first race in England but I'm sure that won't be a problem to him.
"I'm sure this horse is top-class, of course he is the highest-rated horse in the world at the moment.
"Like most of ours though, I'm sure he will improve a little bit for this run.
"It really was a great performance in the Duty Free and we are looking forward to seeing him run."

"Like most of ours though, I'm sure he will improve a little bit for this run."

Yes, you wouldn't want to have him peak for the most prestigious meeting in the world :)

That quote just put me off completely. I might back him in running at a lesser price, you'll know after about a furlong whether it's happening or not.

Back